A thought about RN from Sen. Dayton

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2006
      This says a lot about the GOP today!!

      From an interview with Pulse of the Twin Cities - Minneapolis,MN,USA

      Sen. Mark Dayton will be leaving office at the end of 2006; he
      announced his decision not to run again a year ago. Read his commnet
      about RN.

      Pulse: I was talking to some French political activists recently, and
      they were confused about why we in the U.S. categorize Democrats as
      being on the Left, when in France they are considered more on the
      right spectrum, with groups like the Greens and the Social Democrats
      considered more Left.

      Dayton: "When I turned 21 in 1968 and was involved with the social
      movements for social and economic justiceĀ—ending the Vietnam War and
      bringing about a nuclear-free world ... if somebody had told me the
      country was going to shift to the right as drastically as it has, I
      wouldn't have believed it. And so what's considered liberal or left
      these days is so centrist compared to what's considered conservative,
      which is, often, just extremely, off-the-wall reactionary, that it
      boggles my mind, and yet that is what's occurred. Newt Gingrich,
      after he became Speaker of the House in 1995, said that if Richard
      Nixon were still in the House of Representatives, he'd be the most
      liberal member of the House Republican Caucus. That's a depressing
      thought."
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2006
        Good post, Gregory...I think what passes for the
        conservative norm these days would have been labled
        John Birch Society thinking in RN's VP days....and
        sadly, it's only social conservatism; this bunch is
        biggest group of spenders this country has ever seen.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2006
          > which is, often, just extremely, off-the-wall reactionary, that it
          > boggles my mind, and yet that is what's occurred. Newt Gingrich,
          > after he became Speaker of the House in 1995, said that if Richard
          > Nixon were still in the House of Representatives, he'd be the most
          > liberal member of the House Republican Caucus. That's a depressing
          > thought."

          This is very true. Abe Lincoln, Thaddeus Stevens, Bejamin Wade, and
          other founders of the original Republican Party, almost all Northern
          liberals, and even the post-Gilded Age progressive Republicans like
          Teddy Roosevelt, Bob La Follette, and Cabot Lodge Sr., would have
          never expected their party to be controlled by the ex-Confederate Dixies.

          But perhaps it seemed more omnious (and obvious) to the Civil Rights
          era liberal Republicans (already a dwindling faction) like Earl
          Warren, John Chafee, and Nelson Rockefeller, who was booed off stage
          by a lily white audience in the Republican Nation Convention of 1964
          for his anti-segregation stance. The late Minnesota Republican
          ex-Governor, Harold Stassen, took Brian Lamb on Book TV in 1990:

          "I think probably my most unhappy moment was when they nominated Barry
          Goldwater, but I still respected him -- but I disagreed so strongly
          with his, you see, I've never been a right-wing conservative, never
          have, through the years, and I do not believe in the liberal bashing
          that's done. I call myself a creative central person, or as Eisenhower
          use to say, middle way or moderate, so when the party took such an
          extreme turn to the right at that time, while I stayed with the party,
          I believed also in staying in the party and working for your views,
          that turn for Goldwater to me was a, a tragic shift of our party."