Thomas Kean on the controversy

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
      I just happened to read this AP report before seeing
      these posts. It was all over Air America today (so
      consider the source) that the UAE banking system is
      renowned for it propensity for money-laundering and
      that the country itself is heavily into slave-trading.
      Please don't take this as any type of debate or
      position on the issue... I just thought it was germane
      to the discussion. Excerpted from an AP report late
      Fri. night:

      Thomas Kean, a former Republican governor of New
      Jersey who led the bipartisan probe of the Sept. 11
      attacks, said the deal was a big mistake because of
      past connections between the 2001 hijackers and the
      UAE.

      "It shouldn't have happened, it never should have
      happened," Kean said in a telephone interview with The
      Associated Press.

      The quicker the Bush administration can get out of the
      deal, the better, he said. "There's no question that
      two of the 9/11 hijackers came from there and money
      was laundered through there," Kean said.

      Kean acknowledged the UAE is now being helpful by
      allowing the United States to dock ships in its
      country's waters, and helping the U.S. with
      intelligence.

      "From our point of view, we don't want foreigners
      controlling our ports," Kean said. "From their point
      of view, this is a legitimate company that had a
      legitimate bid and won, and here are all these
      congressmen saying all these things about not wanting
      this company. It looks to them like it's anti-Arab."

      "I think this deal is going to be killed," Kean said.
      "The question is how much damage is this going to do
      to us before it's killed."

      Kean's comments threatened to overshadow moves by the
      company and the White House to appease critics by
      delaying the takeover.

      "Governor Kean knows as much as anyone how risky it is
      to deal with the United Arab Emirates," said Rep.
      Peter King (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y.,
      chairman of the House
      Homeland Security Committee and a leading opponent.

      "This just proves that no real investigation was ever
      conducted, and it's unfortunate that he and the other
      9/11 commissioners were not contacted before the
      government approved this."

      The former head of the
      CIA's
      Osama bin Laden unit joined in the criticism.

      "The fact that you are putting a company in place that
      could already be infiltrated by al-Qaida is a silly
      thing to do," said Mike Scheuer, who headed the CIA
      unit until 1999.

      The U.S. operations generating the protests represent
      about 10 percent of a global $6.8 billion acquisition
      by the state-run company.

      Republicans and Democrats in Congress have denounced
      the Bush administration for approving the deal through
      a secretive review process designed to protect
      national security in big corporate mergers.

      Lawmakers led by King and Sen. Charles Schumer (news,
      bio, voting record), D-N.Y., plan to introduce
      legislation next week that would put the deal on hold
      while the government conducts further investigation.

      Hoping to forestall such legislation, Dubai Ports said
      Thursday night it would postpone its action
      indefinitely to give Congress more time to look at the
      deal.

      http://www.newshorn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=884&Itemid=120

> [...]
      > Reyes
      > (D-TX), Mike Ross (D-AR), Mike McNulty (D-NY), Neil
      > Abercrombie (D-HI), Robert Brady (D-PA), Bernie
      > Sanders (I-VT), Chaka Fattah (D-PA), Gene Green
      > (D-TX), Jim Marshall (D-GA), Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX),
      > Solomon Ortiz (D-TX), Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX),
      > Robert Andrews (D-NJ), Joe Baca (D-CA), Jerry Nadler
      > (D-NY), and Bill Clay (D-MO).
      >
      > --- Gregory <greggolopry@...> wrote:
      >
      > > This is the second half of an amazing column by
      > Tom
      > > Friedman. I
      > > think he nailed it right on the head. I copied
      > only
      > > the lower half
      > > for quicker reading and this is where the tire
      > meets
      > > the road.
      > >
      > > ####
      > >
      > > But while I have zero sympathy for the political
      > > mess in which the
      > > president now finds himself, I will not join this
      > > feeding frenzy. On
      > > the pure merits of this case, the president is
      > > right. The port deal
      > > should go ahead. Congress should focus on the
      > N.S.A.
      > > wiretapping. Not
      > > this.
      > >
      > > As a country, we must not go down this road of
      > > global ethnic
      > > profiling � looking for Arabs under our beds the
      > way
      > > we once looked
      > > for commies. If we do � if America, the world's
      > > beacon of pluralism
      > > and tolerance, goes down that road � we will
      > take
      > > the rest of the
      > > world with us. We will sow the wind and we will
      > reap
      > > the whirlwind.
      > >
      > > If there were a real security issue here, I'd join
      > > the critics. But
      > > the security argument is bogus and, I would add,
      > > borderline racist.
      > > Many U.S. ports are run today by foreign
      > companies,
      > > but the U.S.
      > > Coast Guard still controls all aspects of port
      > > security, entry and
      > > exits; the U.S. Customs Service is still in charge
      > > of inspecting the
      > > containers; and U.S. longshoremen still handle the
      > > cargos.
      > >
      > > The port operator simply oversees the coming and
      > > going of ships,
      > > making sure they are properly loaded and offloaded
      > > in the most cost-
      > > effective manner. As my colleague David E. Sanger
      > > reported: "Among
      > > the many problems at American ports, said Stephen
      > E.
      > > Flynn, a retired
      > > Coast Guard commander who is an expert on port
      > > security at the
      > > Council on Foreign Relations, 'who owns the
      > > management contract ranks
      > > near the very bottom.' "
      > >
      > > What ranks much higher for me is the terrible

