Re: Immigration raid cripples Ga. town

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16 7:53 AM
      America used to welcome immigrants, and America was once great. This
      is what Ken Gralbraith said to Brian Lamb on Booknotes back in 1994:

      "GALBRAITH: I must tell you that in 1934, the second year of the New
      Deal, I was on my way from California to Harvard, and there were
      several months intervening. I stopped to see one of my old professors
      who had a high position in Washington. There was a desperate need for
      economists. That was the most wonderful thing about the New Deal, the
      shortage of economists. He put me on the payroll to make a study of
      some problems of land ownership. It was quite a good job. It paid off
      my college debts. In those days, I was not asked whether I were a
      citizen or not, which I wasn't. There was nothing in the Civil Service
      forms, but I did have to go to the top floor of the Department of
      Agriculture and affirm that I was a Democrat. That was required, but
      not the matter of citizenship."

      The complete transcript is here:

      http://www.booknotes.org/Transcript/?ProgramID=1225

      Ram