Bush uses first-ever veto to kill popular stem cell bill

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19 1:54 PM
      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/19/060719183426.77ijlglm.html

      Bush uses first-ever veto to kill popular stem cell
      bill
      Jul 19 2:34 PM US/Eastern

      US President George W. Bush used his legislative veto
      for the first time to block a bill that would have
      expanded federal funding for embryonic stem cell
      research.

      "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society
      needs to respect, so I vetoed it," Bush said at the
      White House.

      The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, passed by the
      US Senate on Tuesday, would lift rules Bush set in
      2001 that make federal funds available only for
      research on a small number of embryonic stem cell
      lines which existed at that time.

      Supporters have said the research offers major hope to
      cure many life-threatening illnesses including
      Parkinsons disease and Alzheimers' disease.

      But the president had repeatedly threatened to veto
      the bill on moral grounds.

      "We must also remember that embryonic stem cells come
      from human embryos that are destroyed for their cells.
      Each of these human embryos is a unique human life
      with inherent dignity and matchless value," Bush said
      in his comments to specially invited families at the
      White House.

      "Some people argue that finding new cures for disease
      requires the destruction of human embryos," Bush said,
      before adding: "I disagree.

      "I believe that with the right techniques and the
      right policies we can achieve scientific progress
      while living up to our ethical responsibilities."
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19 5:38 PM
        Thanks to this pro-death, pro-suffering administration we have to wait
        another 2 years to see the passage of the bill. It's a tragic day to
        American and mankind.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19 9:11 PM
          Sad as that is, it should usher in some pro stem cell
          politicans in Nov. At every turn, this guy gets it
          wrong.. I didn't he could pass his ancestor Franklin
          Pierce, who I have as the 3rd worst president ever,
          but he might suprise me...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20 5:18 AM
            > wrong.. I didn't he could pass his ancestor Franklin
            > Pierce, who I have as the 3rd worst president ever,
            > but he might suprise me...

            He was already below Pierce to me after Katrina. Unless some really
            great happens in the remaining days of his presidency, he will be
            remembered as the worst president that America ever had.