Antiwar Protester Arrested Before Speech, but Her Presence Looms Large

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/politics/01scene.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print
      February 1, 2006
      The Scene
      Antiwar Protester Arrested Before Speech, but Her Presence Looms Large
      By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG and ANNE KORNBLUT

      WASHINGTON, Jan. 31—To spotlight his priorities, President Bush
      invited ordinary people — a teacher, a physicist, an Afghan
      politician, the family of a fallen soldier — to the State of the Union
      address on Tuesday. But a Democratic congresswoman turned the tables
      on Mr. Bush by inviting a guest of her own: Cindy Sheehan, the antiwar
      protester who has dogged Mr. Bush from his Texas ranch to the White House.

      Ms. Sheehan's presence loomed large in the House chamber, though she
      was not there. Capitol Police arrested her before the speech began,
      ejecting her from the gallery after they discovered her wearing an
      antiwar T-shirt. A police spokeswoman said Ms. Sheehan was charged
      with unlawful conduct, a misdemeanor.

      The episode sent the Capitol into a tizzy, and the congresswoman who
      invited Ms. Sheehan, Representative Lynn Woolsey of California,
      insisted she was not trying to make Mr. Bush uncomfortable. "I didn't
      see this as a political statement at all," Ms. Woolsey said.

      But on a night when the president was trying to reassert himself, in a
      critical midterm election year with lawmakers nervous about their
      prospects, there was no escaping politics.

      When Mr. Bush entered the House chamber on Tuesday night, his latest
      political trophy — Samuel A. Alito Jr., newly confirmed and sworn in
      as a justice of the Supreme Court — was on full display, a powerful
      reminder that Mr. Bush can still flex his muscles on Capitol Hill.
      Justice Alito smiled sheepishly as the president singled him out in
      the speech. "It's like a prizefighter showing his belt," said Senator
      John Thune, Republican of South Dakota.

      But the prizefighter has taken more than a few punches in recent
      months, and Democrats were rowdier than usual. Although Mr. Bush hit
      as many notes as he could to rally the chamber — paying tribute to
      Coretta Scott King, demanding changes from the newly elected
      Palestinian leadership and a defiant Iran — Mr. Bush gave Democrats
      several openings to get the better of him.

      And they took them. When he defended the National Security Agency
      eavesdropping program, several Democratic members audibly groaned.
      When he scolded Congress for not passing his Social Security program,
      Democrats leaped to their feet in cheers, drowning the president out
      for a long stretch.

      The president arrived in the Capitol at a chaotic moment for
      Congressional Republicans, who are absorbed by the fallout from the
      Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal and consumed with the outcome of
      leadership elections scheduled for Thursday. So the mood on Capitol
      Hill was palpably different from last year, when Mr. Bush, fresh from
      his 2004 re-election victory, was talking about how he had political
      capital and intended to use it. "There ain't no capital," Senator
      Joseph R. Biden Jr., Democrat of Delaware, said. "As a matter of fact,
      he's coming here to borrow."

      Republicans would hardly concede that point, but they did show a
      little less spring in their steps. "We're still exuberant," said
      Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi. "But we have a little bit more
      realization that it's tough getting things done in Washington."

      The State of the Union address is often as much symbolism as
      substance, an occasion for the president to use his invited guests to
      put a human face on his domestic and foreign policy priorities.

      On Tuesday, Mr. Bush did just that, with a compelling counterpoint to
      Ms. Sheehan: the parents and widow of Dan Clay, a 27-year-old Marine
      staff sergeant who was among 10 soldiers killed in Falluja when a
      roadside bomb exploded Dec. 1. When Mr. Bush read aloud from a letter
      Sergeant Clay had written before his death — "I faced death with the
      secure knowledge that you would not have to," the sergeant had written
      — the soldier's mother gently put her hand over her heart.

      The invited guests also included several soldiers, among them a
      wounded Air Force technical sergeant, Jamie Dana, who later adopted
      Rex, her bomb-sniffing dog. Rex was on the guest list, too, and made a
      well-behaved appearance in the chamber.

      Republicans, who regard national security as the president's greatest
      strength, welcomed his effort to seize the spotlight in that arena.
      But with gas prices rising and health care costs spiraling upward,
      some could not help but sound a bit weary.

      "It's a State of the Union address," said Representative Thomas M.
      Davis III, Republican of Virginia. "Like the old saying goes, you
      campaign in poetry and govern in prose. This is poetry. He's got to
      fill in the bones now."
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        I heard on the radio this afternoon that a Republican
        congressman's wife was also removed from the chamber
        for wearing a political shirt. Hers said "Support The
        Troops!" The congressman was very upset about it,
        though the radio reporter noted that he didn't mention
        Sheehan being removed for the same reason.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          The capitol police apologized today, saying no laws
          were broken.. apparently they didn't know that wearing
          T-shirts is legal.

          === message truncated ===
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
            Janeane Garofalo just suggested that the Republican Congressman wife
            is just another Harriet Miers/Alito's wife - the tool of another
            Rovian move by the GOP strategists to divert people's attention.

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>