Re: DeLay to give up majority leader post

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
      > Technically the Harding administration lasted only about 2 years
      > between his inauguration and his death in 1922. But Coolidge kept most
      > of his cabinet members until the end the remaining term.

      And, of course, I actually meant 1923 not 1922.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
        Good point, Ram.. I had it in my head that he died in
        early 1924, but it was actually Aug. 2, 1923. Does
        anyone have an opinion on whether the discovery of the
        scandal hastened his demise?

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
          http://www.fvza.org/harding.html
          Famous Cases: Who Killed Warren Harding?

          Report Number: 2381*

          *As the actual file is missing, this case has been pieced together
          from interviews, memoirs and assorted public records.

          Date: August 2, 1923
          Location: San Francisco, California

          Of all the American presidents who died in office, none had more
          questions surrounding his demise than the 29th President, Warren
          Harding. After Harding expired in San Francisco on August 2, 1923, the
          cause of death was ascribed to food poisoning, a determination later
          changed to stroke. However, many people suspected murder, as Harding
          had his share of enemies. But the true story behind Harding's death
          may have gone to the grave with one dogged FVZA Agent.

          Background: Warren Harding came out of nowhere to seize the 1920
          Republican Presidential nomination and go on to win the election.
          Almost from the outset, his administration was plagued with scandal.
          Harding installed several of his old Ohio friends in important
          positions within his Cabinet, and his White House was known more for
          its poker games and evening burlesques than for any actual
          legislation. The mid-term congressional elections of 1922, in which
          Republican candidates got hammered, were a wake-up call for Harding,
          who said of his friends, "they're the ones that keep me walking the
          floors at night." In a June 1923 speech, Harding vowed to rid his
          administration of corruption. But before doing so, the President had
          to make a long-promised trip west with his wife Florence and his good
          friend Jess Smith, assistant to the U.S. Attorney General.

          Shortly before he left, the President received information that
          someone in the Justice Department was receiving kickbacks from Chicago
          gangster Al Capone's organization in order to protect Capone's
          monopoly on bootlegging (the United States had been "dry" since
          Prohibition began in 1919). Harding discussed the matter with Jess
          Smith, and both men endeavored to launch a full investigation when
          they returned to Washington.

          Harding's historic trip west was beset with problems. A ship taking
          the President up the Alaska coast ran aground, then the President
          became sick with food poisoning after dining on some local crabs. On
          July 30, 1923, as the ship set sail from Alaska to San Francisco for
          the last leg of the trip, President Harding was eager to get back to
          Washington and commence a new, corruption-free chapter in his presidency.

          Incident: On the night of August 1, Franklin Prevost, Director of the
          FVZA office in San Francisco, received an urgent call from Jess Smith
          asking him to meet the Presidential boat as it steamed into the
          harbor. Prevost, an ambitious, idealistic young man who had risen to
          become the youngest regional director in the Agency's history, boarded
          the boat on a typically foggy San Francisco evening and was informed
          by Smith that President Harding had been bitten by a vampire some time
          the previous evening. Smith told Prevost that one of the ship's hands,
          a Norwegian named Olaf Johans, had done it, and that he had leaped
          overboard after the attack. Prevost entered the Presidential Suite and
          found Harding in a vampiric coma, the telltale puncture wounds on his
          neck, his wife Florence at his bedside. A brief discussion arrived at
          the only reasonable course of action, and the President was put out of
          his misery with a dose of cyanide.

          Both Smith and Florence Harding wanted to keep the true means of the
          President's demise a secret. Prevost was hesitant, but eventually
          agreed to keep quiet and so, on August 2, 1923, it was announced that
          President Harding had died of food poisoning while on his way to San
          Francisco. No further investigation was ever conducted, as Florence
          Harding would not allow an autopsy on her husband. The body was
          returned to Washington for burial, and for the first and only time in
          American history, an FVZA report was suppressed.

          The official version of death by poisoning did little to quell rumors
          flying around Washington and the rest of the country. Why hadn't Mrs.
          Harding permitted an autopsy, and why was there such a hasty burial?
          If Warren Harding had been murdered, then there were no shortage of
          suspects. Harding's promise to wipe out corruption would likely mean
          jail time for some of his pals. Even Harding's wife, Florence, came
          under suspicion, as the President's many affairs had caused her great
          personal anguish and embarrassment.

          Investigation: The rumors and suspicions eventually died down as
          Vermonter Calvin Coolidge assumed the reins of government. But across
          the country in San Francisco, several unanswered questions continued
          to nag at FVZA Director Prevost. How had a man bitten by a vampire
          been able to board a ship carrying the President? And how had that
          vampire gotten to Harding, who was under full Secret Service protection?

          Prevost quietly began his own investigation, interviewing everyone who
          had been on or around the ship in the days leading up to Harding's
          death. He learned that the Norwegian shiphand had disappeared two days
          before the ship's departure from Alaska. A big break came when a
          witness identified John Scalise and Albert Anselmi, two thugs from the
          Al Capone crime organization, as leaving the ship the night before
          Harding was bitten. Prevost began to consider the possibility that
          Capone had put a hit on the President to preserve his bootlegging
          operation. But the means of the hit-murder by vampire-didn't match
          gangster modus operandi. And it still didn't explain how the vampire
          had gotten to the President.

          Then came a stunning announcement from Washington: former Assistant
          Attorney General Jess Smith had been indicted for accepting bribes
          from Al Capone. For Prevost, Smith's link to Capone seemed to solve
          the puzzle of Harding's death. During the trip west, Smith had enjoyed
          unfettered access to the President, and stood to lose much in
          Harding's promised purge of corruption. In addition, as assistant head
          of the Justice Department, Smith had access to the FVZA lab, from
          which several vials of vampire blood had gone missing shortly before
          President Harding's trip west. Prevost told FVZA Director Hilton
          Dickerson of his findings; Dickerson summoned him to Washington, and
          told to bring along his report.

