Camus was not his steady fare

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 4:18 PM
      http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2006/08/31/2003325616

      Bush fights against lightweight tag by reading Camus
      text

      AFP , NEW ORLEANS
      Thursday, Aug 31, 2006,Page 5

      US President George W. Bush said on Tuesday he's no
      longer reading French philosopher Albert Camus but
      tries to keep his reading list "eclectic."

      Bush, on his 13th trip to New Orleans since it flooded
      one year ago, said he was reading about the region.

      "Well, I'm reading about the battle of New Orleans
      right now," Bush said in an interview with NBC Nightly
      News.

      "I've got an eclectic reading list," he said.

      Bush took some ribbing while vacationing at his Texas
      ranch recently when he revealed that he had read
      Camus' The Stranger.

      "I was in Crawford and I said I was looking for a book
      to read and Laura said `you ought to try Camus,'" he
      said.

      "I also read three Shakespeares," he said.

      He told NBC television that Camus was not his steady
      fare.

      "That was a couple of books ago," he said.

      In a reference to how he is often lampooned as an
      intellectual lightweight, Bush said: "The key for me
      is to keep expectations low."

      The president's public opinion ratings have fallen
      steadily since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, largely
      over the invasion of Iraq, but also over Hurricane
      Katrina, which flooded New Orleans while Washington
      dallied, something he has taken responsibility for
      over the past year.

      Bush said he tried to focus on the job at hand and not
      become distracted by what others were saying about
      him.

      "People spend a lot of -- particularly if you're
      making decisions and hard decisions -- people spend a
      lot of time, not only analyzing decisions, but
      analyzing the decision maker. And I understand that,
      but a president must never let -- let that get him off
      track," he told NBC.