Re: Another quote from Bill Clinton

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      > That very same Wall Street Journal editorial of November
      > 18,2005 also has this Clinton quote.

      I neither thought that going to Iraq was a wise move since the very
      beginning nor have any intention or motivation to defend the position
      the Democrats. Most Democrats in Washington are "gutless worms" to
      paraphrase Cafferty's description on Arlen Specter.

      I honestly think that the Iraq war has turned the War on Terror into a
      war that will last for generations and made Orwell's world of 1984 a
      reality.

      Ram
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
        Ram,

        As we know there were many voices raised against the invasion of Iraq.
        One of my Democratic Senators, Russ Feingold, when voting NO on the war
        had this to say.

        "But, Mr. President, I am increasingly troubled by the seemingly
        shifting justifications for an invasion at this time. My colleagues,
        I'm not suggesting there has to be only one justification for such a
        dramatic action. But when the Administration moves back and forth from
        one argument to another, I think it undercuts the credibility of the
        case and the belief in its urgency. I believe that this practice of
        shifting justifications has much to do with the troubling phenomenon of
        many Americans questioning the Administration's motives in insisting on
        action at this particular time.

        What am I talking about? I'm talking about the spectacle of the
        President and senior Administration officials citing a purported
        connection to al Qaeda one day, weapons of mass destruction the next
        day, Saddam Hussein's treatment of his own people on another day, and
        then on some days the issue of Kuwaiti prisoners of war.

        Mr. President, for some of these, we may well be willing to send some
        250,000 Americans in harm's way. For others, frankly, probably not.
        These litanies of various justifications -- whether the original draft
        resolution, the new White House resolution, or regrettably throughout
        the President's speech in Cincinnati -- in my view set the bar for an
        alternative to a U.S. invasion so high that, Mr. President, I'm afraid
        it almost locks in -- it almost requires -- a potentially extreme and
        reckless solution to these problems."

        I think words of this type will be the ones history will review and
        recite when observing the wrong and deadly course our country finally
        took.

        Gregory

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
          Rep. Abraham Lincoln (R.Il) stood before the House of
          Representatives in 1848 and harshly criticized
          President Polk for getting us into the
          Mexican-American War for political purposes, and
          conventional wisdom was that his political career was
          over because he had criticized the administration in a
          time of war.
          President McKinley was against the Spanish-American
          War but the newspapers had public opinion so solidly
          for the war that he knew he would never get re-elected
          if he opposed it. Shame on all the senators that
          supported the war, or rather gave Bush the
          authorization, but shame on the administration for
          getting us into what may turn out to be the biggest
          mistake in US history. And if that wasn't bad enough,
          handling the post-occupation with mind-boggling
          incompetence.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
            > Rep. Abraham Lincoln (R.Il) stood before the House of
            > Representatives in 1848 and harshly criticized
            > President Polk for getting us into the
            > Mexican-American War for political purposes, and
            > <snip>
            > President McKinley was against the Spanish-American
            > War but the newspapers had public opinion so solidly
            > for the war that he knew he would never get re-elected
            > if he opposed it. Shame on all the senators that

            But the Republicans were then predominantly the liberals. Party
            switching didn't really happen until Thurmond's switching in the late
            fifties. Just thought I should mention that.