          Prevost left San Francisco for Washington on September 12, 1924, but
          he never reached his destination. As he stepped off the train in St.
          Louis, two men with tommy guns burst into the station and opened fire.
          Prevost was shot 12 times, and died a short time later at a nearby
          hospital. His report was never recovered.

          Eyewitness accounts of Prevost's murderers matched descriptions of
          Capone hit men Scalise and Anselmi. But before police could question
          the two men, they turned up dead, riddled with shotgun blasts in a
          Chicago barbershop.

          Post-Mortems: Although Prevost's file was gone, he left behind enough
          information in his San Francisco office to build a case against Jess
          Smith in the death of Harding. FVZA Director Hilton Dickerson had
          every intention of pursuing the case, until Smith himself wound up
          dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound (the gun was
          found in his right hand, but the bullet wound was in his left temple).
          Smith's death meant that, only two years after Harding's death,
          virtually everyone involved in the event was gone (Florence Harding
          died November 21, 1924). Only Al Capone remained, and he wasn't
          talking. The Harding assassination case was dropped, and Capone
          continued to prosper until he was jailed for tax evasion in 1931.
          Afflicted with syphilis, he died in Florida in 1947.

          Comments from Dr. Pecos: Is it possible that Warren Harding's close
          friend and Assistant Attorney General Jess Smith arranged and helped
          carry out the murder of the President? The evidence is certainly
          compelling. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth, and Harding's
          cause of death is still officially listed as a stroke. For Franklin
          Prevost, a man accustomed to battling the undead, the fight against
          organized crime was played out under a different set of rules. Though
          he paid for it with his life, Franklin Prevost's courage stands as a
          proud chapter in FVZA history.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
            I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
            accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
            Frank Prevost on Google. But I did find some on Jess Smith. He was
            Assistant Attorney General and he apparently was tied to Capone. He
            committed suicide in 1923, probably with help from Capone.

            http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0500831h.html
            http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:HnO7jUcRQNkJ:www.georgetown.txed.net/faculty/ghs/FisherJ/AP%2520US/The%25201920.doc+%22Jess+Smith%22+Capone&hl=en
            http://www.referatele.com/referate/engleza/online7/Prohibition-referatele-com.php

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
              > I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
              > accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
              > Frank Prevost on Google.

              I thought they were just a conspiracy group who write parodies about
              the vampires and zombies. I should have mentioned that in the first
              place. Here is a more serious and scholarly account from the book
              written by Frederick Lewis Allen published in 1931:

              http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/ALLEN/ch6.html
              HARDING AND THE SCANDALS

              Having been personal attorney for Warren G. Harding before he was
              Senator from Ohio and while he was Senator, and thereafter until his
              death.
              --And for Mrs. Harding for a period of several years, and before her
              husband was elected President and after his death,
              --And having been attorney for the Midland National Bank of Washington
              Court House, O., and for my brother, M. S. Daugherty,
              --And having been Attorney-General of the United States during the
              time that President Harding served as President,
              --And also for a time after President Harding's death under President
              Coolidge,
              --And with all of those named, as attorney, personal friend, and
              Attorney-General, my relations were of the most confidential character
              as well as professional,
              --I refuse to testify and answer questions put to me, because:
              The answer I might give or make and the testimony I might give might
              tend to incriminate me.

              --Harry M. Daugherty's written reply when called upon by Judge
              Thacher for information for the Federal Grand Jury in New York, March
              31, 1926. (Punctuation revised.)

              ON THE morning of March 4, 1921,—a brilliant morning with a frosty air
              and a wind which whipped the flags of Washington—Woodrow Wilson,
              broken and bent and ill, limped from the White House door to a waiting
              automobile, rode down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol with the
              stalwart President-elect at his side, and returned to the bitter
              seclusion of his private house in S Street. Warren Gamaliel Harding
              was sworn in as President of the United States. The reign of normalcy
              had begun.

              March 4, 1921: what do those cold figures mean to you? Let us for turn
              back for a moment to that day and look about us.

              The war had been over for more than two years, although, as the Treaty
              of Versailles had been thrown out by the Senate and Woodrow Wilson had
              refused to compromise with the gentlemen at the other end of the
              Avenue, a technical state of war still existed between Germany and the
              United States. Business, having boomed until the middle of 1920, was
              collapsing into the depths of depression and dragging down with it the
              price-level which had caused so much uproar about the High Cost of
              Living. The Big Red Scare was gradually ebbing, although the
              super-patriots still raged and Sacco and Vanzetti had not yet come to
              trial before Judge Thayer. The Ku-Klux Klan was acquiring its first
              few hundred thousand members. The Eighteenth Amendment was entering
              upon its second year, and rum-runners and bootleggers were beginning
              to acquire confidence. The sins of the flappers were disturbing the
              nation; it was at about this time that Philadelphia produced the
              "moral gown" and the Literary Digest featured a symposium entitled,
              "Is the Younger Generation in Peril?" The first radio broadcasting
              station in the country was hardly four months old and the radio craze
              was not yet. Skirts had climbed halfway to the knee and seemed likely
              to go down again, a crime commission had just been investigating
              Chicago's crime wave, Judge Landis had become the czar of baseball,
              Dempsey and Carpentier had signed to meet the following summer at
              Boyle's Thirty Acres, and Main Street and The Outline of History were
              becoming best sellers.

