Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Arab Americans see bigotry behind ports uproar

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
      I totally agree, Gregory.. I have been very
      disappointed in the Dems since 2002 where their
      attitude was well described by former
      Tx governor Ann Richards as 'me too but not so much.'
      I'm leaning strongly toward not voting in a TX primary
      so I can sign a petition to get author/musician Kinky
      Friedman on the ballot for governor.. the Hackett
      swiftboating was the tipping point.
      What's your thinking out there in El Paso, Greg?

      Tom

      === message truncated ===
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
        Tom, I've also been dissapointed in the Dems for quite
        a while. In 2000 at this time I was out gathering
        signatures to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Texas.
        I've come to question the wisdom of that, but there's
        no use crying over spilt milk. I still think the
        country would be healthier if there was a viable third
        party.

        About Kinky- I debated with myself and with friends
        here for months over whether we should sign his
        petition or vote in the primary. I ended up voting in
        the primary because of local races. A lot of local
        races in El Paso are still decided in the Democratic
        primary, and this year there are several that I feel
        strongly about and that may be decided by a handful of
        votes. I'm hopeful that Kinky can get 45,000
        signatures without my help. It would be easier without
        competition from Strayhorn of course. I intend to vote
        for him in November and will encourage my friends and
        family to vote for him too. Do you think he (or
        Strayhorn for that matter) will have trouble getting
        the signatures? How is his support in Austin? I went
        to see him last year when he visited a local
        bookstore, and there was a crowd of about 200 or 300.
        Perry's most recent visit to El Paso, on the other
        hand, only drew about 60 people. But the local polls
        still show a lot of El Pasoans supporting Perry.

        Greg