Re: Nagin Wins Re-Election as Big Easy Mayor

    Message 1 of 4 , May 21 10:30 AM
      Too bad that Mitch Landrieu has a sister named Mary Landrieu, whose
      popularity in her home state has become a burden to the Landrieus.

      Mary Landrieu already votes like a Republican in the Senate, but
      obviously that's still not good enough to the Louisianians.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Randal M. Brown"
      <munnie_mee@...> wrote:

      > I personally was wishing he would be defeated. I just simply didn't
      care for his rantings during Katrina. I understand his and the rest of
      New Orleans frustrations, but I thought he went a little overboard.

      http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NEW_ORLEANS_MAYOR?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-20-16-43-55

> [...]
      > leadership styles.
      >
      > Nagin, a janitor's son from a black, working-class
      > neighborhood, is known for his improvisational, some
      > say impulsive, rhetoric. After Katrina plunged his
      > city into chaos, Nagin was both scorned and praised
      > for a tearful plea for the federal government to "get
      > off their (behinds) and do something" and his
      > now-famous remark that God intended New Orleans to be
      > a "chocolate" city.
      >
      > In his concession speech, he reached out to his former
      > enemies, thanking President Bush for keeping his
      > commitment to rebuild New Orleans and Gov. Kathleen
      > Blanco for "what she is getting ready to do."
      >
      > Landrieu, who served 16 years in the state House
      > before being elected to his current post of lieutenant
      > governor two years ago, touted his ability to bring
      > people together and get things done.
      >
      > The scion of a political dynasty known as Louisiana's
      > version of the Kennedys, he's the brother of Sen. Mary
      > Landrieu and had hoped to be the first white mayor in
      > a generation, since his father, Moon Landrieu, left
      > office in 1978.
      >
      > Landrieu echoed the theme of his campaign - a call for
      > unity - as he conceded to Nagin.
      >
      > "One thing is for sure - that we as a people have got
      > to come together so we can speak with one voice and
      > one purpose," he said. "Join with me in supporting
      > Mayor Nagin."
      >
      > Fewer than half of New Orleans' 455,000 pre-Katrina
      > residents are living in the city, and a large number
      > of blacks scattered by the storm have yet to return.
      >
      > Evacuees arrived by bus from as far as Atlanta and
      > Houston to vote. More than 25,000 ballots were cast
      > early by mail or fax or at satellite polling places
      > set up around Louisiana earlier in the month - 5,000
      > more than were cast early in the primary.
      >
      > Nagin, who had widespread support from white voters
      > four years ago, lost much of that support in last
      > month's primary but predicted a stronger showing this
      > time.
      >
      > Results from Louisiana's Secretary of State's Office
      > showed that he got it. Absentee and early votes went
      > slightly for Nagin. And while the results showed Nagin
      > carrying majority black precincts and Landrieu winning
      > in majority white ones, Nagin pulled a significant
      > crossover vote in some heavily populated predominantly
      > white precincts in Uptown New Orleans.
      >
      > Turnout appeared to be on-par with the April 22
      > primary, when about 37 percent of eligible voters cast
      > ballots.
      >
      > "I want the city to come back," said 61-year-old Alice
      > Howard, an evacuee who returned by bus from Houston to
      > cast her ballot. "This is my city. This is home to me.
      > ... I want to make sure the correct person takes care
      > of home."
      >
      > --
      >
      > AP reporters Brett Martel, Kevin McGill and Hank
      > Ackerman contributed to this report.

      > President bush President george w bush President bush

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using
      Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 21 7:03 PM
        And here's something interesting about that election:

        http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5no.htm

        DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE WORKED TO DEFEAT NAGIN

        **Exclusive**

        The Democratic National Committee (DNC) secretly placed political
        operatives in the city of New Orleans to work against the reelection
        efforts of incumbent Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin, the DRUDGE REPORT has
        learned.

        DNC Chairman Howard Dean made the decision himself to back mayoral
        candidate and sitting Lieutenant Governor Mitch Landrieu (D-LA),
        sources reveal.

        Dean came to the decision to back the white challenger, over the
        African-American incumbent Nagin, despite concerns amongst senior
        black officials in the Party that the DNC should stay neutral.

        The DNC teams actively worked to defeat Nagin under the auspice of the
        committee's voting rights program.

        The party's field efforts also coincided with a national effort by
        Democrat contributors to support Landrieu.

        Landrieu had outraised Nagin by a wide margin - $3.3 million to $541,980.

        Preliminary campaign finance reports indicate many of Landrieu's
        contributions came from out of state white Democrat leaders and
        financiers, including a $1,000 contribution from Sen. Ben Nelson's
        (D-NE) PAC.

        The defeat of Mitch Landrieu is the latest setback for Dean's often
        criticized field operation.

        In his victory speech late Saturday night, Nagin praised President Bush.

        "You and I have probably been the most vilified politicians in the
        country. But I want to thank you for moving that promise that you made
        in Jackson Square forward," Nagin said.