              The nation was spiritually tired. Wearied by the excitements of the
              war and the nervous tension of the Big Red Scare, they hoped for quiet
              and healing. Sick of Wilson and his talk of America's duty to
              humanity, callous to political idealism, they hoped for a chance to
              pursue their private affairs without governmental interference and to
              forget about public affairs. There might be no such word in the
              dictionary as normalcy, but normalcy was what they wanted.

              Every new administration at Washington begins in a atmosphere of
              expectant good will, but in this case the airs which lapped the
              capital were particularly bland. The smile of the new President was as
              warming as a spring thaw after a winter of discontent. For four long
              years the gates of the White House had been locked and guarded with
              sentries. Harding's first official act was to throw them open, to
              permit a horde of sight-seers to roam the grounds and flatten their
              noses against the executive window-panes and photograph one another
              under the great north portico; to permit flivvers and trucks to detour
              from Pennsylvania Avenue up the driveway and chortle right past the
              presidential front door. The act seemed to symbolize the return of the
              government to the people. Wilson had been denounced as an autocrat,
              had proudly kept his own counsel; Harding modestly said he would rely
              on the "best minds" to advise him, and took his oath of office upon
              the verse from Micah which asks, "What doth the Lord require of thee
              but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"
              Wilson had seemed to be everlastingly prying into the affairs of
              business and had distrusted most business men; Harding meant to give
              them as free a hand as possible "to resume their normal onward way."
              And finally, whereas Wilson had been an austere academic theorist,
              Harding was "just folks": he radiated an unaffected good nature, met
              reporters and White House visitors with a warm handclasp and a genial
              word, and touched the sentimental heart of America by establishing in
              the White House a dog named Laddie Boy. "The Washington atmosphere of
              today is like that of Old Home Week or a college class reunion," wrote
              Edward G. Lowry shortly after Harding took office. "The change is
              amazing. The populace is on a broad grin." An era of good will seemed
              to be beginning.

              Warren Harding had two great assets, and these were already apparent.
              First, he looked as a President of the United States should. He was
              superbly handsome. His face and carriage had a Washingtonian nobility
              and dignity, his eyes were benign; he photographed well and the
              pictures of him in the rotogravure sections won him affection and
              respect. And he was the friendliest man who ever had entered the White
              House. He seemed to like everybody, he wanted to do favors for
              everybody, he wanted to make everybody happy. His affability was not
              merely the forced affability of the cold-blooded politician; it was
              transparently and touchingly genuine. "Neighbor," he had said to
              Herbert Hoover at their first meeting, during the war, "I want to be
              helpful." He meant it; and now that he was President, he wanted to be
              helpful to neighbors from Marion and neighbors from campaign
              headquarters and to the whole neighborly American public.

              His liabilities were not at first so apparent, yet they were
              disastrously real. Beyond the limited scope of his political
              experience he was "almost unbelievably ill-informed," as William Allen
              White put it. His mind was vague and fuzzy. Its quality was revealed
              in the clogged style of his public addresses, in his choice of turgid
              and maladroit language ("non-involvement" in European affairs,
              "adhesion" to a treaty), and in his frequent attacks of suffix trouble
              ("normalcy" for normality, "betrothment" for betrothal). It was
              revealed even more clearly in his helplessness when confronted by
              questions of policy to which mere good nature could not find the
              answer. White tells of Harding's coming into the office of one of his
              secretaries after a day of listening to his advisers wrangling over a
              tax problem, and crying out: "John, I can't make a damn thing out of
              this tax problem. I listen to one side and they seem right, and
              then—God!—I talk to the other side and they seem just as right, and
              here I am where I started. I know somewhere there is a book that will
              give me the truth, but, hell, I couldn't read the book. I know
              somewhere there is an economist who knows the truth, but I don't know
              where to find him and haven't the sense to know him and trust him when
              I find him. God! what a job!" His inability to discover for himself
              the essential facts of a problem and to think it through made him
              utterly dependent upon subordinates and friends whose mental processes
              were sharper than his own.

              If he had been discriminating in the choice of his friends and
              advisers, all might have been well. But discrimination had been left
              out of his equipment. He appointed Charles Evans Hughes and Herbert
              Hoover and Andrew Mellon to Cabinet positions out of a vague sense
              that they would provide his administration with the necessary amount
              of statesmanship, but he was as ready to follow the lead of Daugherty
              or Fall or Forbes. He had little notion of technical fitness for
              technical jobs. Offices were plums to him, and he handed them out like
              a benevolent Santa Claus—beginning with the boys from Marion. He made
              his brother-in-law Superintendent of Prisons; he not only kept the
              insignificant Doctor Sawyer, of Sawyer's Sanitarium at Marion, as his
              personal physician, but bestowed upon him what a White House
              announcement called a "brigadier-generalcy" (suffix trouble again) and
              deputed him to study the possible coordination of the health agencies
              of the government; and for Comptroller of the Currency he selected D.
              R. Crissinger, a Marion lawyer whose executive banking experience was
              limited to a few months as president of the National City Bank and
              Trust Company—of Marion.

