Re: Arab Americans see bigotry behind ports uproar

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
      Dear Ram,

      You have made my night! It is late here and I really should be
      retiring for the day but was delighted to know President Carter, a man
      I very much respect views this matter in the way many others, including
      myself, also view it.

      Thanks for this!

      Gregory...a very tired gregory...

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
        Gregory,
        I agree that Arab bashing a terrible thing and shame
        on Frist and H Clinton et al, for being grand
        standers, but I personally want to learn a little more
        about the deal before I can give it my blessing. Lots
        of rumors flying about such as Sec Snowe's involvement
        with his old industry, that there is an impending sale
        of lots fighter jets. etc. Given the UAE's very spotty
        record in fighting and supporting terrorism and that
        it is a state-owned company makes me want get some
        more details.
        My outrage of the week is the Democratic swift-boating
        of Paul Hackett in Ohio.

        Respectfully,
        Tom

      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
          Hi Tom,

          Been a very active week and so I have not responded earlier. But I
          too was a bit surprised by the Ohio matter, though I gather there was
          some polling data that was a part of the background to what happened.

          I have an overall uneasy feeling about the way the Democratic Party
          is unable to form some consensus on the issues that lots of folks are
          talking about around the dinner table. The polls all indicate time
          for a change but the Dems seem reluctant, for many reasons, to ante
          up with principled positions, and Ohio seems to be just one part of a
          larger problem.

          Gregory

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
            I totally agree, Gregory.. I have been very
            disappointed in the Dems since 2002 where their
            attitude was well described by former
            Tx governor Ann Richards as 'me too but not so much.'
            I'm leaning strongly toward not voting in a TX primary
            so I can sign a petition to get author/musician Kinky
            Friedman on the ballot for governor.. the Hackett
            swiftboating was the tipping point.
            What's your thinking out there in El Paso, Greg?

            Tom

            === message truncated ===
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
              Tom, I've also been dissapointed in the Dems for quite
              a while. In 2000 at this time I was out gathering
              signatures to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Texas.
              I've come to question the wisdom of that, but there's
              no use crying over spilt milk. I still think the
              country would be healthier if there was a viable third
              party.

              About Kinky- I debated with myself and with friends
              here for months over whether we should sign his
              petition or vote in the primary. I ended up voting in
              the primary because of local races. A lot of local
              races in El Paso are still decided in the Democratic
              primary, and this year there are several that I feel
              strongly about and that may be decided by a handful of
              votes. I'm hopeful that Kinky can get 45,000
              signatures without my help. It would be easier without
              competition from Strayhorn of course. I intend to vote
              for him in November and will encourage my friends and
              family to vote for him too. Do you think he (or
              Strayhorn for that matter) will have trouble getting
              the signatures? How is his support in Austin? I went
              to see him last year when he visited a local
              bookstore, and there was a crowd of about 200 or 300.
              Perry's most recent visit to El Paso, on the other
              hand, only drew about 60 people. But the local polls
              still show a lot of El Pasoans supporting Perry.

              Greg