The Illinois State Legislature is Preparing to Drop a Bombshell

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2006
      I doubt this will work, but it's an interesting idea.

      http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_steven_l_060422_bush_impeachment___t.htm
      April 22, 2006

      Bush Impeachment - The Illinois State Legislature is
      Preparing to Drop a Bombshell

      Utilizing a little known rule of the US House to bring
      Impeachment charges

      by Steven Leser

      The Illinois General Assembly is about to rock the
      nation. Members of state legislatures are normally not
      considered as having the ability to decide issues with
      a massive impact to the nation as a whole.
      Representative Karen A. Yarbrough of Illinois' 7th
      District is about to shatter that perception forever.
      Representative Yarbrough stumbled on a little known
      and never utlitized rule of the US House of
      Representatives, Section 603 of Jefferson's Manual of
      the Rules of the United States House of
      Representatives, which allows federal impeachment
      proceedings to be initiated by joint resolution of a
      state legislature. From there, Illinois House Joint
      Resolution 125 (hereafter to be referred to as
      HJR0125) was born.

      Detailing five specific charges against President Bush
      including one that is specified to be a felony, the
      complete text of HJR0125 is copied below at the end of
      this article. One of the interesting points is that
      one of the items, the one specified as a felony, that
      the NSA was directed by the President to spy on
      American citizens without warrant, is not in dispute.
      That fact should prove an interesting dilemma for a
      Republican controlled US House that clearly is not
      only loathe to initiate impeachment proceedings, but
      does not even want to thoroughly investigate any of
      the five items brought up by the Illinois Assembly as
      high crimes and/or misdemeanors. Should HJR0125 be
      passed by the Illinois General Assembly, the US House
      will be forced by House Rules to take up the issue of
      impeachment as a privileged bill, meaning it will take
      precedence over other House business.

      The Illinois General Assembly joins a growing chorus
      of voices calling for censure or impeachment of
      President Bush including Democratic state committees
      in Vermont, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Nevada and North
      Carolina as well as the residents themselves of seven
      towns in Vermont, seventy Vermont state legislators
      and Congressman John Conyers. The call for impeachment
      is starting to grow well beyond what could be
      considered a fringe movement. An ABC News/Washington
      Post Poll Conducted April 6-9 showed that 33% of
      Americans currently support Impeaching President Bush,
      coincidentally, only a similar amount supported
      impeaching Nixon at the start of the Watergate
      investigation. If and when Illinois HJR0125 hits the
      capitol and the individual charges are publicly
      investigated, that number is likely to grow rapidly.
      Combined with the very real likelihood that Rove is
      about to be indicted in the LeakGate investigation,
      and Bush is in real trouble beyond his plummeting poll
      numbers. His cronies in the Republican dominated
      congress will probably save him from the embarassment
      of an impeachment conviction, for now, but his
      Presidency will be all but finished.

      Developing News; California Becomes Second State to
      Introduce Bush Impeachment

      Developing: Vermont lawmakers to call for Bush
      impeachment

      HJ0125 LRB094 20306 RLC 58347 r

      1 HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION

      2 WHEREAS, Section 603 of Jefferson's Manual of the
      Rules of
      3 the United States House of Representatives allows
      federal
      4 impeachment proceedings to be initiated by joint
      resolution of
      5 a state legislature; and

      6 WHEREAS, President Bush has publicly admitted to
      ordering
      7 the National Security Agency to violate provisions
      of the 1978
      8 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, a felony,
      specifically
      9 authorizing the Agency to spy on American citizens
      without
      10 warrant; and

      11 WHEREAS, Evidence suggests that President Bush
      authorized
      12 violation of the Torture Convention of the Geneva
      Conventions,
      13 a treaty regarded a supreme law by the United
      States
      14 Constitution; and

      15 WHEREAS, The Bush Administration has held American
      16 citizens and citizens of other nations as prisoners
      of war
      17 without charge or trial; and

      18 WHEREAS, Evidence suggests that the Bush
      Administration
      19 has manipulated intelligence for the purpose of
      initiating a
      20 war against the sovereign nation of Iraq, resulting
      in the
      21 deaths of large numbers of Iraqi civilians and
      causing the
      22 United States to incur loss of life, diminished
      security and
      23 billions of dollars in unnecessary expenses; and

      24 WHEREAS, The Bush Administration leaked classified
      25 national secrets to further a political agenda,
      exposing an
      26 unknown number of covert U. S. intelligence agents
      to potential
      27 harm and retribution while simultaneously refusing
      28 investigate the matter; and

      29 WHEREAS, The Republican-controlled Congress has
      declined

      HJ0125 - 2 - LRB094 20306 RLC 58347 r

      1 to fully investigate these charges to date;
      therefore, be it

      2 RESOLVED, BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE
      3 NINETY-FOURTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF
      ILLINOIS, THE
      4 SENATE CONCURRING HEREIN, that the General Assembly
      of the
      5 State of Illinois has good cause to submit charges
      to the U. S.
      6 House of Representatives under Section 603 that the
      President
      7 of the United States has willfully violated his Oath
      of Office
      8 to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of
      the United
      9 States; and be it further

      10 RESOLVED, That George W. Bush, if found guilty of
      the
      11 charges contained herein, should be removed from
      office and
      12 disqualified to hold any other office in the United States.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
        Cool.....

> [...]
        > therefore, be it
        >
        > 2 RESOLVED, BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE
        > 3 NINETY-FOURTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF
        > ILLINOIS, THE
        > 4 SENATE CONCURRING HEREIN, that the General
        > Assembly
        > of the
        > 5 State of Illinois has good cause to submit charges
        > to the U. S.
        > 6 House of Representatives under Section 603 that
        > the
        > President
        > 7 of the United States has willfully violated his
        > Oath
        > of Office
        > 8 to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution
        > of
        > the United
        > 9 States; and be it further
        >
        > 10 RESOLVED, That George W. Bush, if found guilty of

        === message truncated ===
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
          > I doubt this will work, but it's an interesting idea.

          But do we really want a President Cheney? I just don't see the point of
          impeaching Bush unless you can also get rid of Cheney at the same time.