Ahmadinejad's letter

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 9:31 PM
      I do not endorse Ahmadinejad in any way, but his
      letter's actual text seem to have been ignored by the
      mainstream media (though, admittedly, I've been too
      busy recently to pay much attention to the media, but
      that's the feeling I've gotten). So here's a
      translation made by a French newspaper, if anyone's
      interested in reading it.

      http://medias.lemonde.fr/mmpub/edt/doc/20060509/769629_lettre.pdf

      NEWS YOU WON'T FIND ON CNN

      Full Text : The President of Iran's Letter To
      President Bush

      Translated by "Le Monde"

      Posted 05/09/06

      Mr George Bush,

      President of the United States of America

      For sometime now I have been thinking, how one can
      justify the undeniable contradictions
      that exist in the international arena -- which are
      being constantly debated, specially in political
      forums and amongst university students. Many questions
      remain unanswered. These have
      prompted me to discuss some of the contradictions and
      questions, in the hopes that it might
      bring about an opportunity to redress them.

      Can one be a follower of Jesus Christ (PBUH), the
      great Messenger of God,

      Feel obliged to respect human rights,
      Present liberalism as a civilization model,
      Announce one�s opposition to the proliferation of
      nuclear weapons and WMDs,
      Make �War and Terror� his slogan,
      And finally,
      Work towards the establishment of a unified
      international community � a community which
      Christ and the virtuous of the Earth will one day
      govern,
      But at the same time,
      Have countries attacked; The lives, reputations and
      possessions of people destroyed and on
      the slight chance of the � of a � criminals in a
      village city, or convoy for example the entire
      village, city or convey set ablaze.

      Or because of the possibility of the existence of WMDs
      in one country, it is occupied, around
      one hundred thousand people killed, its water sources,
      agriculture and industry destroyed,
      close to 180,000 foreign troops put on the ground,
      sanctity of private homes of citizens
      broken, and the country pushed back perhaps fifty
      years. At what price? Hundreds of billions
      of dollars spent from the treasury of one country and
      certain other countries and tens of
      thousands of young men and women � as occupation
      troops � put in harms way, taken away
      from family and love ones, their hands stained with
      the blood of others, subjected to so much
      psychological pressure that everyday some commit
      suicide ant those returning home suffer
      depression, become sickly and grapple with all sorts
      of aliments; while some are killed and
      their bodies handed of their families.

      On the pretext of the existence of WMDs, this great
      tragedy came to engulf both the peoples
      of the occupied and the occupying country. Later it
      was revealed that no WMDs existed to
      begin with.

      Of course Saddam was a murderous dictator. But the war
      was not waged to topple him, the
      announced goal of the war was to find and destroy
      weapons of mass destruction. He was
      toppled along the way towards another goal,
      nevertheless the people of the region are happy
      about it. I point out that throughout the many years
      of the � war on Iran Saddam was
      supported by the West.

      Mr President,

      You might know that I am a teacher. My students ask me
      how can theses actions be
      reconciled with the values outlined at the beginning
      of this letter and duty to the tradition of
      Jesus Christ (PBUH), the Messenger of peace and
      forgiveness.

      Page 2

      There are prisoners in Guantanamo Bay that have not
      been tried, have no legal representation,
      their families cannot see them and are obviously kept
      in a strange land outside their own
      country. There is no international monitoring of their
      conditions and fate. No one knows
      whether they are prisoners, POWs, accused or
      criminals.

      European investigators have confirmed the existence of
      secret prisons in Europe too. I could
      not correlate the abduction of a person, and him or
      her being kept in secret prisons, with the
      provisions of any judicial system. For that matter, I
      fail to understand how such actions
      correspond to the values outlined in the beginning of
      this letter, i.e. the teachings of Jesus
      Christ (PBUH), human rights and liberal values.

      Young people, university students and ordinary people
      have many questions about the
      phenomenon of Israel. I am sure you are familiar with
      some of them.

      Throughout history many countries have been occupied,
      but I think the establishment of a
      new country with a new people, is a new phenomenon
      that is exclusive to our times.

      Students are saying that sixty years ago such a
      country did no exist. The show old documents
      and globes and say try as we have, we have not been
      able to find a country named Israel.

