Alternative voting methods, what do you think?

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2004
      I know a lot of people are sore at Nader, and instant runoff voting
      is one of his things, but I think it is a great idea. Have you seen
      it explained well? What do you think?

      I just found another alternative voting system that is similar,
      called Condorcet. Haven't had time to analyze it yet.

      This is a step-by-step flash presentation of how IRV works:
      http://www.chrisgates.net/irv/votesequence.html

      A site that champions IRV:
      http://www.fairvote.org/irv/

      These folks explain Condorcet, and oppose IRV:
      http://electionmethods.org/CondorcetEx.htm
      I think their argument against IRV seems too mathy, and ignores an
      important point. It doesn't consider that big parties will change
      their platform in response to performance of small-party candidates
      who have a chance, thereby making a better democracy: people telling
      government what to think and not vice-versa.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17, 2004
        I have heard about instant runoff voting before, and think it's a good
        idea. Thanks for the links.
        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>