Report: Nevada test of new warhead

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1136541.php/Report_Nevada_test_of_new_warhead

      Report: Nevada test of new warhead
      Mar 12, 2006, 18:54 GMT

      LONDON, England (UPI) -- A test in the U.S. southwest
      codenamed Operation Krakatoa was part of an effort to
      develop a new British nuclear weapon, the Sunday Times
      reports.

      Both Britain and the United States are in pursuit of a
      Reliable Replacement Warhead, an effort that might
      violate the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, the
      London newspaper said, citing sources on both sides of
      the Atlantic.

      'The argument made for Reliable Replacement Warhead is
      that you can have your cake and eat it,' a U.S.
      official said. 'We have our new warheads and we don`t
      have to test them.'

      Britain has been acquiring supercomputers, laser
      systems and scientists for its Atomic Weapons
      Establishment near Aldermaston.

      'We have been investing in the best young scientists
      coming out of the nuclear physics departments at
      British universities,' a British official said.
      'Watching the AWE scientists standing next to their
      U.S. counterparts it was noticeable how young they
      were.'

      The test in Nevada was Britain`s second sub-critical
      one in 10 years. The Times said that its open purpose
      was to make sure that the warheads now deployed on
      Trident submarines will function, the test was also
      part of the effort for the Reliable Replacement.