Re: A thought about RN from Sen. Dayton

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
      > which is, often, just extremely, off-the-wall reactionary, that it
      > boggles my mind, and yet that is what's occurred. Newt Gingrich,
      > after he became Speaker of the House in 1995, said that if Richard
      > Nixon were still in the House of Representatives, he'd be the most
      > liberal member of the House Republican Caucus. That's a depressing
      > thought."

      This is very true. Abe Lincoln, Thaddeus Stevens, Bejamin Wade, and
      other founders of the original Republican Party, almost all Northern
      liberals, and even the post-Gilded Age progressive Republicans like
      Teddy Roosevelt, Bob La Follette, and Cabot Lodge Sr., would have
      never expected their party to be controlled by the ex-Confederate Dixies.

      But perhaps it seemed more omnious (and obvious) to the Civil Rights
      era liberal Republicans (already a dwindling faction) like Earl
      Warren, John Chafee, and Nelson Rockefeller, who was booed off stage
      by a lily white audience in the Republican Nation Convention of 1964
      for his anti-segregation stance. The late Minnesota Republican
      ex-Governor, Harold Stassen, took Brian Lamb on Book TV in 1990:

      "I think probably my most unhappy moment was when they nominated Barry
      Goldwater, but I still respected him -- but I disagreed so strongly
      with his, you see, I've never been a right-wing conservative, never
      have, through the years, and I do not believe in the liberal bashing
      that's done. I call myself a creative central person, or as Eisenhower
      use to say, middle way or moderate, so when the party took such an
      extreme turn to the right at that time, while I stayed with the party,
      I believed also in staying in the party and working for your views,
      that turn for Goldwater to me was a, a tragic shift of our party."