Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Another quote from Bill Clinton

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
      Rep. Abraham Lincoln (R.Il) stood before the House of
      Representatives in 1848 and harshly criticized
      President Polk for getting us into the
      Mexican-American War for political purposes, and
      conventional wisdom was that his political career was
      over because he had criticized the administration in a
      time of war.
      President McKinley was against the Spanish-American
      War but the newspapers had public opinion so solidly
      for the war that he knew he would never get re-elected
      if he opposed it. Shame on all the senators that
      supported the war, or rather gave Bush the
      authorization, but shame on the administration for
      getting us into what may turn out to be the biggest
      mistake in US history. And if that wasn't bad enough,
      handling the post-occupation with mind-boggling
      incompetence.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
        > Rep. Abraham Lincoln (R.Il) stood before the House of
        > Representatives in 1848 and harshly criticized
        > President Polk for getting us into the
        > Mexican-American War for political purposes, and
        > <snip>
        > President McKinley was against the Spanish-American
        > War but the newspapers had public opinion so solidly
        > for the war that he knew he would never get re-elected
        > if he opposed it. Shame on all the senators that

        But the Republicans were then predominantly the liberals. Party
        switching didn't really happen until Thurmond's switching in the late
        fifties. Just thought I should mention that.