House Intel Panel Chief Opposes Hayden

    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2006
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060507/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/cia_future;_ylt=AtGEBURZ1Al1_w9GTpKb4Tus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

      House Intel Panel Chief Opposes Hayden

      By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 51
      minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - A leading Republican came out against the
      front-runner for CIA director, Gen. Michael Hayden,
      saying Sunday the spy agency should not have military
      leadership during a turbulent time among intelligence
      agencies.

      Members of the Senate committee that would consider
      President Bush's nominee also expressed reservations,
      saying the CIA is a civilian agency and putting Hayden
      atop it would concentrate too much power in the
      military for intelligence matters.

      Bush was expected to nominate a new director as early
      as Monday to replace Porter Goss, who abruptly
      resigned on Friday.

      But opposition to Hayden because of his military
      background is mounting on Capitol Hill, where he would
      face tough hearings in the Senate Intelligence
      Committee.

      Despite a distinguished career at the Defense
      Department, Hayden would be "the wrong person, the
      wrong place at the wrong time," said the chairman of
      the House Intelligence Committee, Rep. Peter Hoekstra
      (news, bio, voting record), R-Mich.

      "There is ongoing tensions between this premier
      civilian intelligence agency and DOD as we speak,"
      Hoekstra said. "And I think putting a general in
      charge — regardless of how good Mike is — ... is going
      to send the wrong signal through the agency here in
      Washington but also to our agents in the field around
      the world," he told "Fox News Sunday."

      If Hayden were to get the nomination, military
      officers would run the major spy agencies in the
      United States, from the ultra-secret National Security
      Agency to the Defense Intelligence Agency.

      The Pentagon already controls more than 80 percent of
      the intelligence budget.

      "You can't have the military control most of the major
      aspects of intelligence," said Democratic Sen. Dianne
      Feinstein (news, bio, voting record) of California,
      who is on the Senate Intelligence Committee. The CIA
      "is a civilian agency and is meant to be a civilian
      agency," she said on ABC's "This Week."

      A second committee member, GOP Sen. Saxby Chambliss
      (news, bio, voting record) of Georgia, added, "I think
      the fact that he is a part of the military today would
      be the major problem."

      Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., mentioned fears the CIA would
      "just be gobbled up by the Defense Department" if
      Hayden were to take over.

      The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he
      would view a Hayden nomination as a way to get
      information from the Bush administration about its
      secretive domestic surveillance program, undertaken by
      the NSA when Hayden led that agency.

      The warrantless monitoring covered electronic
      communications between people in the United States and
      other parties overseas with suspected terrorist links.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2006
        > House Intel Panel Chief Opposes Hayden

        Seems like everyone is trying to save his/her Congressional seat in
        these days.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2006
          I remember catching him in a lie over the NSA spying
          scandal but can't remember the specific instance..
          there have been so many lies and scandals, for that
          matter, that I can't keep them all straight anymore...

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM