Re: Arab Americans see bigotry behind ports uproar

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
      Hi Tom,

      Been a very active week and so I have not responded earlier. But I
      too was a bit surprised by the Ohio matter, though I gather there was
      some polling data that was a part of the background to what happened.

      I have an overall uneasy feeling about the way the Democratic Party
      is unable to form some consensus on the issues that lots of folks are
      talking about around the dinner table. The polls all indicate time
      for a change but the Dems seem reluctant, for many reasons, to ante
      up with principled positions, and Ohio seems to be just one part of a
      larger problem.

      Gregory

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
        I totally agree, Gregory.. I have been very
        disappointed in the Dems since 2002 where their
        attitude was well described by former
        Tx governor Ann Richards as 'me too but not so much.'
        I'm leaning strongly toward not voting in a TX primary
        so I can sign a petition to get author/musician Kinky
        Friedman on the ballot for governor.. the Hackett
        swiftboating was the tipping point.
        What's your thinking out there in El Paso, Greg?

        Tom

        === message truncated ===
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
          Tom, I've also been dissapointed in the Dems for quite
          a while. In 2000 at this time I was out gathering
          signatures to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Texas.
          I've come to question the wisdom of that, but there's
          no use crying over spilt milk. I still think the
          country would be healthier if there was a viable third
          party.

          About Kinky- I debated with myself and with friends
          here for months over whether we should sign his
          petition or vote in the primary. I ended up voting in
          the primary because of local races. A lot of local
          races in El Paso are still decided in the Democratic
          primary, and this year there are several that I feel
          strongly about and that may be decided by a handful of
          votes. I'm hopeful that Kinky can get 45,000
          signatures without my help. It would be easier without
          competition from Strayhorn of course. I intend to vote
          for him in November and will encourage my friends and
          family to vote for him too. Do you think he (or
          Strayhorn for that matter) will have trouble getting
          the signatures? How is his support in Austin? I went
          to see him last year when he visited a local
          bookstore, and there was a crowd of about 200 or 300.
          Perry's most recent visit to El Paso, on the other
          hand, only drew about 60 people. But the local polls
          still show a lot of El Pasoans supporting Perry.

          Greg