      === message truncated ===
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
        I heard some of the same reports on Air America, particularly about
        the UAE royal family being friendly with Osama bin Laden in 1999. That
        is worrisome. A friend of mine on another list sent in this article,
        which argues that corporate control of the ports is a bigger problem
        than foreign control.

        http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=62081

        BLOG | Posted 02/21/2006 @ 08:46am
        Corporate Control of Ports Is the Problem -- UPDATED

        The problem with the Bush administration's support for a move by a
        United Arab Emirates-based firm to take over operation of six major
        American ports -- as well as the shipment of military equipment
        through two additional ports -- is not that the corporation in
        question is Arab owned.

        The problem is that Dubai Ports World is a corporation. It happens to
        be a corporation that is owned by the government of the the United
        Arab Emirates, or UAE, a nation that served as an operational and
        financial base for the hijackers who carried out the attacks of 9-11
        attacks, and that has stirred broad concern. But, even if the sale of
        operational control of the ports to this firm did not raise security
        alarm bells, it would be a bad idea.

        Ports are essential pieces of the infrastructure of the United
        States, and they are best run by public authorities that are
        accountable to elected officials and the people those officials
        represent. While traditional port authorities still exist, they are
        increasing marginalized as privatization schemes have allowed
        corporations -- often with tough anti-union attitudes and even
        tougher bottom lines -- to take charge of more and more of the basic
        operations at the nation's ports.

        In the era when the federal government sees "homeland security" as a
        slogan rather than a responsibility, allowing the nation's working
        waterfronts to be run by private firms just doesn't work. It is no
        secret that federal authorities have failed to mandate, let alone
        implement, basic port security measures. But this is not merely a
        federal failure; it is, as well, a private-sector failure. The
        private firms that control so many of the nation's ports have not
        begun to set up a solid system for waterfront security in the more
        than four years since the September 11, 2001 attacks. And shifting
        control of the ports of New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans,
        Miami and Philadelphia -- along with control over the movement of
        military equipment on behalf of the U.S. Army through the ports at
        Beaumont and Corpus Christi -- from a British firm, Peninsular and
        Oriental Steam Navigation Co., to Dubai Ports World, is not going to
        improve the situation.

        Unfortunately, the debate has been posed as a fight over whether Arab-
        owned firms should be allowed to manage ports and other strategic
        sites in the U.S. Media coverage of the debate sets up the
        increasingly ridiculous Homeland Security Secretary, Michael
        Chertoff -- who babbles bureaucratically about how, "We make sure
        there are assurances in place, in general, sufficient to satisfy us
        that the deal is appropriate from a national security standpoint" --
        against members of Congress -- who growl, as U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-
        New York, did over the weekend about the need "to guard against
        things like infiltration by al-Qaida or someone else,"

        There are two fundamental facts about corporations that put this
        controversy about who runs the ports in perspective.

        First: Like most American firms, most Arab-owned firms are committed
        to making money, and the vast majority of them are not about to
        compromise their potential profits by throwing in with terrorists.

        Second: Like most American firms, Arab-owned firms are more concerned
        about satisfying shareholders than anything else. As such, they are
        poor stewards of ports and other vital pieces of the national
        infrastructure that still require the constant investment of public
        funds, as well as responsible oversite by authorities that can see
        more than a bottom line, in order to maintain public safety -- not to
        mention the public good of modern, efficient transportation services.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>