Another Reason We Love Russ In Wisconsin

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12 11:05 AM
      Feingold to introduce resolution censuring the President

      Says Congress must condemn the President's violation of the public's
      trust through illegal wiretapping program

      March 12, 2006

      WASHINGTON, D.C. – US Senator Russ Feingold has announced that he
      will introduce a resolution in the Senate on Monday to censure the
      President of the United States. Feingold's resolution condemns the
      President's actions in authorizing the illegal wiretapping program
      and then misleading the country about the existence and legality of
      the program. Feingold calls the resolution an appropriate and
      responsible step for Congress to take in response to the President's
      undermining of the separation of powers and ignoring the rule of law.

      "The President must be held accountable for authorizing a program
      that clearly violates the law and then misleading the country about
      its existence and its legality," Feingold says. "The President's
      actions, as well as his misleading statements to both Congress and
      the public about the program, demand a serious response. If Congress
      does not censure the President, we will be tacitly condoning his
      actions, and undermining both the separation of powers and the rule
      of law."

      The President's illegal wiretapping program is in direct violation of
      the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). The FISA law makes
      it a crime to wiretap Americans in the United States without a
      warrant or a court order. The Bush Administration has obtained
      thousands of FISA warrants since September 11th and has almost never
      been rejected by the FISA court. FISA even allows wiretaps to be
      executed immediately in an emergency as long as the government
      obtains a warrant within 72 hours.

      "This issue is not about whether the government should be wiretapping
      terrorists – of course it should, and it can under current law"
      Feingold says. "But this President and this administration decided to
      break the law and they have yet to give a convincing explanation of
      why their actions were necessary, appropriate, or legal. Passing more
      laws will not change the fact that the President broke the ones
      already in place and for that, Congress must hold him accountable."

      ----------

      Fact sheet from US Senator Russ Feingold on his resolution to censure
      the President:

      Senator Feingold's resolution of censure condemns the President for
      breaking the law by authorizing an illegal wiretapping program, and
      for misleading Congress and the American people about the existence
      and legality of that program.

      The President Broke the Law by Wiretapping Outside of FISA

      It Is Illegal to Wiretap Without the Requisite Warrant or Court
      Order: The law is clear that the criminal wiretap statute and Foreign
      Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) "shall be the exclusive means by
      which electronic surveillance . . . and the interception of domestic
      wire, oral, and electronic communications may be conducted."

      FISA Has an Emergency Exception: The Administration has indicated
      that it ignored FISA because the application process takes too long.
      In fact, in an emergency where the Attorney General believes that
      surveillance must begin before a court order can be obtained, FISA
      permits him to immediately authorize the surveillance as long as the
      government goes to the court within 72 hours. Prior to 2001, the
      emergency wiretap period was only 24 hours. The Administration
      requested and received the increase to 72 hours in intelligence
      authorization legislation that passed in late 2001.

      FISA Provides for Wartime Situations: FISA also permits the Attorney
      General to authorize warrantless electronic surveillance in the
      United States during the 15 days following a declaration of war, to
      allow time to consider any amendments to FISA necessitated by a
      wartime emergency.

      The Administration Has Used FISA Thousands of Times Since 9/11:
      Administration officials have criticized FISA, but they have obtained
      thousands of warrants approved by the FISA court since 9/11, and have
      almost never had a warrant request rejected by that court.

      The President Made Misleading Arguments Defending his Wiretapping
      Program

      Military Force Resolution Did Not Authorize Wiretapping: The
      President has argued that Congress gave him authority to wiretap
      Americans on U.S. soil without a warrant when it passed the
      Authorization for Use of Military Force after September 11, 2001.
      There is no language in the resolution and no evidence to suggest
      that it was intended to give the President authority to order these
      warrantless wiretaps. Warrantless domestic surveillance is not
      an "incident of war" akin to detaining an enemy soldier on the
      battlefield as the Administration has argued.

