Re: Arab Americans see bigotry behind ports uproar

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
      This move definitely didn't get the approval of Karl Rove.

      Ram
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
        This Arab bashing has really made me nuts the last two days.

        I do not make a habit of defending Presdient Bush. But when he
        deserves support he should have it. The issue of port security, as it
        relates to Dubai Ports World is one where Bush and his Administration
        are correct in their assessment for this company's future involvement
        in six of our nation's ports.

        When I first heard this national uproar I thought back on what I felt
        most people already should know about our ports. (That was my first
        mistake.) The Coast Guard and our customs officials are in charge of
        inspecting incoming cargo. While one can correctly argue that there
        is not enough funding to adequately inspect the volumes of material
        that come to our shores, that is not the issue at this time. (I have
        argued for more such funds but none seems to be in the pipeline.) But
        to state that just because a company is located in the Middle East
        makes them hostile to our interests, or means they are a terrorist
        ridden enterprise, is the most illogical thinking that has poured
        simultaneously out of the mouths of some Republicans and Democrats.
        In addition it should be noted that planning and maintaining for port
        security is not done by the holding company since that too is a
        function of the Coast Guard and Customs officials.

        Why do I think politics has hijacked a sound business plan just in
        time to propel some names into the limelight for the mid-term
        elections, and to propel those who harbor Potomac fever a chance to
        show they are tough and strong on national security? Shame on them!!
        That means Bill Frist and Hillary Clinton!!

        I realize how some could argue this is a good political issue at the
        expense of Bush and the Republicans. I just can't see the benefit of
        denying a business bridge with a reputable company in the Middle East
        for the short-term gain of a few points in a poll.

        Perhaps I should let Bush sum it up for both of us as he (for once)
        can speak for me as my President.

        He said he would veto any legislation to hold up a deal and warned
        the United States was sending 'mixed signals' by going after a
        company from the Middle East when nothing was said when a British
        company was in charge... Lawmakers, he said, must 'step up and
        explain why a Middle Eastern company is held to a different
        standard.' Bush was very forceful when he delivered the
        statement... 'I don't view it as a political fight.'

        Well, Mr. President, they will try and make it into one.

        Gregory

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
          > Well, Mr. President, they will try and make it into one.

          Jimmy Carter actually has no quarrel with the plan either. I think the
          Congressional Republicans are just desperate with these poll numbers:

          http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls.html

          Ram
        • Gregory
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21, 2006
            Dear Ram,

            You have made my night! It is late here and I really should be
            retiring for the day but was delighted to know President Carter, a man
            I very much respect views this matter in the way many others, including
            myself, also view it.

            Thanks for this!

            Gregory...a very tired gregory...

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
              Gregory,
              I agree that Arab bashing a terrible thing and shame
              on Frist and H Clinton et al, for being grand
              standers, but I personally want to learn a little more
              about the deal before I can give it my blessing. Lots
              of rumors flying about such as Sec Snowe's involvement
              with his old industry, that there is an impending sale
              of lots fighter jets. etc. Given the UAE's very spotty
              record in fighting and supporting terrorism and that
              it is a state-owned company makes me want get some
              more details.
              My outrage of the week is the Democratic swift-boating
              of Paul Hackett in Ohio.

              Respectfully,
              Tom

            • Gregory
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
                Hi Tom,

                Been a very active week and so I have not responded earlier. But I
                too was a bit surprised by the Ohio matter, though I gather there was
                some polling data that was a part of the background to what happened.

                I have an overall uneasy feeling about the way the Democratic Party
                is unable to form some consensus on the issues that lots of folks are
                talking about around the dinner table. The polls all indicate time
                for a change but the Dems seem reluctant, for many reasons, to ante
                up with principled positions, and Ohio seems to be just one part of a
                larger problem.

                Gregory

                --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
                  I totally agree, Gregory.. I have been very
                  disappointed in the Dems since 2002 where their
                  attitude was well described by former
                  Tx governor Ann Richards as 'me too but not so much.'
                  I'm leaning strongly toward not voting in a TX primary
                  so I can sign a petition to get author/musician Kinky
                  Friedman on the ballot for governor.. the Hackett
                  swiftboating was the tipping point.
                  What's your thinking out there in El Paso, Greg?

                  Tom

                  === message truncated ===
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 25, 2006
                    Tom, I've also been dissapointed in the Dems for quite
                    a while. In 2000 at this time I was out gathering
                    signatures to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in Texas.
                    I've come to question the wisdom of that, but there's
                    no use crying over spilt milk. I still think the
                    country would be healthier if there was a viable third
                    party.

                    About Kinky- I debated with myself and with friends
                    here for months over whether we should sign his
                    petition or vote in the primary. I ended up voting in
                    the primary because of local races. A lot of local
                    races in El Paso are still decided in the Democratic
                    primary, and this year there are several that I feel
                    strongly about and that may be decided by a handful of
                    votes. I'm hopeful that Kinky can get 45,000
                    signatures without my help. It would be easier without
                    competition from Strayhorn of course. I intend to vote
                    for him in November and will encourage my friends and
                    family to vote for him too. Do you think he (or
                    Strayhorn for that matter) will have trouble getting
                    the signatures? How is his support in Austin? I went
                    to see him last year when he visited a local
                    bookstore, and there was a crowd of about 200 or 300.
                    Perry's most recent visit to El Paso, on the other
                    hand, only drew about 60 people. But the local polls
                    still show a lot of El Pasoans supporting Perry.

                    Greg