White House calls for investigation of border standoff

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2006
      http://www.ktsm.com/story_news.sstg?c=1500
      A U-S official who demanded anonymity has confirmed
      the Mexican
      claims, saying the F-B-I and others have found no
      evidence the men were soldiers.

      http://edit.elpasotimes.gannettonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS/60125020/1001
      White House calls for investigation of border standoff

      The border standoff between U.S. officials and armed
      drug smugglers dressed like members of the Mexican
      military that took place in Sierra Blanca on Monday
      has risen to the national level, with the White House
      and members of Congress calling for investigations.

      At a White House briefing on Wednesday, Press
      Secretary Scott McClellan said the incident is under
      investigation by the Department of Homeland Security's
      Customs and Border Protection Agency. “And we've also
      been in contact with the government of Mexico, and
      asked for a thorough investigation and response from
      Mexico.”

      U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-El Paso, supported the
      U.S. investigation, calling it something “you have to
      have.”

      Jake Rollow may be reached at jrollow@...;
      546-6137.

      Read the full story in tomorrow's El Paso Times.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2006
        Did anyone read about this in any of the major news
        outlets last week?

        Ex-EPA Chiefs Blame Bush in Global Warming

        By JOHN HEILPRIN, Associated Press Writer Thu Jan 19,
        7:20 PM ET

        WASHINGTON - The U.S. is failing to take the lead in
        confronting global warming, a "dishonest" and
        "self-destructive" approach that only worsens the
        problem, say former federal environmental chiefs

        "We need leadership, and I don't think we're getting
        it," Russell Train said Wednesday at an
        Environmental Protection Agency symposium
        commemorating the agency's 35th anniversary.

        Added Bill Ruckelshaus: "I don't think there's a
        commitment in this administration."

        They were among six former EPA heads — five
        Republicans and one Democrat — who accused the Bush
        administrations of neglecting global warming and other
        environmental problems.

        Train said slowing the growth of "greenhouse" gases
        isn't enough.

        "To sit back and just push it away and say we'll deal
        with it sometime down the road is dishonest to the
        people and self-destructive" said Train, who succeeded
        Ruckelshaus in the Nixon and Ford administrations.
        Ruckelshaus was the first EPA chief.

        All of the former administrators and the current one,
        Stephen Johnson, raised their hands when the event
        moderator asked whether they believe global warming is
        a real problem and again when he asked if humans bear
        significant blame.

        Johnson said the Bush administration has spent $20
        billion on research and technology to combat climate
        change after
        President Bush rejected mandatory controls on carbon
        dioxide. That's the chief gas blamed for trapping heat
        in the atmosphere like a greenhouse.

        Bush has kept the United States out of the Kyoto
        international treaty to reduce greenhouse gases,
        saying the pact would harm the U.S. economy. Many of
        the accord's terms were negotiated by the Clinton
        administration but it was never ratified by the
        Senate.

        "I know from the president on down, he is committed,"
        Johnson said. "And certainly his charge to me was, and
        certainly our team has heard it: 'I want you to
        accelerate the pace of environmental protection. I
        want you to maintain our economic competitiveness.'
        And I think that's really what it's all about."

        But Lee Thomas, Ruckelshaus' successor in the Reagan
        administration, said "if the United States doesn't
        deal with those kinds of issues in a leadership role,
        they're not going to get dealt with. So I'm very
        concerned about this country and this agency."

        Bill Reilly, the EPA administrator under the first
        President Bush, said, "The time will come when we will
        address seriously the problem of climate change, and
        this is the agency that's best equipped to anticipate
        it."

        Christie Whitman, the first of three EPA
        administrators in the current Bush administration,
        said people obviously are having "an enormous impact"
        on the earth's warming.

        "You'd need to be in a hole somewhere to think that
        the amount of change that we have imposed on land, and
        the way we've handled deforestation, farming
        practices, development, and what we're putting into
        the air, isn't exacerbating what is probably a natural
        trend," she said. "But this is worse, and it's getting
        worse."

        Carol Browner, who was
        President Clinton's EPA administrator, said the White
        House and the Congress should push legislation to
        establish a carbon trading program based on a 1990
        pollution trading program that helped reduce acid
        rain.

        "If we wait for every single scientist who has a
        thought on the issue of climate change to agree, we
        will never do anything," she said.

        Three former administrators did not attend Wednesday's
        ceremony:
        Mike Leavitt, the current health and human services
        secretary; Doug Costle, who was in the Carter
        administration; and Anne Burford, a Reagan appointee
        who died last year.

        ___

        On the Net:

        Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov

        * Email Story
        * IM Story
        * Discuss
        * Printable View

        RECOMMEND THIS STORY

        Recommend It:

        Average (9 votes)
        4.1 stars
        » Recommended Stories
        Full Coverage: Climate Change

        Off the Wires
        * Al Gore to publish book on global warming in
        April Reuters, Tue Jan 24, 1:10 PM ET
        * Warming Probably Not Killing Ariz. Frogs AP, Mon
        Jan 23, 9:15 PM ET

        Feature Articles
        * Do trees share blame for global warming? at
        Christian Science Monitor, Jan 19
        * Why Are These Frogs Croaking? at TIME Magazine,
        Jan 16

        News Stories
        * Studies Support Emissions Plans at The Los
        Angeles Times (reg. req'd), Jan 23
        * Former EPA chiefs join the clamor: Bush must
        lead the fight against climate change before it's too
        late at Houston Chronicle, Jan 22

        Opinion & Editorials
        * Oceans in Peril at The Washington Post (reg.
        req'd), Jan 23
        * Ignoring climate change, a human folly beyond
        imagining at The Daily Star (Lebanon), Jan 19

        Science News
        * Astronomers Find Small, Distant Planet AP
        * Scientists Photograph Kauai Wolf Spiders AP
        * Scientists Discover World's Smallest Fish AP
        * High Cancer Rates Found in Md. Catfish AP
        * Scientists Use Web Site to Predict Disease AP

        Most Viewed - Science
        * Two Large Lakes Discovered Under Antarctic Ice
        SPACE.com / LiveScience.com
        * U.S. Scientist Entangled in Stem Cell Scam AP
        * Tiny Mouse May Stay on Endangered List AP
        * Scientists Photograph Kauai Wolf Spiders AP
        * Astronomers Find Small, Distant Planet AP

        In this handout photo released by the Environmental
        Protection Agency, current EPA chief, Stephen Johnson,
        with michrophone, fourth from left, is joined by
        former administrators, from left, Gov. Christine Todd
        Whitman, Russell Train, Bill Ruckelshaus, Lee Thomas,
        Carol Browner and Bill Reilly Wednesday, Jan. 18,
        2006, in Washington. Six former heads of the
        Environmental Protection Agency accused the Bush
        administration Wednesday of neglecting global warming
        and other environmental problems. (AP Photo/EPA, Eric
        Vance, HO)
        AP Photo: In this handout photo released by the
        Environmental Protection Agency, current EPA chief,
        Stephen Johnson,...

        * Slideshow: Climate Change Issues

        Add headlines to your personalized My Yahoo!
        page
        * (About My Yahoo! and RSS)
        Science - AP
        Add to My Yahoo!