      In fact, Congress passed the Patriot Act just six weeks after
      September 11 to expand the government's powers to conduct
      surveillance of suspected terrorists and spies. Yet the
      Administration did not ask for, nor did the Patriot Act include, any
      change to FISA's requirement of judicial approval for wiretaps of
      Americans in the United States.

      Prohibition on Wiretapping Limits Executive Power: The President's
      assertion of inherent executive power is also wrong. The President
      has extensive authority when it comes to national security and
      foreign affairs, but given the clear prohibition in FISA, that
      authority does not include the power to wiretap American citizens on
      American soil without a warrant.

      Executive Branch Review of Wiretapping Is Not Enough: The President
      has argued that periodic executive branch review provides an adequate
      check on the program. But Congress when it passed FISA explicitly
      rejected the idea that the executive branch should be fully entrusted
      to conduct national security wiretaps on its own – a power that the
      executive had abused in the past. In addition, the Administration has
      said that NSA employees decide whose communications to tap. Executive
      branch employees are no substitute for FISA Court judges.

      Congress Did Not Approve This Program: The extremely limited
      briefings of the President's warrantless surveillance programs to a
      handful of Congressional leaders did not constitute Congressional
      oversight, much less approval. In fact, the failure of the President
      to keep the Congressional Intelligence Committees "fully and
      currently informed of all intelligence activities" was a violation of
      the National Security Act.

      The President Made Misleading Public Statements about Administration
      Wiretapping

      "Finally, we need to renew the critical provisions of the Patriot Act
      that protect our civil liberties. The Patriot Act was written with
      clear safeguards to ensure the law is applied fairly. The judicial
      branch has a strong oversight role. Law enforcement officers need a
      federal judge's permission to wiretap a foreign terrorist's phone, a
      federal judge's permission to track his calls, or a federal judge's
      permission to search his property. Officers must meet strict
      standards to use any of these tools. And these standards are fully
      consistent with the Constitution of the U.S." - President George
      Bush, June 9, 2005, in Columbus, Ohio

      "A couple of things that are very important for you to understand
      about the Patriot Act. First of all, any action that takes place by
      law enforcement requires a court order. In other words, the
      government can't move on wiretaps or roving wiretaps without getting
      a court order. Now, we've used things like roving wiretaps on drug
      dealers before. Roving wiretaps mean you change your cell phone. And
      yet, we weren't able to use roving wiretaps on terrorists. And so
      what the Patriot Act said is let's give our law enforcement the tools
      necessary, without abridging the Constitution of the United States,
      the tools necessary to defend America." - President George Bush, July
      14, 2004, in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

      "Secondly, there are such things as roving wiretaps. Now, by the way,
      any time you hear the United States government talking about wiretap,
      it requires - a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed,
      by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're
      talking about getting a court order before we do so. It's important
      for our fellow citizens to understand, when you think Patriot Act,
      constitutional guarantees are in place when it comes to doing what is
      necessary to protect our homeland, because we value the
      Constitution." - President George Bush, April 20, 2004, in Buffalo,
      New York
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12 4:21 PM
        Feingold is pretty much the only Senator that I take
        seriously right now.. He has the inside track to my 08
        primary vote if he chooses to run.

        Tom

        === message truncated ===
      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12 6:02 PM
          Thomas,

          You and I agree about Russ and 2008. I think he has every intention
          to run and will have a professional and polished style for a stab at
          the nomination from the left.

          BTW, did you or any one else on this list see/read the rhetoric that
          came out of Memphis as the GOP candidates tried to be more heinous
          than the person on stage before them? MA Gov Romney might have been
          confused as to if he was running for President of the United States
          or Iran....his social statements were dreadful..but what can we
          expect from that side of the aisle.

          Gregory

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12 11:06 PM
            Gregory, I got this far ( from today's Washington
            Post):

            When Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell (Ky.) called
            Bush "one of the great presidents in the history of
            the United States," the audience rose to applaud and
            cheer.

            Tom