              Nor did Harding appear to be able to distinguish between honesty and
              rascality. He had been trained in the sordid school of practical Ohio
              politics. He had served for years as the majestic Doric false front
              behind which Ohio lobbyists and fixers and purchasers of privilege had
              discussed their "business propositions" and put over their "little
              deals"—and they, too, followed him to Washington, along with the boys
              from Marion. Some of them he put into positions of power, others he
              saw assuming positions of power; knowing them intimately, he must have
              known—if he was capable of a minute's clear and unprejudiced
              thought—how they would inevitably use those positions; but he was too
              fond of his old cronies, too anxious to have them share his good
              fortune, and too muddle-minded to face the issue until it was too
              late. He liked to slip away from the White House to the house in H
              Street where the Ohio gang and their intimates reveled and liquor
              flowed freely without undue regard for prohibition, and a man could
              take his pleasure at the poker table and forget the cares of state;
              and the easiest course to take was not to inquire too closely into
              what the boys were doing, to hope that if they were grafting a little
              on the side they'd be reasonable about it and not do anything to let
              old Warren down.

              And why did he choose such company? The truth was that under his
              imposing exterior he was just a common small-town man, an "average
              sensual man," the sort of man who likes nothing better in the world
              than to be with the old bunch when they gather at Joe's place for an
              all-Saturday-night session, with waistcoats unbuttoned and cigars
              between their teeth and an ample supply of bottles and cracked ice at
              hand. His private life was one of cheap sex episodes; as one reads the
              confessions of his mistress, who claims that as President he was
              supporting an illegitimate baby born hardly a year before his
              election, one is struck by the shabbiness of the whole affair: the
              clandestine meetings in disreputable hotels, in the Senate Office
              Building (where Nan Britton believed their child to have been
              conceived), and even in a coat-closet in the executive offices of the
              White House itself. (Doubts have been cast upon the truth of the story
              told in The President's Daughter, but is it easy to imagine any one
              making up out of whole cloth a supposedly autobiographical story
              compounded of such ignoble adventures?) Even making due allowance for
              the refraction of Harding's personality through that of Nan Britton,
              one sees with deadly clarity the essential ordinariness of the man,
              the commonness of his "Gee, dearie" and "Say, you darling," his being
              swindled out of a hundred dollars by card sharpers on a train ride,
              his naive assurance to Nan, when detectives broke in upon them in a
              Broadway hotel, that they could not be arrested because it was illegal
              to detain a Senator while "en route to Washington to serve the
              people." Warren Harding's ambitious wife had tailored and groomed him
              into outward respectability and made a man of substance of him; yet
              even now, after he had reached the White House, the rowdies of the
              Ohio gang were fundamentally his sort. He had risen above them, he
              could mingle urbanely with their superiors, but it was in the smoke
              filled rooms of the house in H Street that he was really most at home.

              Harding had no sooner arrived at the White House than a swarm of
              practical politicians of the McKinley-Foraker vintage reappeared in
              Washington. Blowsy gentlemen with cigars stuck in their cheeks and
              rolls of very useful hundred-dollar bills in their pockets began to
              infest the Washington hotels. The word ran about that you could do
              business with the government now——if you only fixed things up with the
              right man. The oil men licked their chops; had they not lobbied
              powerfully at the Chicago convention for the nomination of just such a
              man as Harding, who did not take this conservation nonsense too
              seriously, and would not Harding's Secretary of the Interior, Albert
              B. Fall, let them develop the national resources on friendly and not
              too stringent terms? The Ohio gang chuckled over the feast awaiting
              them: the chances for graft at Columbus had been a piker's chance
              compared with those which the mastery of the federal government would
              offer him. Warren Harding wanted to be helpful. Well, he would have a
              chance to be.
              [2]

              The public at large, however, knew little and cared less about what
              was happening behind the scenes. Their eyes—when they bothered to look
              at all—were upon the well lighted stage where the Harding
              Administration was playing a drama of discreet and seemly statesmanship.

              Peace with Germany, so long deferred was made by a resolution signed
              by the President on July 2, 1921. The Government of the United States
              was put upon a unified budget basis for the first time in history by
              the passage of the Budget Act of 1921, and Charles G. Dawes, becoming
              Director of the Budget, entranced the newspaper-reading public with
              his picturesque language, his underslung pipe, and his broom-waving
              histrionics when he harangued the bureau chiefs on behalf of business
              efficiency. Immigration was restricted, being put upon a quota basis,
              to the satisfaction of labor and the relief of those who felt that the
              amount of melting being done in the melting-pot was disappointingly
              small. Congress raised the tariff, as all good Republican Congresses
              should. Secretary Mellon pleased the financial powers of the country
              by arguing for the lowering of the high surtaxes upon large incomes;
              and although an obstreperous Farm Bloc joined with the Democrats to
              keep the maximum surtax at 50 per cent, Wall Street at least felt that
              the Administration's heart was in the right place. Every foe of union
              labor was sure of this when Attorney-General Daugherty confronted the
              striking railway shopmen with an injunction worthy of Mitchell Palmer
              himself. In January, 1923, an agreement for the funding of the British
              war debt to the United States was made in Washington; it was shortly
              ratified by the Senate. The outstanding achievement of the Harding
              Administration, however, was undoubtedly the Washington Conference for
              the Limitation of Armaments--or, as the newspapers insisted upon
              calling it, the "Arms Parley."

              Since the war the major powers of the world had begun once more their
              race for supremacy in armament. England, the United States, and Japan
              were all building ships for dear life. The rivalry between them was
              rendered acute by the growing tension in the Pacific. During the war
              Japan had seized her golden opportunity for the expansion of her
              commercial empire: her rivals being very much occupied elsewhere, she
              had begun to regard China as her special sphere of interest and to
              treat it as a sort of protectorate where her commerce would have prior
              rights to that of other nations. Her hand was strengthened by an
              alliance with England. When Charles Evans Hughes became Secretary of
              State and began to stand up for American rights in the Orient,
              applying once more the traditional American policy of the Open Door,
              it was soon apparent that the situation was ticklish. Japan wanted her
              own way; the Americans opposed it; and there lay the Philippines,
              apparently right under Japan's thumb if trouble should break out! All
              three powers, Britain, Japan, and the United States, would be the
              gainers by an amicable agreement about the points under dispute in the
              Pacific, by the substitution of a three-cornered agreement for the
              Japanese-British alliance, and by an arrangement for the limitation of
              fleets. Senator Borah proposed an international conference. Harding
              and Hughes took up his suggestion, the conference was called, and on
              November 12, 1921—the day following the solemn burial of America's
              Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery-the delegates assembled in
              Washington.

