Specter: If Bush broke law, impeachment is a remedy

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2006
      http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/1/15/10472/0158
      Specter: If Bush broke law, impeachment is a remedy
      by kos
      Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 08:47:02 AM PDT

      Specter ups the ante on ABC's This Week:

      STEPHANOPOULOS: There was a lot of talk about that at the Alito
      hearings, and listening closely to you I certainly seem to take away
      that you believe the president does not have the right, does not have
      the inherent power under the Constitution to circumvent a
      constitutional law, and as far as you are concerned, the FISA law is
      constitutional, isn't it?

      SPECTER: Well, I started off by saying that he didn't have the
      authority under the resolution authorizing the use of force. The
      president has to follow the Constitution. Where you have a law which
      is constitutional, like Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, there
      still may be collateral different powers in the president under
      wartime circumstances.

      That's a very knotty question that I'm not prepared to answer on a
      Sunday soundbite. But I do believe that it ought to be thoroughly
      examined. And when we were on the Patriot Act and found the disclosure
      of the surveillance, I immediately said the Judiciary Committee would
      hold hearings, and I talked to the attorney general, and we're going
      to explore it in depth, George. You can count on that.

      STEPHANOPOULOS: You know, if the president did break the law or
      circumvent the law, what's the remedy?

      SPECTER: Well, the remedy could be a variety of things. A
      president -- and I'm not suggesting remotely that there's any basis,
      but you're asking, really, theory, what's the remedy? Impeachment is a
      remedy. After impeachment, you could have a criminal prosecution, but
      the principal remedy, George, under our society is to pay a political
      price.