Re: Media vs. the government

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
      Rich,

      One more quick point. Using your arguements the press might not have
      wanted to follow up on Watergate since we were in a 'hot' war in SE
      Asia and a 'cold' war with USSR. Using your arguements there might
      be no real good time to ever report the actions of any President.
      How convenient for them.

      Gregory

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <greggolopry@...>
      wrote:

      > As I have stated before in another time and forum a news consumer
      > brings his/her own set of biases along when they open a newspaper
      or
      > turn on the evening news. It is quite clear from your posts that
      you
      > might have some of these biases and therefore you view this
      > publication or that network in a way others may not.
      >
      > But having said that I think it vital to every American to
      understand
      > what the role of the fourth estate is. It is not there to be our
      > friend, a government puppet, a lackey for this way of thinking or
      > that. Reporters report!! Short and simple. It is only when we try
      > to bastardize their stories to fit purposes above and beyound the
      > role they were written for that problems develop.
      >
      > Being a good news consumer requires some ability to think and be a
      > good constructive reader. How many Americans still fail to
      > understand how the reporters are seperate from the editorial
      writers
      > and the Op/Ed pages is something I am continually amused over.
      > However, failing to understand why the press must report news that
      we
      > may not want to know frightens me.
      >
      > There is ample proof that Bush and his White House are using all
      > sorts of devices to enlarge the role of the Executive Branch.
      (Barry
      > Goldwater type conservatives hate this idea. Modern day
      > conservatives find this great...wait until the Dems take back the
      WH

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
        That logic would also incent Presidents to wage war to
        avoid press scrutiny, as practiced masterfully by the
        current adminstration.

        Tom

      • richard kelly
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
          Tom:

          Gee, paranoid and no footnotes.

          You must be reading too much Chumpsky (that chump)
          or the Nation or Mother Jones or whatever

          R.K.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
            I've never read any of those. I just think that
            backing up assertions with facts helps makes one
            case...

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
              > You must be reading too much Chumpsky (that chump)
              > or the Nation or Mother Jones or whatever

              Computers would still be giant calculators in university research labs
              without that chump. And this discussion wouldn't have taken place at all.