Lloyd Bentsen, former senator and treasury secretary, dies at 85

    Message 1 of 2 , May 23 9:05 AM
      http://cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/23/bentsen.obit.ap/index.html

      Lloyd Bentsen, former senator and treasury secretary,
      dies at 85
      Texan ran for vice president in 1988

      Tuesday, May 23, 2006; Posted: 11:45 a.m. EDT (15:45
      GMT)

      HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Lloyd Bentsen, a courtly Texan
      who represented the state in Congress for 28 years and
      served as President Clinton's first treasury
      secretary, died Tuesday morning, his family said. He
      was 85.

      Bentsen, also the Democratic 1988 vice presidential
      nominee, died at his home in Houston.

      It was during that campaign that he told rival Dan
      Quayle in a debate, "You're no Jack Kennedy."

      His distinguished political career took him from the
      humble beginnings of a county office in the Rio Grande
      Valley in the 1940s to six years in the U.S. House, 22
      in the U.S. Senate and two in the Clinton Cabinet,
      where he was instrumental in directing the
      administration's economic policy.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23 10:01 AM
        For some reason I'm quite saddened by this. Bentsen was a statesman.
        Perhaps that's why. May he rest in peace.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>