Re: We can and we will make the year 1974 a year of unprecedented progress

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
      Thank you for posting this article!

      This past weekend I was at a gathering and some were discussing why
      they thought RN was a better President than our current leader.
      These were all Democrats, and either had worked or still worked in
      State government. I listened more than talked (for a bit!) and heard
      real sadness about the way they felt things were now in America. RN
      was a Republican from the old school and never would make it to the
      WH today where social issues and extreme positions are the way to
      rise in the party.

      While he did many things I disliked from campaign tactics Senate
      (1950) to the entire list of events we lump under Watergate, his
      record on many other issues trump those of Bush by a mile..or three.

      And he was smart, read volumes, knew his topics, could talk off the
      cuff with style and facts and never would have allowed some
      underlings to lure him into Iraq.

      So again thank you for posting this!

      Gregory

> [...]
      > decreasing rather than increasing.
      >
      > For the first time in a generation, no young Americans are being
      > drafted into the armed services of the United States. And for the
      > first time ever, we have organized a massive national effort to
      > protect the environment. Our air is getting cleaner, our water is
      > getting purer, and our agriculture, which was depressed, is
      > prospering. Farm income is up 70 percent, farm production is
      setting
      > alltime records, and the billions of dollars the taxpayers were
      > paying in subsidies has been cut to nearly zero.
      >
      > Overall, Americans are living more abundantly than ever before,
      > today. More than 2 1/2 million new jobs were created in the past
      year
      > alone. That is the biggest percentage increase in nearly 20 years.
      > People are earning more. What they earn buys more, more than ever
      > before in history. In the past 5 years, the average American's real
      > spendable income--that is, what you really can buy with your
      income,
      > even after allowing for taxes and inflation--has increased by 16
      > percent.
      >
      > Despite this record of achievement, as we turn to the year ahead we
      > hear once again the familiar voice of the perennial prophets of
      gloom
      > telling us now that because of the need to fight inflation, because
      > of the energy shortage, America may be headed for a recession.
      >
      > Let me speak to that issue head on. There will be no recession in
      the
      > United States of America. Primarily due to our energy crisis, our
      > economy is passing through a difficult period. But I pledge to you
      > tonight that the full powers of this Government will be used to
      keep
      > America's economy producing and to protect the jobs of America's
      > workers.
      >
      > We are engaged in a long and hard fight against inflation. There
      have
      > been, and there will be in the future, ups and downs in that fight.
      > But if this Congress cooperates in our efforts to hold down the
      cost
      > of Government, we shall win our fight to hold down the cost of
      living
      > for the American people.
      >
      > As we look back over our history, the years that stand out as the
      > ones of signal achievement are those in which the Administration
      and
      > the Congress, whether one party or the other, working together, had
      > the wisdom and the foresight to select those particular initiatives
      > for which the Nation was ready and the moment was right--and in
      which
      > they seized the moment and acted.
      >
      > Looking at the year 1974 which lies before us, there are 10 key
      areas
      > in which landmark accomplishments are possible this year in
      America.
      > If we make these our national agenda, this is what we will achieve
      in
      > 1974:
      >
      > We will break the back of the energy crisis; we will lay the
      > foundation for our future capacity to meet America's energy needs
      > from America's own resources.
      >
      > And we will take another giant stride toward lasting peace in the
      > world--not only by continuing our policy of negotiation rather than
      > confrontation where the great powers are concerned but also by
      > helping toward the achievement of a just and lasting settlement in
      > the Middle East.
      >
      > We will check the rise in prices without administering the harsh
      > medicine of recession, and we will move the economy into a steady
      > period of growth at a sustainable level.
      >
      > We will establish a new system that makes high-quality health care
      > available to every American in a dignified manner and at a price he
      > can afford.
      >
      > We will make our States and localities more responsive to the needs
      > of their own citizens.
      >
      > We will make a crucial breakthrough toward better transportation in
      > our towns and in our cities across America.
      >
      > We will reform our system of Federal aid to education, to provide
      it
      > when it is needed, where it is needed, so that it will do the most
      > for those who need it the most.
      >
      > We will make an historic beginning on the task of defining and
      > protecting the right of personal privacy for every American.
      >
      > And we will start on a new road toward reform of a welfare system
      > that bleeds the taxpayer, corrodes the community, and demeans those
      > it is intended to assist.
      >
      > And together with the other nations of the world, we will establish
      > the economic framework within which Americans will share more fully
      > in an expanding worldwide trade and prosperity in the years ahead,
      > with more open access to both markets and supplies.
      >
      > In all of the 186 State of the Union messages delivered from this
      > place, in our history this is the first in which the one priority,
      > the first priority, is energy. Let me begin by reporting a new
      > development which I know will be welcome news to every American. As
      > you know, we have committed ourselves to an active role in helping
      > achieve a just and durable peace in the Middle East, on the basis
      of
      > full implementation of Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338.
      The
      > first step in the process is the disengagement of Egyptian and
      > Israeli forces which is now taking place.
      >
      > Because of this hopeful development, I can announce tonight that I
      > have been assured, through my personal contacts with friendly
      leaders
      > in the Middle Eastern area, that an urgent meeting will be called
      in
      > the immediate future to discuss the lifting of the oil embargo.
      >
      > This is an encouraging sign. However, it should be clearly
      understood
      > by our friends in the Middle East that the United States will not
      be
      > coerced on this issue.
      >
      > Regardless of the outcome of this meeting, the cooperation of the
      > American people in our energy conservation program has already gone
      > long way towards achieving a goal to which I am deeply dedicated.
      Let
      > us do everything we can to avoid gasoline rationing in the United
      > States of America.
      >
      > Last week, I sent to the Congress a comprehensive special message
      > setting forth our energy situation, recommending the legislative
      > measures which are necessary to a program for meeting our needs. If
      > the embargo is lifted, this will ease the crisis, but it will not
      > mean an end to the energy shortage in America. Voluntary
      conservation
      > will continue to be necessary. And let me take this occasion to pay
      > tribute once again to the splendid spirit of cooperation the
      American
> [...]
      >
      > The new legislation I have requested will also remain necessary.
      > Therefore, I urge again that the energy measures that I have
      proposed
      > be made the first priority of this session of the Congress. These
      > measures will require the oil companies and other energy producers
      > provide the public with the necessary information on their
      supplies.
      > They will prevent the injustice of windfall profits for a few as a
      > result of the sacrifices of the millions of Americans. And they
      will
      > give us the organization, the incentives, the authorities needed to
      > deal with the short-term emergency and to move toward meeting our
      > long-term needs.
      >
      > Just as 1970 was the year in which we began a full-scale effort to
      > protect the environment, 1974 must be the year in which we organize
      > full-scale effort to provide for our energy needs, not only in this
      > decade but through the 21st century.
      >
      > As we move toward the celebration 2 years from now of the 200th
      > anniversary of this Nation's independence, let us press vigorously
      on
      > toward the goal I announced last November for Project Independence.
      > Let this be our national goal: At the end of this decade, in the
      year
      > 1980, the United States will not be dependent on any other country
      > for the energy we need to provide our jobs, to heat our homes, and
      > keep our transportation moving.
      >
      > To indicate the size of the Government commitment, to spur energy
      > research and development, we plan to spend $10 billion in Federal
      > funds over the next 5 years. That is an enormous amount. But during
      > the same 5 years, private enterprise will be investing as much as
      > $200 billion-- and in 10 years, $500 billion--to develop the new
      > resources, the new technology, the new capacity America will
      require
      > for its energy needs in the 1980's. That is just a measure of the
      > magnitude of the project we are undertaking.
      >
      > But America performs best when called to its biggest tasks. It can
      > truly be said that only in America could a task so tremendous be
      > achieved so quickly, and achieved not by regimentation, but through
      > the effort and ingenuity of a free people, working in a free
      system.

