Quotes in response to Bush's immigration speech

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2006
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516/ap_on_go_pr_wh/immigration_quotes;_ylt=Amm.k0dP5S7396jZqydAzmoGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

      Immigration Quotes

      By The Associated Press 31 minutes ago

      Quotes in response to President Bush's border security
      proposal:

      "It is not enough for President Bush to tell us he
      wants to increase security at our borders. After all,
      he's had five years to do it. If he wants to be
      credible on border security, he must acknowledge his
      mistakes and commit to fixing them." — Democratic
      Senate Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

      __

      "Utilizing the National Guard is an effective,
      short-term stopgap to immediately strengthen border
      security as long-range reforms begin to take effect."
      — Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

      __

      "The decision to send troops is the shot in the arm we
      need to strengthen our borders and protect our
      families." — House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill.

      __

      "We must protect our borders, but militarizing our
      borders is a desperate response by the president to
      his and Republican Congress' policy failures." — House
      Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California.

      __

      "While I appreciate the president's willingness to
      tackle big problems, I have real concerns about moving
      forward with a guest worker program or a plan to
      address those currently in the United States illegally
      until we have adequately addressed our serious border
      security problems." — House Majority Whip Roy Blunt,
      R-Mo.

      __

      "If the president thinks by taking one step forward
      with enforcement the House will follow with two steps
      backwards with amnesty, he's confusing us with the
      Senate." — Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo.

      __

      "We don't need a military solution to break a
      political stalemate." — Sen. Richard Durbin (news,
      bio, voting record), D-Ill.

      __

      "Until the federal government can convince the
      American people that it is serious about securing our
      borders, it will be hard to consider other factors of
      immigration reform." — Sen. Jon Kyl (news, bio, voting
      record), R-Ariz.

      __

      "Unarmed National Guard troops driving bulldozers, who
      can't make arrests, would essentially be useless." —
      Rep. John, Culberson, R-Texas.

      __

      "The National Guard already is stretched to the limit
      by repeated tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as
      providing disaster assistance in their own states." —
      Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record),
      D-Mass.

      __

      "A wave of anti-American sentiment is already sweeping
      across Latin America, and a deployment of military
      forces to the U.S.-Mexico border will only fuel these
      views." — Rep. Silvestre Reyes (news, bio, voting
      record), D-Texas

      __

      "If the Guard can go to work on the fence between
      Douglas, Ariz. and Calexico, Calif., immediately,
      they've got a chance of saving lots of lives during
      the hot season, which is going to commence in about 20
      days." — Rep. Duncan Hunter (news, bio, voting
      record), R-Calif.

      __

      "Why not just hire more Border Patrol agents?" — T.J.
      Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol
      Council, the Border Patrol union.