Bush Approval Rating Hits the 20s for First Time

    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2006
      http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002501667
      Bush Approval Rating Hits the 20s for First Time

      By E&P Staff

      Published: May 11, 2006 11:10 PM ET

      NEW YORK President Bush's job approval rating has fallen to 29%, its
      lowest mark of his presidency, and down 6% in one month, according to
      a new Harris poll. And this was before Thursday's revelations about
      NSA phone surveillance.

      Of 1,003 U.S. adults surveyed in a telephone poll, 29% think Mr. Bush
      is doing an "excellent or pretty good" job as president, down from 35%
      in April and 43% in January.

      Roughly one-quarter of U.S. adults say "things in the country are
      going in the right direction," while 69% say "things have pretty
      seriously gotten off on the wrong track."

      Some 28% of Americans said they consider Iraq to be one of the top two
      most important issues the government should address, up from 23% in
      April. Interest has faded slightly in the immigration issue.

      Other recent major polls have pegged Bush's approval rating from 31%
      to 37%.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2006
        I think his Dad bottomed out around 28/29%.. son like
        father..

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM

        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2006

          http://politicalarithmetik.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-low-can-approval-go.html
          Saturday, March 04, 2006
          How low can approval go?

          Approval at the low ebb of post-war presidencies by partisan groups.
          (Kennedy and Johnson are omitted due to missing data.) President Bush
          is helped substantially by the still solid support from Republicans.
          This partially compensates for his below par performance among
          independents and Democrats. The Bush data points are for his current
          standing (March 1) of 38%, not his all time low of 37% on November 13,
          2005. (Can you guess who the unlabeled points are? Test your
          knowledge. Answers are at the bottom of this post.) Hint: Click on the
          figure and then again for optimal resolution.

          Reader Stephanie M. wrote in with an excellent question today: How low
          can presidential approval fall? Is there some natural lower limit
          below which it cannot go. At the same time, some Democratic partisans
          are posing the same question, though with more glee than scientific
          curiosity.

          The short answer, of course, must be that no one knows how far
          President Bush's approval rating can and will fall. My view is that
          this is primarily a function of events, the economy, and presidential
          leadership success or failure. Some presidents have fallen quite low
          and then rebounded while others have become mired in their slumps and
          make only modest recoveries. Lacking a crystal ball, I have no idea
          what successes or failures may be forthcoming from the White House, so
          I'm not trying to make a prediction of the bottom of approval for the
          Bush presidency. Rather I'm trying to answer Stephanie's question and
          put the President's approval ratings in some more perspective.

          First, I'm using only Gallup data in order to have comparability over
          time, so no CBS 34% here. At his current 38% Gallup approval,
          President Bush can take some (small) comfort in the fact that every
          president since Kennedy has fallen below 38% at some time in their
          presidency. Here are the low points and their dates:

          Truman, 22%, 14 Feb 1952 All time low.**
          Eisenhower, 48%, 1 Apr 1958
          Kennedy, 56%, 17 Sep 1963
          Johnson, 35%, 12 Aug 1968
          Nixon, 23%., 7 Jan 1974
          Ford, 37%, 13 Jan 1975 and 31 Mar 1975
          Carter, 28%, 2 Jul 1979
          Reagan, 35%, 31 Jan 1983
          Bush (GHW), 29%, 2 Aug 1992
          Clinton, 37%, 6 Jun 1993
          Bush (GW), 37, 13 Nov 2005

          ** Gallup cites 23% as the record low for Truman. The Roper Center
          polling archive contains the February 1952 poll cited above which
          seems to show a 22% rating. I doubt Gallup has this wrong, so there
          may well be a problem with the Roper Center data. I'm trying to get
          this clarified. So accept either 22 or 23 as the record.

          (Truncated)