Sources: DeLay to leave House re-election race

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/03/delay.election/index.html

      Sources: DeLay to leave House re-election race
      Former majority leader to announce move Tuesday

      From Dana Bash
      CNN

      Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 10:39 p.m. EDT (02:39
      GMT)

      WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Tom DeLay will drop out of
      his re-election race, two Republican congressional
      sources told CNN Monday.

      DeLay was forced to step down as House majority leader
      last year after being indicted in his home state of
      Texas.

      DeLay told Time magazine Monday that he and his wife,
      Christine, had been prepared for an election battle,
      but that he decided Wednesday to spare his suburban
      Houston district the mudfest to come.

      "This had become a referendum on me," he told the
      magazine. "So it's better for me to step aside and let
      it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and
      what's important for this district."

      DeLay was calling supporters and colleagues Monday
      night to tell them of his decision, the sources told
      CNN. He was expected to announce his departure at a
      news conference Tuesday morning.

      Last month, DeLay easily won a contested Republican
      primary for his seat.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
        I'm looking forward to the imminent DeLay jokes.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          It's a great day !!! He was the absolute worst person
          in politics since McCarthy. Can anybody think of
          anyone who was worse?

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
            > It's a great day !!! He was the absolute worst person
            > in politics since McCarthy. Can anybody think of
            > anyone who was worse?
            >
            > Tom

            Rove and Atwater first come to mind.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
              Point taken.. I only recently discovered that Rove was
              part of CREEP of Watergate fame.

              > > It's a great day !!! He was the absolute worst
              > person
              > > in politics since McCarthy. Can anybody think of
              > > anyone who was worse?
              > >
              > > Tom
              >
              > Rove and Atwater first come to mind.
              >
              > Ram
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Randal M. Brown
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                Well as far as I am concerned Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton are far more worse.

                Randal

                THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...> wrote:
                Point taken.. I only recently discovered that Rove was
                part of CREEP of Watergate fame.

                > > It's a great day !!! He was the absolute worst
                > person
                > > in politics since McCarthy. Can anybody think of
                > > anyone who was  worse?
                > >
                > > Tom
                >
                > Rove and Atwater first come to mind.
                >
                > Ram
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                  > Well as far as I am concerned Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton are
                  far more worse.

                  How "far more worse" are they? I'm all ears.