      > Turning now to the rest of the agenda for 1974, the time is at hand
      > this year to bring comprehensive, high quality health care within
      the
      > reach of every American. I shall propose a sweeping new program
      that
      > will assure comprehensive health insurance protection to millions
      of
      > Americans who cannot now obtain it or afford it, with vastly
      improved
      > protection against catastrophic illnesses. This will be a plan that
      > maintains the high standards of quality in America's health care.
      And
      > it will not require additional taxes.
      >
      > Now, I recognize that other plans have been put forward that would
      > cost $80 billion or even $100 billion and that would put our whole
      > health care system under the heavy hand of the Federal Government.
      > This is the wrong approach. This has been tried abroad, and it has
      > failed. It is not the way we do things here in America. This kind
      of
      > plan would threaten the quality of care provided by our whole
      health
      > care system. The right way is one that builds on the strengths of
      the
      > present system and one that does not destroy those strengths, one
      > based on partnership, not paternalism. Most important of all, let
      us
      > keep this as the guiding principle of our health programs.
      Government
      > has a great role to play, but we must always make sure that our
      > doctors will be working for their patients and not for the Federal
      > Government.
      >
      > Many of you will recall that in my State of the Union Address 3
      years
      > ago, I commented that "Most Americans today are simply fed up with
      > government at all levels," and I recommended a sweeping set of
      > proposals to revitalize State and local governments, to make them
      > more responsive to the people they serve. I can report to you today
      > that as a result of revenue sharing passed by the Congress, and
      other
      > measures, we have made progress toward that goal. After 40 years of
      > moving power from the States and the communities to Washington,
      D.C.,
      > we have begun moving power back from Washington to the States and
      > communities and, most important, to the people of America.
      >
      > In this session of the Congress, I believe we are near the
      > breakthrough point on efforts which I have suggested, proposals to
      > let people themselves make their own decisions for their own
      > communities and, in particular, on those to provide broad new
      > flexibility in Federal aid for community development, for economic
      > development, for education. And I look forward to working with the
      > Congress, with members of both parties in resolving whatever
      > remaining differences we have in this legislation so that we can
      make
      > available nearly $5 1/2 billion to our States and localities to use
      > not for what a Federal bureaucrat may want, but for what their own
      > people in those communities want. The decision should be theirs.
      >
      > I think all of us recognize that the energy crisis has given new
      > urgency to the need to improve public transportation, not only in
      our
      > cities but in rural areas as well. The program I have proposed this
      > year will give communities not only more money but also more
      freedom
      > to balance their own transportation needs. It will mark the
      strongest
      > Federal commitment ever to the improvement of mass transit as an
      > essential element of the improvement of life in our towns and
      cities.

