Bush reads Camus's 'The Stranger' on ranch vacation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2006
      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/11/060811231406.rsxjfr54.html

      Bush reads Camus's 'The Stranger' on ranch vacation
      Aug 11 7:14 PM US/Eastern

      US President George W. Bush quoted French existential
      writer Albert Camus to European leaders a year and a
      half ago, and now he's read one of his most famous
      works: "The Stranger."

      White House spokesman Tony Snow said Friday that Bush,
      here on his Texas ranch enjoying a 10-day vacation
      from Washington, had made quick work of the
      Algerian-born writer's 1946 novel -- in English.

      The US president, often spoofed as an intellectual
      lightweight, quoted Camus in a February 21, 2005
      speech in Brussels praising the US-Europe alliance and
      urging other nations to help Washington spread
      democracy in the world.

      "We know there are many obstacles, and we know the
      road is long. Albert Camus said that 'freedom is a
      long-distance race.' We're in that race for the
      duration," Bush said in those remarks.