Congresswoman McKinney Allegedly Punches Cop

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=77991

      McKinney Allegedly Punches Cop

      Web Editor: Michael King
      Last Modified: 3/29/2006 8:36:27 PM

      According to sources on Capitol Hill, U.S.
      Representative Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) punched a
      Capitol police officer on Wednesday afternoon after he
      mistakenly pursued her for failing to pass through a
      metal detector.

      Members of Congress are not required to pass through
      metal detectors.

      Sources say that the officer was at a position in the
      Longworth House Office Building, and neither
      recognized McKinney, nor saw her credentials as she
      went around the metal detector.

      The officer called out, “Ma’am, Ma’am,” and walked
      after her in an attempt to stop her. When he caught
      McKinney, he grabbed her by the arm.

      Witnesses say McKinney pulled her arm away, and with
      her cell phone in hand, punched the officer in the
      chest.

      McKinney’s office has not responded to requests for
      comment.

      According to the Drudge Report, the entire incident is
      on tape.

      Drudge continues, "The cop is pressing charges, and
      the USCP (United States Capitol Police) are waiting
      until Congress adjurns to arrest her, a source
      claims."

      No charges have been filed. Capitol Police spokeswoman
      Sgt. Kimberly Schneider says that senior officials
      have been made aware of the incident and are
      investigating.

      A statement attributed to McKinney has been released
      on the Internet, where she allegedly claims to have
      been harassed by Capitol Hill Police.

      The statement's writer says that she has been harassed
      by white police officers she says do not recognize her
      due to her recently changed hairstyle.

      "Do I have to contact the police every time I change
      my hairstyle? How do we account for the fact that when
      I wore my braids every day for 11 years, I still faced
      this problem, primarily from certain white police
      officers," the statement says.

      The writer details the incident, saying, "I was
      rushing to my meeting when a white police officer
      yelled to me. He approached me, bodyblocked me,
      physically touching me. I used my arm to get him off
      of me. I told him not to touch me several times. He
      asked for my ID and I showed it to him. He then let me
      go and I proceeded to my meeting and I assume that the
      Police Officer resumed his duties. I have counseled
      with the Sergeant-at-Arms and Acting Assistant Chief
      Thompson several times before and counseled with them
      again on today's incident. I offered also to counsel
      with the offending police officer."