White House spokesman resigns, Rove to lose policy portfolio

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2006
      http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/19/bushshakeup.ap/index.html

      White House spokesman resigning
      Rove to lose policy portfolio

      Wednesday, April 19, 2006; Posted: 10:14 a.m. EDT
      (14:14 GMT)

      WASHINGTON (AP) -- Continuing a shakeup in President
      Bush's administration, White House press secretary
      Scott McClellan said Wednesday he is resigning, while
      longtime Bush confidant Karl Rove will lose his policy
      portfolio.

      Appearing with Bush on the White House South Lawn just
      before the president boarded a helicopter at the start
      a trip to Alabama, McClellan, who has parried
      especially forcefully with reporters on Iraq and on
      intelligence issues, told Bush: "I have given it my
      all sir and I have given you my all sir, and I will
      continue to do so as we transition to a new press
      secretary."

      Bush said McClellan had "a challenging assignment."

      "I thought he handled his assignment with class,
      integrity," the president said. "It's going to be hard
      to replace Scott, but nevertheless he made the
      decision and I accepted it. One of these days, he and
      I are going to be rocking in chairs in Texas and
      talking about the good old days."

      McClellan was named press secretary in June 2003, not
      long after the United States invaded Iraq and had
      first been a deputy to Ari Fleischer in the job -- a
      White House position with daily visibility rivaling
      virtually everyone there except the president.

      In another move in an ongoing shakeup of the White
      House staff, longtime confidant and adviser Karl Rove
      is giving up oversight of policy development to focus
      more on politics with the approach of the fall midterm
      elections, a senior administration official said
      Wednesday.

      Just over a year ago, Rove was promoted to deputy
      chief of staff in charge of most White House policy
      coordination. That new portfolio came on top of his
      title as senior adviser and role of chief policy aide
      to Bush.

      But now, the job of deputy chief of staff for policy
      is being given to Joel Kaplan, now the White House's
      deputy budget director, said the official, who spoke
      on condition of anonymity because the president had
      not yet made the announcement.

      The move signals a possibly broad effort to rearrange
      and reinvigorate Bush's staff by new chief of staff
      Joshua Bolten. Bolten moved into his position last
      week; Kaplan was his No. 2 person at the Office of
      Management and Budget.

      At least for the time being, the promotion of Kaplan
      would leave Bush with three deputy chiefs of staff:
      Rove, Kaplan and Joe Hagin, who oversees
      administrative matters, intelligence and other
      national security issues.