New member

  • Richard Kelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2006
      Dear Group members:

      Well, I just joined this group and recognise some friends (?)
      from "my American Presidents." I guess Yahoo Groups is a small
      world. (Of course when you sign up for a group you have no idea
      in advance who's on it) Anyway, nice to be here, I look forward
      to learning a lot about Presidents, Vice Presidents and the rest.

      Richard Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2006
        Richard, I'm glad that you want to learn more about
        Presidents et al, and there are some great historians
        in this group, but I sincerely doubt that you will be
        comfortable here in that most members of this bunch
        are very critical of the current administration and
        Congress and are much more vocal than the American
        Presidents group. I haven't seen anything that even
        came close to incivility but I am sure that it would
        not be tolerated.

        Respectfully,
        Tom

        --- Richard Kelly <richwkelly@...> wrote:

        > Dear Group members:
        >
        > Well, I just joined this group and recognise some
        > friends (?)
        > from "my American Presidents." I guess Yahoo Groups
        > is a small
        > world. (Of course when you sign up for a group you
        > have no idea
        > in advance who's on it) Anyway, nice to be here, I
        > look forward
        > to learning a lot about Presidents, Vice Presidents
        > and the rest.
        >
        > Richard Kelly
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • richard kelly
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12, 2006
          Tom:

          Thanks for your e-mail.

          Is there another discussion group you'd recommend
          instead of this one? It would be nice to find one
          with some conservatives and some liberals, where
          more than one side of an issue would be presented.

          Anyway, I'd like to give this group a try and am
          not here to cause any trouble, honestly.

          Richard Kelly

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2006
            Ok, Richard.. that was not in any way a threat.. just
            trying to keep everybody's frustration level to a
            minimum.

          • richard kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
              Tom:

              Maybe its better if I just leave the group,
              if people are having "frustration levels"
              etc.

              R.K.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jesse Gordon
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
                Richard et al --

                I mostly just lurk on this group, but when I see something like this
                I feel a need to chime in.

                This group is the official discussion group associated with the
                following:

                http://OnTheIssues.org - issue-based website
                http://www.Speakout.com - its associated open discussion forum

                The speakout forum is open to anyone posting, adn so is this group
                (subject to Yahoo's rules). If yuo feel restricted here, you can
                always post there -- but I don't see much in the way of restrictions
                here. In any case, the main moderator there is assuredly NOT a
                liberal! -- he proudly calls himself right-wing. I too, would never
                call myself a liberal -- I call myself a progressive, and we
                consider ourselves very opposed to liberals (second only to being
                opposed to Republicans). But the core progressive principle is to
                allow open discussion -- hence why I chime in on posts like yours.

                -- Jesse Gordon, editor, OnTheIssues.org and TheSpeakoutForum.com

                From: richard kelly <richwkelly@...>
                Date: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:06 am
                Subject: Re: [prezveepsenator] New member richwkelly

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
                  > Maybe its better if I just leave the group,
                  > if people are having "frustration levels"
                  > etc.

                  That's what usually happens when the angry "conservative" callers
                  phone in on Air America. They rant and mumble a bit and hang up.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 13, 2006
                    Richard.. there is nothing wrong with a conservative
                    point of view; in fact I'm a fiscal conservative
                    myself, but that is quite different from calling
                    someone a 'member of the Osama Bin Laden fan club'
                    when they disagree with you or the current president
                    as you did when you were in the American Presidents
                    group. Civil discourse of all kinds are encouraged
                    here, at least in my opinion, but insults are not.
                    Many of us would like to take back some of the
                    comments we have made in the past, and I am one of
                    them. If you keep your posts well-reasoned and civil,
                    you will be just fine.

                    Tom