DeLay sets June 9 resignation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2006
      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-05-11T215619Z_01_N11432356_RTRUKOC_0_US-DELAY.xml
      DeLay sets June 9 resignation
      Thu May 11, 2006 5:56 PM ET

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas said on Thursday he
      would formally resign his seat in Congress effective June 9, clearing
      the way for another Republican to take his spot on the November
      election ballot.

      DeLay, the former Republican House leader and once one of the most
      powerful politicians in Washington, announced last month he would step
      down from Congress after becoming embroiled in the scandal involving
      lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

      "I have recently made the decision to pursue new opportunities to
      engage in the important cultural and political battles of our day from
      an arena outside the U.S. House of Representatives," Delay said
      Thursday in a letter to House Speaker Dennis Hastert.

      DeLay said last month he would step aside to give the party a better
      shot at holding his House seat in Texas. Seven Republicans are vying
      for the right to replace DeLay in the November race against Democrat
      Nick Lampson.

      The contenders interviewed over the weekend with local party leaders
      in DeLay's home district. The local leaders will pick the new
      candidate, probably sometime in June, in a race considered potentially
      one of the most competitive in the country.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2006
        And it looks like it may be a three-way race, with
        Lampson the Democrat, whoever the Republicans pick,
        and a former Republican congressman running as an
        independent.

        http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-stockman_11tex.ART.State.Edition1.1daaaaac.html

        Ex-House member says he'll run again

        Aide says Stockman has signatures to be on ballot for
        DeLay's seat

        08:37 AM CDT on Thursday, May 11, 2006

        Associated Press

        HOUSTON – Former one-term Congressman Steve
        Stockman, known more for his outrageous statements
        than legislation, has collected enough voter
        signatures to run as an independent candidate in the
        race to replace former House Majority Leader Tom
        DeLay, his spokesman said Wednesday.

        Mr. Stockman has collected more than the 500
        signatures needed from registered voters to be on the
        November ballot, said spokesman Jason Posey.

        "We are continuing to collect them to show the
        grass-roots effort that Steve has for this office," he
        said.

        But Mr. Posey said he didn't immediately know how many
        total signatures the campaign had gathered and
        initially told The Associated Press on Wednesday that
        the deadline was still a month away.

        Mr. Stockman's campaign planned to turn in the
        signatures by the state's deadline of today.

        Secretary of State Roger Williams' office still has to
        verify the signatures, which will take five to six
        weeks, said spokesman Scott Haywood.

        Mr. DeLay, R-Sugar Land, embroiled in the scandal
        surrounding corrupt lobbyist Jack Abramoff and facing
        a money-laundering trial in Austin, announced last
        month that he would resign by mid-June.

        Former U.S. Rep. Nick Lampson, who replaced Mr.
        Stockman in Congress, is the Democratic nominee.
        Precinct chairmen from the four counties that make up
        the 22nd Congressional District will select a
        Republican nominee once Mr. DeLay resigns.

        Mr. Stockman won election during the 1994 Republican
        sweep of state offices, defeating 21-term incumbent
        Jack Brooks, D-Beaumont.

        During his term, Mr. Stockman accused the government
        of "executing" members of the Branch Davidian cult
        after the 1993 standoff at Waco. And he claimed to
        have received a fax from a militia supporter that
        seemingly foretold the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.
        The fax actually was sent after the bombing.

        He also called President Bill Clinton "an
        abortionist."

        Mr. Lampson defeated Mr. Stockman in 1996.

        Mr. Stockman twice sought and lost the GOP nomination
        for the Texas Railroad Commission, which regulates oil
        and gas industries.