      I tell them to study the history of WWI and II. One of
      my students told me that during WWII,
      which more than tens of millions of people perished
      in, news about the war, was quickly
      disseminated by the warring parties. Each touted their
      victories and the most recent battlefront
      defeat of the other party. After the war, they claimed
      that six million Jews had been killed. Six
      million people that were surely related to at least
      two million families.

      Again let us assume that these events are true. Does
      that logically translate into the
      establishment of the state of Israel in the Middle
      East or support for such a state? How can
      this phenomenon be rationalised or explained?

      Mr President,
      I am sure you know how � and at what cost � Israel
      was
      established:
      - Many thousands were killed in the process.
      - Millions of indigenous people were made refugees.
      - Hundred of thousands of hectares of farmland, olive
      plantations, towns and villages
      were destroyed.

      This tragedy is not exclusive to the time of
      establishment; unfortunately it has been ongoing
      for sixty years now.

      A regime has been established which does not show
      mercy even to kids, destroys houses
      while the occupants are still in them, announces
      beforehand its list and plans to assassinate
      Palestinian figures and keeps thousands of
      Palestinians in prison. Such a phenomenon is
      unique � or at the very least extremely rare � in
      recent memory.

      Another big question asked by people is why is this
      regime being supported?
      Is support for this regime in line with the teachings
      of Jesus Christ (PBUH) or Moses (PBUH)
      or liberal values?

      Or are we to understand that allowing the original
      inhabitants of these lands � inside and
      outside Palestine � whether they are Christian,
      Muslim
      or Jew, to determine their fate, runs

      Page 3

      contrary to principles of democracy, human rights and
      the teachings of prophets? If not, why
      is there so much opposition to a referendum?

      The newly elected Palestinian administration recently
      took office. All independent observes
      have confirmed that this government represents the
      electorate. Unbelievingly, they have put
      the elected government under pressure and have advised
      it to recognise the Israeli regime,
      abandon the struggle and follow the programs of the
      previous government.

      If the current Palestinian government had run on the
      above platform, would the Palestinian
      people have voted for it? Again, can such position
      taken in opposition to the Palestinian
      government be reconciled with the values outlined
      earlier? The people are also saying �why
      are all UNSC resolutions in condemnation of Israel
      vetoed?�

      Mr President,

      As you are well aware, I live amongst the people and
      am in constant contact with them --
      many people from around the Middle East manage to
      contact me as well. They dot not have
      faith in these dubious policies either. There is
      evidence that the people of the region are
      becoming increasingly angry with such policies.

      It is not my intention to pose to many questions, but
      I need to refer to other points as well.
      Why is it that any technological and scientific
      achievement reached in the Middle East
      regions is translated into and portrayed as a threat
      to the Zionist regime? Is not scientific
      R&D one of the basic rights of nations.

      You are familiar with history. Aside from the Middle
      Ages, in what other point in history has
      scientific and technical progress been a crime? Can
      the possibility of scientific achievements
      being utilised for military purposes be reason enough
      to oppose science and technology
      altogether? If such a supposition is true, then all
      scientific disciplines, including physics,
      chemistry, mathematics, medicine, engineering, etc.
      must be opposed.

      Lies were told in the Iraqi matter. What was the
      result? I have no doubt that telling lies is
      reprehensible in any culture, and you do not like to
      be lied to.

      Mr President,
      Don�t Latin Americans have the right to ask, why
      their
      elected governments are being
      opposed and coup leaders supported? Or, why must they
      constantly be threatened and live in
      fear?

      The people of Africa are hardworking, creative and
      talented. They can play an important and
      valuable role in providing for the needs of humanity
      and contribute to its material and
      spiritual progress. Poverty and hardship in large
      parts of Africa are preventing this from
      happening. Don�t they have the right to ask why
      their
      enormous wealth � including minerals �
      is being looted, despite the fact that they need it
      more than others?

      Again, do such actions correspond to the teachings of
      Christ and the tenets of human rights?