              President Harding opened the first session with a cordial if profuse
              speech of welcome, and true to his policy of leaving difficult
              problems to be solved by the "best minds," left Secretary Hughes and
              his associates to do the actual negotiating. In this case his
              hands-off policy worked well. Hughes not only had a brilliant mind, he
              had a definite program and a masterly grasp of the complicated issues
              at stake. President Harding had hardly walked out of Memorial
              Continental Hall when the Secretary of State, installed as chairman of
              the conference, began what seemed at first only the perfunctory
              address of greeting—and then, to the amazement of the delegates
              assembled about the long conference tables, came out with a definite
              and detailed program: a ten-year naval holiday, during which no
              capital ships should be built; the abandonment of all
              capital-shipbuilding plans, either actual or projected; the scrapping,
              by the three nations, of almost two million tons of ships built or
              building; and the limitation of replacement according to a 5-5-3
              ratio: the American and British navies to be kept at parity and the
              Japanese at three-fifths of the size of each.

              "With the acceptance of this plan," concluded Secretary Hughes amid a
              breathless silence, "the burden of meeting the demands of competition
              in naval armament will be lifted. Enormous sums will be released to
              aid the progress of civilization. At the same time the proper demands
              of national defense will be adequately met and the nations will have
              ample opportunity during the naval holiday of ten years to consider
              their future course. Preparation for offensive naval war will stop now."

              The effect of this direct and specific proposal was prodigious. At the
              proposal of a naval holiday William Jennings Bryan, sitting among the
              newspaper men, expressed his enthusiasm with a yell of delight. At the
              conclusion of Hughes's speech the delegates broke into prolonged
              applause. It was echoed by the country and by the press of the world.
              People's imaginations were so stirred by the boldness and
              effectiveness of the Hughes plan that the success of the conference
              became almost inevitable.

              After three months of negotiation the delegates of Japan, Great
              Britain, and the United States had agreed upon a treaty which followed
              the general lines of the Hughes program; had joined with the French in
              an agreement to respect one another's insular possessions in the
              Pacific, and to settle all disagreements by conciliatory negotiations;
              had prepared the way for the withdrawal of Japan from Shantung and
              Siberia; and had agreed to respect the principle of the open door in
              China. The treaties were duly ratified by the Senate. The immediate
              causes of friction in the Pacific were removed; and although cynics
              might point out that competition in cruisers and submarines was little
              abated and that battleships were almost obsolete anyhow, the Naval
              Treaty at least lessened the burden of competition, as Secretary
              Hughes had predicted, and in addition set a precedent of profound
              importance. The armaments which a nation built were now definitely
              recognized as being a matter of international concern, subject to
              international agreement.

              Outwardly, then,things seemed to be going well for Warren Harding. He
              was personally popular; his friendly attitude toward business
              satisfied the conservative temper of the country; his Secretary of the
              Treasury was being referred to, wherever two or three bankers or
              industrialists gathered together, as the "greatest since Alexander
              Hamilton"; his Secretary of Commerce, Herbert Hoover, was aiding trade
              as efficiently as he had aided the Belgians; and even discouraged
              idealists had to admit that the Washington Conference had been no mean
              achievement. Though there were rumors of graft and waste and
              mismanagement in some departments of the Government, and the director
              of the Veterans' Bureau had had to leave his office in disgrace, and
              there was noisy criticism in Congress of certain leases Of oil lands
              to Messrs. Doheny and Sinclair, these things attracted only a mild
              public interest. When Harding left in the early summer of 1923 for a
              visit to Alaska, few people realized that anything was radically wrong
              with his administration. When, on his way home, he fell ill with what
              appeared to be ptomaine poisoning, and on his arrival at Sari
              Francisco his illness went into pneumonia, the country watched the
              daily headlines with affectionate concern. And when, just as the
              danger appeared to have been averted, he died suddenly—on August 2,
              1923——of what his physicians took to be a stroke of apoplexy, the
              whole nation was plunged into deep—and genuine grief.

              The President's body was placed upon a special train, which proceeded
              across the country at the best possible speed to Washington. All along
              the route, thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children were
              gathered to see it slip by. Cowboys on the Western hills dismounted
              and stood uncovered as the train passed. In the cities the throngs of
              mourners were so dense that the engineer had to reduce his speed and
              the train fell hours behind schedule. "It is believed," wrote a
              reporter for the New York Times, "to be the most remarkable
              demonstration in American history of affection, respect, and reverence
              for the dead." When Warren Harding's body, after lying in state at
              Washington, was taken to Marion for burial, his successor proclaimed a
              day of public mourning, business houses were closed, memorial services
              were held from one end of the country to the other, flags hung at half
              mast, and buildings were draped in black.

