The End of the Electoral College as We Know it?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2006
      http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20060601_electoral_college_reform/

      The End of the Electoral College as We Know it?

      Posted on Jun 1, 2006

      The California Assembly passed a measure to pledge the
      state’s Electoral College votes to the presidential
      candidate who wins the national popular vote (as
      opposed to giving its Electoral College votes to the
      winner of the California popular vote).
      This would come into effect only if enough other
      states passed similar measures. But if it happens, it
      will mean the end of the Electoral College as we know
      it.

      L.A. Times:

      SACRAMENTO — Seeking to force presidential
      candidates to pay attention to California’s 15.5
      million voters, state lawmakers on Tuesday jumped
      aboard a new effort that would award electoral votes
      to the candidate who wins the popular vote nationwide.

      As it is now, California grants its Electoral
      College votes to the candidate who wins the popular
      vote in the state. Practically speaking, that means
      Democrat-dominated California spends the fall
      presidential campaign on the sidelines as candidates
      focus on the states — mostly in the upper Midwest —
      that are truly up for grabs.

      Under a bill passed by the Assembly, California
      would join an interstate compact in which states would
      agree to cast their electoral votes not for the winner
      in their jurisdictions but for the winner nationwide.
      Proponents say that would force candidates to broaden
      their reach to major population centers such as
      California.