      Page 4

      The brave and faithful people of Iran too have many
      questions and grievances, including: the
      coup d�etat of 1953 and the subsequent toppling of
      the
      legal government of the day,
      opposition to the Islamic revolution, transformation
      of an Embassy into a headquarters
      supporting, the activities of those opposing the
      Islamic Republic (many thousands of pages of
      documents corroborates this claim), support for Saddam
      in the war waged against Iran, the
      shooting down of the Iranian passenger plane, freezing
      the assets of the Iranian nation,
      increasing threats, anger and displeasure vis-�-vis
      the scientific and nuclear progress of the
      Iranian nation (just when all Iranians are jubilant
      and collaborating their country�s progress),
      and many other grievances that I will not refer to in
      this letter.

      Mr President,

      September Eleven was a horrendous incident. The
      killing of innocents is deplorable and
      appalling in any part of the world. Our government
      immediately declared its disgust with the
      perpetrators and offered its condolences to the
      bereaved and expressed its sympathies.

      All governments have a duty to protect the lives,
      property and good standing of their citizens.
      Reportedly your government employs extensive security,
      protection and intelligence systems
      � and even hunts its opponents abroad. September
      eleven was not a simple operation. Could it
      be planned and executed without coordination with
      intelligence and security services � or
      their extensive infiltration? Of course this is just
      an educated guess. Why have the various
      aspects of the attacks been kept secret? Why are we
      not told who botched their
      responsibilities? And, why aren�t those responsible
      and the guilty parties identified and put
      on trial?

      All governments have a duty to provide security and
      peace of mind for their citizens. For
      some years now, the people of your country and
      neighbours of world trouble spots do not
      have peace of mind. After 9.11, instead of healing and
      tending to the emotional wounds of the
      survivors and the American people � who had been
      immensely traumatised by the attacks �
      some Western media only intensified the climates of
      fear and insecurity � some constantly
      talked about the possibility of new terror attacks and
      kept the people in fear. Is that service to
      the American people? Is it possible to calculate the
      damages incurred from fear and panic?

      American citizen lived in constant fear of fresh
      attacks that could come at any moment and in
      any place. They felt insecure in the streets, in their
      place of work and at home. Who would be
      happy with this situation? Why was the media, instead
      of conveying a feeling of security and
      providing peace of mind, giving rise to a feeling of
      insecurity?

      Some believe that the hype paved the way � and was
      the
      justification � for an attack on
      Afghanistan. Again I need to refer to the role of
      media.

      In media charters, correct dissemination of
      information and honest reporting of a story are
      established tenets. I express my deep regret about the
      disregard shown by certain Western
      media for these principles. The main pretext for an
      attack on Iraq was the existence of
      WMDs. This was repeated incessantly � for the public
      to, finally, believe � and the ground
      set for an attack on Iraq.

      Will the truth not be lost in a contrive and deceptive
      climate?

      Again, if the truth is allowed to be lost, how can
      that be reconciled with the earlier mentioned
      values?

      Is the truth known to the Almighty lost as well?

      Page 5

      Mr President,

      In countries around the world, citizens provide for
      the expenses of governments so that their
      governments in turn are able to serve them.

      The question here is �what has the hundreds of
      billions of dollars, spent every year to pay for
      the Iraqi campaign, produced for the citizens?�

      As your Excellency is aware, in some states of your
      country, people are living in poverty.
      Many thousands are homeless and unemployment is a huge
      problem. Of course these
      problems exist � to a larger or lesser extent � in
      other countries as well. With these conditions
      in mind, can the gargantuan expenses of the campaign
      �
      paid from the public treasury � be
      explained and be consistent with the aforementioned
      principles?

      What has been said, are some of the grievances of the
      people around the world, in our region
      and in your country. But my main contention � which
      am hoping you will agree to some of
      it � is:

      Those in power have specific time in office, and do
      not rule indefinitely, but their names will
      be recorded in history and will be constantly judged
      in the immediate and distant futures.
      The people will scrutinize our presidencies.

      Did we manage to bring peace, security and prosperity
      for the people or insecurity and
      unemployment?

      Did we intend to establish justice, or just supported
      especial interest groups, and by forcing
      many people to live in poverty and hardship, made a
      few people rich and powerful � thus
      trading the approval of the people and the Almighty
      with theirs�?

      Did we defend the rights of the underprivileged or
      ignore them?

