Rumsfeld blames history teachers for war's unpopularity

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
      Rumsfeld's claim that there hasn't ever been a
      "popular war" seems silly to me. The Spanish-American
      War was fairly popular, certainly more popular than
      other wars we've fought. The invasion of Afghanistan
      was also fairly popular, and a lot more recent.

      http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/22729.html

      Rumsfeld blames Bush low ratings on the failures of
      our history teachers

      Source: Huffington Post (blog) (3-9-06)

      According to a blog post by Arianna Huffington,
      Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld believes that the
      ignorance of history is of grave concern:

      "I think the biggest problem we've got in the country
      is people don't study history anymore. People who go
      to school in high schools and colleges, they tend to
      study current events and call it history... There are
      just too darn few people in our country who study
      history enough."

      "There's never been a popular war. You can't name a
      popular war. There isn't such a thing."

      "George Washington was almost fired."

      "The Civil War was the ugliest thing -- carnage.
      10,000, 15,000 people killed in a battle."

      "Same thing in World War II... Franklin Roosevelt was
      one of the most hated people in the country and he was
      President of the United States. He was
      Commander-in-Chief. He did a terrific job."

      Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2006
        It was reported that she used the word "dictatorship"
        twice in her speech. From NPR.org:

        Newly retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day
        O'Connor took on conservative Republican critics of
        the courts in a speech Thursday. She told an audience
        at Georgetown University that Republican proposals,
        and their sometimes uncivil tone, pose a danger to the
        independence of the judiciary, and the freedoms of all
        Americans.