      > One goal on which all Americans agree is that our children should
      > have the very best education this great Nation can provide.
      >
      > In a special message last week, I recommended a number of important
      > new measures that can make 1974 a year of truly significant
      advances
      > for our schools and for the children they serve. If the Congress
      will
      > act on these proposals, more flexible funding will enable each
      > Federal dollar to meet better the particular need of each
      particular
      > school district. Advance funding will give school authorities a
      > chance to make each year's plans, knowing ahead of time what
      Federal
> [...]
      in
      > 1969 to 29 percent in the current year. We have cut our military
      > manpower over the past 5 years by more than a third, from 3.5
      million
      > to 2.2 million.
      >
      > In the coming year, however, increased expenditures will be needed.
      > They will be needed to assure the continued readiness of our
      military
      > forces, to preserve present force levels in the face of rising
      costs,
      > and to give us the military strength we must have if our security
      is
      > to be maintained and if our initiatives for peace are to succeed.
      >
      > The question is not whether we can afford to maintain the necessary
      > strength of our defense, the question is whether we can afford not
      > maintain it, and the answer to that question is no. We must never
      > allow America to become the second strongest nation in the world.
      >
      > I do not say this with any sense of belligerence, because I
      recognize
      > the fact that is recognized around the world. America's military
      > strength has always been maintained to keep the peace, never to
      break
      > it. It has always been used to defend freedom, never to destroy it.
      > The world's peace, as well as our own, depends on our remaining as
      > strong as we need to be as long as we need to be.
      >
      > In this year 1974, we will be negotiating with the Soviet Union to
      > place further limits on strategic nuclear arms. Together with our
      > allies, we will be negotiating with the nations of the Warsaw Pact
      on
      > mutual and balanced reduction of forces in Europe. And we will
      > continue our efforts to promote peaceful economic development in
      > Latin America, in Africa, in Asia. We will press for full
      compliance
      > with the peace accords that brought an end to American fighting in
      > Indo-china, including particularly a provision that promised the
      > fullest possible accounting for those Americans who are missing in
      > action.
      >
      > And having in mind the energy crisis to which I have referred to
      > earlier, we will be working with the other nations of the world
      > toward agreement on means by which oil supplies can be assured at
      > reasonable prices on a stable basis in a fair way to the consuming
      > and producing nations alike.
      >
      > All of these are steps toward a future in which the world's peace
      and
      > prosperity, and ours as well as a result, are made more secure.
      >
      > Throughout the 5 years that I have served as your President, I have
      > had one overriding aim, and that was to establish a new structure
      of
      > peace in the world that can free future generations of the scourge
      of
      > war. I can understand that others may have different priorities.
      This