      Did we defend the rights of all people around the
      world or imposed wars on them, interfered
      illegally in their affairs, established hellish
      prisons and incarcerated some of them?

      Did we bring the world peace and security or raised
      the specter of intimidation and threats?

      Did we tell the truth to our nation and others around
      the world or presented an inverted
      version of it?

      Were we on the side of people or the occupiers and
      oppressors?

      Did our administration set out to promote rational
      behaviour, logic, ethics, peace, fulfilling
      obligations, justice, service to the people,
      prosperity, progress and respect for human dignity
      or the force of guns.

      Intimidation, insecurity, disregard for the people,
      delaying the progress and excellence of
      other nations, and trample on people�s rights?

      And finally, they will judge us on whether we remained
      true to our oath of office � to serve
      the people, which is our main task, and the traditions
      of the prophets � or not?

      Mr President,

      How much longer can the world tolerate this situation?
      Where will this trend lead the world to?
      How long must the people of the world pay for the
      incorrect decisions of some rulers?
      How much longer will the specter of insecurity �
      raised from the stockpiles of weapons of
      mass destruction � hunt the people of the world?

      Page 6

      How much longer will the blood of the innocent men,
      women and children be spilled on the
      streets, and people�s houses destroyed over their
      heads?

      Are you pleased with the current condition of the
      world?

      Do you think present policies can continue?

      If billions of dollars spent on security, military
      campaigns and troop movement were instead
      spent on investment and assistance for poor countries,
      promotion of health, combating
      different diseases, education and improvement of
      mental and physical fitness, assistance to
      the victims of natural disasters, creation of
      employment opportunities and production,
      development projects and poverty alleviation,
      establishment of peace, mediation between
      disputing states and distinguishing the flames of
      racial, ethnic and other conflicts were would
      the world be today? Would not your government, and
      people be justifiably proud?
      Would not your administration�s political and
      economic
      standing have been stronger?
      And I am most sorry to say, would there have been an
      ever increasing global hatred of the
      American governments?

      Mr President, it is not my intention to distress
      anyone.

      If prophet Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Ishmael, Joseph or
      Jesus Christ (PBUH) were with us
      today, how would they have judged such behaviour? Will
      we be given a role to play in the
      promised world, where justice will become universal
      and Jesus Christ (PBUH) will be
      present? Will they even accept us?

      My basic question is this: Is there no better way to
      interact with the rest of the world? Today
      there are hundreds of millions of Christians, hundreds
      of millions of Moslems and millions of
      people who follow the teachings of Moses (PBUH). All
      divine religions share and respect on
      word and that is �monotheism� or belief in a
      single
      God and no other in the world.

      The holy Koran stresses this common word and calls on
      an followers of divine religions and
      says: [3.64] Say: O followers of the Book! Come to an
      equitable proposition between us and
      you that we shall not serve any but Allah and (that)
      we shall not associate aught. With Him
      and (that) some of us shall not take others for lords
      besides Allah, but if they turn back, then
      say: Bear witness that we are Muslims. (The Family of
      Imran).

      Mr President,

      According to divine verses, we have all been called
      upon to worship one God and follow the
      teachings of divine prophets.

      �To worship a God which is above all powers in the
      world and can do all He pleases.� �The
      Lord which knows that which is hidden and visible, the
      past and the future, knows what goes
      on in the Hearts of His servants and records their
      deeds.�

      �The Lord who is the possessor of the heavens and
      the
      earth and all universe is His court�
      �planning for the universe is done by His hands, and
      gives His servants the glad tidings of
      mercy and forgiveness of sins�. �He is the
      companion
      of the oppressed and the enemy of
      oppressors�. �He is the Compassionate, the
      Merciful�.
      �He is the recourse of the faithful and
      guides them towards the light from darkness�. �He
      is
      witness to the actions of His servants�,
      �He calls on servants to be faithful and do good
      deeds, and asks them to stay on the path of
      righteousness and remain steadfast�. �Calls on
      servants to heed His prophets and He is a
      witness to their deeds.� �A bad ending belongs
      only to
      those who have chosen the life of this

      Page 7

      world and disobey Him and oppress His servants�. And
      �A good and eternal paradise belong
      to those servants who fear His majesty and do not
      follow their lascivious selves.�

      We believe a return to the teachings of the divine
      prophets is the only road leading to
      salvations. I have been told that Your Excellency
      follows the teachings of Jesus (PBUH), and
      believes in the divine promise of the rule of the
      righteous on Earth.

