Re: Arab Americans see bigotry behind ports uproar

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
      This Arab bashing has really made me nuts the last two days.

      I do not make a habit of defending Presdient Bush. But when he
      deserves support he should have it. The issue of port security, as it
      relates to Dubai Ports World is one where Bush and his Administration
      are correct in their assessment for this company's future involvement
      in six of our nation's ports.

      When I first heard this national uproar I thought back on what I felt
      most people already should know about our ports. (That was my first
      mistake.) The Coast Guard and our customs officials are in charge of
      inspecting incoming cargo. While one can correctly argue that there
      is not enough funding to adequately inspect the volumes of material
      that come to our shores, that is not the issue at this time. (I have
      argued for more such funds but none seems to be in the pipeline.) But
      to state that just because a company is located in the Middle East
      makes them hostile to our interests, or means they are a terrorist
      ridden enterprise, is the most illogical thinking that has poured
      simultaneously out of the mouths of some Republicans and Democrats.
      In addition it should be noted that planning and maintaining for port
      security is not done by the holding company since that too is a
      function of the Coast Guard and Customs officials.

      Why do I think politics has hijacked a sound business plan just in
      time to propel some names into the limelight for the mid-term
      elections, and to propel those who harbor Potomac fever a chance to
      show they are tough and strong on national security? Shame on them!!
      That means Bill Frist and Hillary Clinton!!

      I realize how some could argue this is a good political issue at the
      expense of Bush and the Republicans. I just can't see the benefit of
      denying a business bridge with a reputable company in the Middle East
      for the short-term gain of a few points in a poll.

      Perhaps I should let Bush sum it up for both of us as he (for once)
      can speak for me as my President.

      He said he would veto any legislation to hold up a deal and warned
      the United States was sending 'mixed signals' by going after a
      company from the Middle East when nothing was said when a British
      company was in charge... Lawmakers, he said, must 'step up and
      explain why a Middle Eastern company is held to a different
      standard.' Bush was very forceful when he delivered the
      statement... 'I don't view it as a political fight.'

      Well, Mr. President, they will try and make it into one.

      Gregory

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
        > Well, Mr. President, they will try and make it into one.

        Jimmy Carter actually has no quarrel with the plan either. I think the
        Congressional Republicans are just desperate with these poll numbers:

        http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls.html

        Ram
      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
          Dear Ram,

          You have made my night! It is late here and I really should be
          retiring for the day but was delighted to know President Carter, a man
          I very much respect views this matter in the way many others, including
          myself, also view it.

          Thanks for this!

          Gregory...a very tired gregory...

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
            Gregory,
            I agree that Arab bashing a terrible thing and shame
            on Frist and H Clinton et al, for being grand
            standers, but I personally want to learn a little more
            about the deal before I can give it my blessing. Lots
            of rumors flying about such as Sec Snowe's involvement
            with his old industry, that there is an impending sale
            of lots fighter jets. etc. Given the UAE's very spotty
            record in fighting and supporting terrorism and that
            it is a state-owned company makes me want get some
            more details.
            My outrage of the week is the Democratic swift-boating
            of Paul Hackett in Ohio.

            Respectfully,
            Tom

          • Gregory
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
              Hi Tom,

              Been a very active week and so I have not responded earlier. But I
              too was a bit surprised by the Ohio matter, though I gather there was
              some polling data that was a part of the background to what happened.

              I have an overall uneasy feeling about the way the Democratic Party
              is unable to form some consensus on the issues that lots of folks are
              talking about around the dinner table. The polls all indicate time
              for a change but the Dems seem reluctant, for many reasons, to ante
              up with principled positions, and Ohio seems to be just one part of a
              larger problem.

              Gregory

              --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
                I totally agree, Gregory.. I have been very
                disappointed in the Dems since 2002 where their
                attitude was well described by former
                Tx governor Ann Richards as 'me too but not so much.'
                I'm leaning strongly toward not voting in a TX primary
                so I can sign a petition to get author/musician Kinky
                Friedman on the ballot for governor.. the Hackett
                swiftboating was the tipping point.
                What's your thinking out there in El Paso, Greg?

                Tom

                === message truncated ===
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
                  Tom, I've also been dissapointed in the Dems for quite
                  a while. In 2000 at this time I was out gathering
                  signatures to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Texas.
                  I've come to question the wisdom of that, but there's
                  no use crying over spilt milk. I still think the
                  country would be healthier if there was a viable third
                  party.

                  About Kinky- I debated with myself and with friends
                  here for months over whether we should sign his
                  petition or vote in the primary. I ended up voting in
                  the primary because of local races. A lot of local
                  races in El Paso are still decided in the Democratic
                  primary, and this year there are several that I feel
                  strongly about and that may be decided by a handful of
                  votes. I'm hopeful that Kinky can get 45,000
                  signatures without my help. It would be easier without
                  competition from Strayhorn of course. I intend to vote
                  for him in November and will encourage my friends and
                  family to vote for him too. Do you think he (or
                  Strayhorn for that matter) will have trouble getting
                  the signatures? How is his support in Austin? I went
                  to see him last year when he visited a local
                  bookstore, and there was a crowd of about 200 or 300.
                  Perry's most recent visit to El Paso, on the other
                  hand, only drew about 60 people. But the local polls
                  still show a lot of El Pasoans supporting Perry.

                  Greg