U.S. will give detainees Geneva rights

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 7:22 AM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_go_pr_wh/congress_guantanamo;_ylt=AtTmvf2VMbVK4EBy8Ql6n.Ss0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

      U.S. will give detainees Geneva rights

      By ANNE PLUMMER FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer 16
      minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - The Bush administration said Tuesday that
      all detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and in all
      other U.S. military custody around the world are
      entitled to protections under the Geneva Conventions.

      White House spokesman Tony Snow said the policy,
      outlined in a new Defense Department memo, reflects
      the recent 5-3 Supreme Court decision blocking
      military tribunals set up by
      President Bush.

      The policy, described in a memo by Deputy Defense
      Secretary Gordon England, appears to reverse the
      administration's earlier insistence that the detainees
      are not prisoners of war and thus subject to the
      Geneva protections.

      Word of the Bush administration's new stance came as
      the Senate Judiciary Committee opened hearings Tuesday
      on the Guantanamo issue — which is testing unity among
      Republicans on Capitol Hill, with lawmakers trying to
      decide in an election season how military detainees
      should be tried and what their rights should be.

      Snow insisted that all U.S. detainees have been
      treated humanely. Still, he said, "We want to get it
      right."

      "It's not really a reversal of policy," Snow asserted,
      calling the Supreme Court decision "complex."

      He said efforts to spell out more clearly the rights
      of detainees does not change the president's
      determination to work with Congress to enable the
      administration to proceed with the military tribunals,
      or commissions. The goal is "to find a way to properly
      do this in a way consistent with national security,"
      Snow said.

      Snow said that the instruction manuals used by the
      Department of Defense already comply with the
      humane-treatment provisions of Article 3 of the Geneva
      Conventions. They are currently being updated to
      reflect legislation passed by Congress and sponsored
      by Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record),
      R-Ariz., to more expressly rule out torture.

      "The administration intends to work with Congress,"
      Snow said.

      "We want to fulfill the mandates of justice, making
      sure we find a way properly to try people who have
      been plucked off the battlefields who are not
      combatants in the traditional sense," he said.

      "The Supreme Court pretty much said it's over to you
      guys (the administration and Congress) to figure out
      how to do this. And that is where this is headed. And
      we look forward to working with Congress on this."
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11 10:53 AM
        Our expectations have gotten so low that a $300 billion annual budget
        deficit and obeying the Geneva Convention are might good news to us.