              The innumerable speeches made that day expressed no merely perfunctory
              sentiments; everywhere people felt that a great-hearted man, bowed
              down with his labors in their behalf, had died a martyr to the service
              of his country. The dead President was called "a majestic figure who
              stood out like a rock of consistency"; it was said that "his vision
              was always on the spiritual"; and Bishop Manning of New York, speaking
              at a memorial service in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, seemed
              to be giving the fallen hero no more than his due when he cried, "If I
              could write one sentence upon his monument it would be this, 'He
              taught us the power of brotherliness.' It is the greatest lesson that
              any man can teach us. It is the spirit of the Christian religion. In
              the spirit of brotherliness and kindness we can solve all the problems
              that confront us. . . . May God ever give to our country leaders as
              faithful, as wise, as noble in spirit, as the one whom we now mourn."

              But as it happens, there are some problems—at least for a President of
              the United States—that the spirit of brotherliness and kindness will
              not alone solve. The problem, for example, of what to do when those to
              whom you have been all too brotherly have enmeshed your administration
              in graft, and you know that the scandal cannot long be concealed, and
              you feel your whole life-work toppling into disgrace. That was the
              problem which had killed Warren Harding.

              A rumor that the President committed suicide by taking poison later
              gained wide currency through the publication of Samuel Hopkins Adams's
              Revelry, a novel largely based on the facts of the Harding
              Administration. Gaston B. Means, a Department of justice detective and
              a member of the gang which revolved about Daugherty, implied only too
              clearly in The Strange Death of President Harding that the President
              was poisoned by his wife, with the connivance of Doctor Sawyer. The
              motive, according to Means, was a double one: Mrs. Harding had found
              out about Nan Britton and the illegitimate daughter and was consumed
              with a bitter and almost insane jealousy; and she had learned enough
              about the machinations of Harding's friends and the power that they
              had over him to feel that only death could save him from obloquy. Both
              the suicide theory and the Means story are very plausible. The
              ptomaine poisoning came, it was said, from eating crab meat on the
              presidential boat on the return from Alaska, but the list of supplies
              in the steward's pantry contained no crab meat and no one else in the
              presidential party was taken ill; furthermore, the fatal "stroke of
              apoplexy" occurred when the President was recovering from pneumonia,
              Mrs. Harding was apparently alone with him at the time, and the
              verdict of the physicians, not being based upon an autopsy, was hardly
              more than an expression of opinion. Yet it is not necessary to accept
              any such melodramatic version of the tragedy to acknowledge that
              Harding died a victim of the predicament in which he was caught. He
              knew too much of what had been going on in his administration to be
              able to face the future. On the Alaskan trip, he was clearly in a
              state of tragic fear; according to William Allen White, "he kept
              asking Secretary Hoover and the more trusted reporters who surrounded
              him what a President should do whose friends had betrayed him."
              Whatever killed him-poison or heart failure-did so the more easily
              because he had lost the will to live.

              Of all this, of course, the country as a whole guessed nothing at the
              time. Their friend and President was dead, they mourned his death, and
              they applauded the plans of the Harding Memorial Association to raise
              a great monument in his honor. It was only afterward that the truth
              came out, piece by piece.
              [3]

              The martyred President had not been long in his grave when the
              peculiar circumstances under which the Naval Oil Reserves at Teapot
              Dome and Elk Hills had been leased began to be unearthed by the Senate
              Committee on Public Lands, and there was little by little disclosed
              what was perhaps the gravest and most far-reaching scandal of the
              Harding Administration. The facts of the case, as they were ultimately
              established, were, briefly, as follows:

              Since 1909 three tracts of oil-bearing government land had been
              legally set aside for the future hypothetical needs of the United
              States navy—as a sort of insurance policy against a possible shortage
              of oil in time of emergency. They were Naval Reserve No. 1 at Elk
              Hills, California; No. 2, at Buena Vista, California; and No. 3, at
              Teapot Dome, Wyoming. As time went on, it became apparent that the oil
              under these lands might be in danger of being drawn off by neighboring
              wells, the flow of oil under the earth being such that if you drill a
              well you are likely to bring up not only the oil from under your own
              land, but also that from under your neighbor's land. As to the extent
              of this danger to these particular properties there was wide
              disagreement; but when gushers were actually opened up right on the
              threshold of the Elk Hills Reserve, Congress took action. In 1920 it
              gave the Secretary of the Navy almost unlimited power to meet as he
              saw fit the problem of conserving the Reserves. Clearly there were at
              least two possible courses of action open to him. He might arrange to
              have offset wells drilled along the edge of the Reserves to neutralize
              the drainage, or he might lease the Reserves to private operators on
              condition that they store an equitable amount of the oil—or of fuel
              oil—for the future requirements of the national defense. Secretary
              Daniels preferred to have offset wells drilled.

              But when Albert B. Fall became Secretary of the Interior under
              President Harding, he decided otherwise. During 1921—on the eve of the
              Conference for the Limitation of Armaments—certain high officers in
              the navy were sufficiently nervous about possible trouble with Japan
              to declare that the navy must at once have fuel oil storage depots
              built and filled and ready for use at Pearl Harbor and other strategic
              points. This idea suited Mr. Fall perfectly. He had come into office
              as the ally of certain big oil interests, and being a politician
              without illusions, he saw a chance to do them a favor. He would lease
              the reserves in their entirety to private operators, and meet the
              needs of the navy by using the royalty oil which these operators paid
              the Government for the purpose of buying fuel oil tanks and filling
              them with fuel oil. To be sure, the Secretary of the Navy alone had
              power to lease the Reserves, and Fall was not the Secretary of the
              Navy; but that was not an insuperable difficulty.