      We also believe that Jesus Christ (PBUH) was one of
      the great prophets of the Almighty. He
      has been repeatedly praised in the Koran. Jesus (PBUH)
      has been quoted in Koran as well;
      [19,36] And surely Allah is my Lord and your Lord,
      therefore serves Him; this is the right
      path, Marium.

      Service to and obedience of the Almighty is the credo
      of all divine messengers.
      The God of all people in Europe, Asia, Africa,
      America, the Pacific and the rest of the world
      is one. He is the Almighty who wants to guide and give
      dignity to all His servants. He has
      given greatness to Humans.

      We again read in the Holy Book: �The Almighty God
      sent
      His prophets with miracles and
      clear signs to guide the people and show them divine
      signs and purity them from sins and
      pollutions. And He sent the Book and the balance so
      that the people display justice and avoid
      the rebellious.�

      All of the above verses can be seen, one way or the
      other, in the Good Book as well.
      Divine prophets have promised:

      The day will come when all humans will congregate
      before the court of the Almighty, so that
      their deeds are examined. The good will be directed
      towards Haven and evildoers will meet
      divine retribution. I trust both of us believe in such
      a day, but it will not be easy to calculate
      the actions of rulers, because we must be answerable
      to our nations and all others whose lives
      have been directly or indirectly effected by our
      actions.

      All prophets, speak of peace and tranquillity for man
      � based on monotheism, justice and
      respect for human dignity.

      Do you not think that if all of us come to believe in
      and abide by these principles, that is,
      monotheism, worship of God, justice, respect for the
      dignity of man, belief in the Last Day,
      we can overcome the present problems of the world �
      that are the result of disobedience to the
      Almighty and the teachings of prophets � and improve
      our performance?

      Do you not think that belief in these principles
      promotes and guarantees peace, friendship and
      justice?

      Do you not think that the aforementioned written or
      unwritten principles are universally
      respected?

      Will you not accept this invitation? That is, a
      genuine return to the teachings of prophets, to
      monotheism and justice, to preserve human dignity and
      obedience to the Almighty and His
      prophets?

      Mr President,

      Page 8

      History tells us that repressive and cruel governments
      do not survive. God has entrusted
      The fate of man to them. The Almighty has not left the
      universe and humanity to their own
      devices. Many things have happened contrary to the
      wishes and plans of governments. These
      tell us that there is a higher power at work and all
      events are determined by Him.

      Can one deny the signs of change in the world today?

      Is this situation of the world today comparable to
      that of ten years ago? Changes happen fast
      and come at a furious pace.

      The people of the world are not happy with the status
      quo and pay little heed to the promises
      and comments made by a number of influential world
      leaders. Many people around the wolrd
      feel insecure and oppose the spreading of insecurity
      and war and do not approve of and accept
      dubious policies.

      The people are protesting the increasing gap between
      the haves and the have-nots and the rich
      and poor countries.

      The people are disgusted with increasing corruption.

      The people of many countries are angry about the
      attacks on their cultural foundations and the
      disintegration of families. They are equally dismayed
      with the fading of care and compassion.
      The people of the world have no faith in international
      organisations, because their rights are
      not advocated by these organisations.

      Liberalism and Western style democracy have not been
      able to help realize the ideals of
      humanity. Today these two concepts have failed. Those
      with insight can already hear the
      sounds of the shattering and fall of the ideology and
      thoughts of the liberal democratic
      systems.

      We increasingly see that people around the world are
      flocking towards a main focal point �
      that is the Almighty God. Undoubtedly through faith in
      God and the teachings of the
      prophets, the people will conquer their problems. My
      question for you is: �Do you not want to
      join them?�

      Mr President,

      Whether we like it or not, the world is gravitating
      towards faith in the Almighty and justice
      and the will of God will prevail over all things.

      Vasalam Ala Man Ataba�al hoda

      Mahmood Ahmadi-Najad

      President of the Islamic Republic of Iran