Bush Shocked by Arrest of Former Adviser

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 7:07 AM
      http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EX_BUSH_AIDE?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-03-11-09-15-44

      Mar 11, 9:15 AM EST

      Bush Shocked by Arrest of Former Adviser

      By DEB RIECHMANN
      Associated Press Writer

      WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush on Saturday said he
      was shocked to learn that his former domestic policy
      adviser was charged with theft for allegedly receiving
      phony refunds at department stores.

      "I was shocked and my first reaction was one of
      disappointment, deep disappointment - if it's true -
      that we were not fully informed," Bush said.

      Claude Alexander Allen, 45, was arrested Thursday by
      police in Montgomery County, Md., for allegedly
      claiming refunds for more than $5,000 worth of
      merchandise he did not buy, according to county and
      federal authorities.

      "If the allegations are true, Claude Allen did not
      tell my chief of staff or legal counsel the truth, and
      that's deeply disappointing" the president. "If the
      allegations are true, something went wrong in Claude
      Allen's life, and that is really sad."

      Allen, named as domestic policy adviser in early 2005,
      resigned abruptly on Feb. 9, saying he wanted to spend
      more time with his family.

      Under investigation since at least January for alleged
      thefts on 25 occasions at Target and Hecht's stores,
      Allen had told White House chief of staff Andrew Card
      and White House counsel Harriet Miers there was some
      confusion with his credit card because he had moved
      several times. "He assured them that he had done
      nothing wrong and the matter would be cleared up,"
      press secretary Scott McClellan said late Friday.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 10:51 AM
        How many scandals broke this week? I've lost track.
        Then there's Interior Sec. Gale Norton who suddenly
        resigned. Its been reported that she was axed because
        of of close ties and dealings with Jack Abramhoff.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11 11:07 PM
          > How many scandals broke this week? I've lost track.
          > Then there's Interior Sec. Gale Norton who suddenly
          > resigned. Its been reported that she was axed because
          > of of close ties and dealings with Jack Abramhoff.

          It feels more and more like 1973.