              Less than three months after President Harding took office, he signed
              an Executive Order transferring the Reserves from the custody of the
              Secretary of the Navy to that of the Secretary of the Interior. On
              April 7, 1922, Fall secretly and without competitive bidding leased
              Reserve No. 3, the Teapot Dome Reserve, to Harry F. Sinclair's Mammoth
              Oil Company. On December 11, 1922, he secretly and without competitive
              bidding leased Reserve No. 1, the Elk Hills Reserve, to Edward F.
              Doherty's Pan-American Company. It has been argued that these leases
              were fair to the Government and that no undue profits would have
              accrued to the lessees if the contracts had been allowed to stand. It
              has been argued that the necessity for keeping secret what were
              thought of as military arrangements was sufficient excuse for the
              absence of competitive bidding and the complete absence of publicity.
              But it was later discovered that Fall had received from Sinclair some
              $260,000 in Liberty bonds, and that Fall had been "lent" by
              Doheny—without interest and without security—$100,000 in cash.

              After a long series of Senate investigations, governmental lawsuits,
              and criminal trials which dragged out through the rest of the decade,
              the Doheny lease was voided by the Supreme Court as "Illegal and
              fraudulent," the Sinclair lease was also voided, and Secretary Fall
              was found guilty of accepting a bribe from Doheny and sentenced to a
              year in prison. Secretary of the Navy Denby-who had amiably approved
              the transfer of the Reserves from his charge to that of Fall—was
              driven from office by public criticism. Paradoxically, both Doheny and
              Sinclair were acquitted. But Sinclair had to serve a double term in
              prison in 1929: first, for contempt of the Senate in refusing to
              answer questions put to him by the Committee on Public Lands, and
              second, for contempt of court in having the jury at his first trial
              shadowed by Burns detectives. (One of the jurors declared that a man
              had approached him with the suggestion that if he voted right he would
              have an automobile "as long as this block.")

              Such are the bare facts of the oil lease transactions. But they are
              only a part of the story. For after the Senate Committee's first
              important disclosures, early in 1924, and President Coolidge's
              appointment of the useful Mr. Owen Roberts and the ornamental
              Ex-Senator Atlee Pomerene as a bi-partisan team of Government
              prosecutors to take whatever legal action might be called for on
              behalf of the Government, Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene discovered that
              certain bonds transferred by Sinclair to Fall had come from the
              exchequer of a hitherto unheard-of concern called the Continental
              Trading Company, Ltd., of Canada. And the history of the Continental
              Trading Company, Ltd., as it was gradually dragged to light, was not
              only highly sensational but highly illuminating as a case-study in
              current American business ethics. This is what had happened:

              On the 17th of November, 1921—a few months before the Fall-Sinclair
              contract was made—a little group of men gathered in a room at the
              Hotel Vanderbilt in New York for a business session. They included
              Col. E. A. Humphreys, the owner of the rich Mexia oil field; Harry M.
              Blackmer of the Midwest Oil Company; James E. O'Neil of the Prairie
              Oil Company; Colonel Robert W. Stewart, chairman of the board of the
              Standard Oil Company of Indiana; and Harry F. Sinclair, head of the
              Sinclair Consolidated Oil Company. At that meeting Colonel Humphreys
              agreed to sell 33,333,333 barrels of oil from his oil field at $1.50 a
              barrel. But he discovered that he was not, as he had supposed, to sell
              this oil directly to the companies represented by the other men
              present. He was asked to sell it to a concern of which he had never
              heard, a concern which had only just been incorporated—the Continental
              Trading Company, Ltd. The contract of sale was guaranteed on behalf of
              the mysterious Continental Company by Sinclair and O'Neil. And the
              Continental straightway resold the oil to Sinclair's and O'Neil's
              companies, not at $1.50 a barrel, but at $1.75 a barrel——thereby
              diverting to the coffers of the Continental a nice profit of
              twenty-five cents a barrel which might otherwise have gone to the
              other companies whose executives were gathered together. A profit, it
              might be added, which in the course of time should amount to over
              eight million dollars.

              As a matter of fact, it never amounted to as much as that. For after a
              year or more the Senate became unduly inquisitive and it was thought
              best to wind up the affairs of the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.,
              and destroy its records. But before this was done, the profit of that
              little deal pulled off at the Hotel Vanderbilt had piled up to more
              than three millions.

              With these millions, as they rolled in, President Osler, the
              distinguished Canadian attorney who headed the Continental, purchased
              Liberty bonds. And the bulk of these bonds (after taking out a
              2-per-cent share for himself) he turned over, in packages, to four of
              the gentlemen who had sat in on the conference at the Vanderbilt, as
              follows:

              To Harry M. Blackmer, approximately $763,000.
              To James E. O'Neil, approximately $800,000.
              To Colonel Robert W. Stewart, approximately $759,000.
              Harry F. Sinclair, approximately $757,000.

              And did these gentlemen at once report to their directors and
              stockholders the receipt of the bonds and put them into the corporate
              treasuries? They did not.

              Blackmer, according to the subsequent (very subsequent) testimony of
              his counsel, put his share in a safety deposit box at the Equitable
              Trust Company in New York, where in 1928 it still remained.

              O'Neil turned over his share to his company, but not until May, 1925.

              Stewart handed his share to an employee of the Standard oil Company of
              Indiana to be held in trust for the company in the vaults of the
              company, but never told any other associates of this except one member
              of the company's legal staff, and never disclosed to his directors
              what he had done until 1928, when he finally turned over the bonds to
              them. The trust agreement was written in pencil.

              Sinclair, according to his own testimony, did not take the directors
              or officers of his company into his confidence until 1928, and kept
              his share of the bonds in a vault in his home. He did not keep all of
              them there very long, however, or the brave history of the Continental
              Trading Company, Ltd., might never have come to light. A goodly
              portion of them (as we have already seen) he turned over to Fall.
              Another goodly portion, amounting to $185,000, he "loaned" (in
              addition to an outright gift Of $75,000), to the Republican National
              Committee, later getting back $100,000 of it The "loan" was made to
              Will H. Hays, who had been chairman of the Republican National
              Committee during the Harding-Cox campaign of 1920, had later been
              appointed Postmaster-General by President Harding, and had finally
              resigned to become supervisor of morals for the motion-picture
              industry. Mr. Hays was czar of the movies by the time Sinclair handed
              him the bonds, but being a conscientious man, he was trying to get the
              1920 Republican campaign debt paid off. To this end he attempted to
              use the Sinclair "loan" in a very interesting way. He and his
              lieutenants approached a number of wealthy men, potential donors to
              the cause, and told them that if they would contribute to meet the
              deficit they might have Sinclair bonds to the amount of their
              contributions. How long they might keep the bonds was not made
              clear--at least in Hays's testimony before the Senate Committee on
              Public Lands. This method of concealing an enormous Sinclair
              contribution was euphemistically called, by the moral supervisor of
              the movies, "using the bonds in efforts to raise money for the deficit."
              [4]

              So much for our little lesson in governmental practice and in the
              fiduciary duties of business executives in behalf of their
              stockholders. Now let us turn to the lighter side of the oil scandals.
              Lighter, that is, for those who were in no way implicated. There is a
              certain grim humor in the twistings and turnings of unwilling
              witnesses under the implacable cross-examination of Senator Walsh of
              Montana, without whose resourceful work the truth might never have
              been run to earth. Some of the scenes in the slowly-unfolding drama of
              the investigations, some of the sojourns of interested parties on
              foreign shores, some of the odd tricks of memory revealed, are not
              without an element of entertainment. Let us go back over the record of
              that long investigation and study a few of them, item by item.

              Item One. Who Loaned Fall the Money?

              In the autumn of 1923—not long after Harding's lamented death—Senator
              Walsh's committee learned of a recent sudden rise to affluence on the
              part of Secretary Fall. For some time previously Fall had been in
              financial straits; he had not even paid his local taxes for several
              years. But now all was changed. Mr. Fall had even purchased additional
              land near his New Mexican ranch, and in this purchase had used a
              considerable number of hundred-dollar bills. The Walsh committee at
              once became bloodhounds on the scent: hundred-dollar bills are as
              exciting to investigators as refusals to testify or refusals to waive
              immunity. From whom had Fall been receiving money? Fall wrote the
              committee a long letter, denying absolutely that he had ever received
              a dollar from Mr. Doheny or Mr. Sinclair, and in tones of outraged
              innocence explained that he had received a loan of $100,000 from
              Edward B. McLean of Washington, a millionaire newspaper-owner whose
              ample hospitality Harding and his associates had often enjoyed.

              Mr. McLean was in Palm Beach and unable to come to Washington to
              testify about this loan. The committee might perhaps have been
              expected to let the matter go at that. But they did not. Mr. McLean
              was wanted—and it began to appear that he was extremely unwilling to
              be examined. He and his friends engaged in a voluminous correspondence
              by coded telegrams with his aides in Washington, discussing the
              progress of affairs in messages such as

              Haxpw sent over buy bonka and householder bonka sultry tkvouep
              prozoics sepic bepelt goal hocusing this pouted proponent

              Finally Senator Walsh all too obligingly journeyed to Palm Beach to
              take McLean's testimony there. Yes, McLean had made a loan to Fall.
              But he had made it in the form of three checks. Secretary Fall had
              shortly returned the checks; they had not even passed through the
              banks, and there was no record whatever of the transaction.

              Clearly this brief and unusual financial transaction threw little
              light on the prosperity of the Ex-Secretary of the Interior or his use
              of cash in large denominations. Another explanation was necessary.
              Whereupon—on January 24, 1924—the lessee of Naval Reserve No. 1,
              Edward L. Doheny, took the stand. He, too, had loaned $100,000 to
              Fall. The money had been carried from New York to Washington in a
              satchel. But the loan had nothing to do with any lease of oil-bearing
              land. It was a bona fide loan made to accommodate an old friend. The
              elderly oil magnate drew a touching picture of his long years of
              comradeship with Fall. Was $100,000 a rather large sum to be loaned
              this way in cash? Why, no, it was "just a bagatelle" to him. It was
              not at all unusual for him "to make a remittance that way." Was there
              a note given for the loan? Yes; Doheny would search for it. Later he
              produced it——or rather, a fragment of it. The signature was missing.
              Fearing that he might die and that Fall might be unduly pressed for
              payment by cold-blooded executors, Doheny had torn the note in half
              and given the part with the signature of Mrs. Doheny—and she had
              mislaid it. The explanation was perfect—though some years later the
              Supreme Court seemed to regard it with skepticism.

              Item Two. Six or Eight Cows

              Just before the generous Doheny took the stand, the newspapers had
              been treated to a first-class front-page story. Archie Roosevelt, so
              of the great T.R. and brother of the lesser T.R. (who was Harding's
              Assistant Secretary of Navy), had come before the Walsh Committee as a
              volunteer witness. Archie Roosevelt was an officer in one of the
              Sinclair companies, and he had something to get off his mind. His
              brother had urged him to tell all. He (Archie) had been told by one
              G.D. Walberg, confidential secretary to Sinclair, that Sinclair had
              paid $68,000 to the manager of Fall's ranch, a circumstance which, in
              view of the relentless way in which Senator Walsh was running down
              evidence, apparently had caused Wahlberg some uneasiness. Furthermore,
              Sinclair had sailed for Europe—not only had sailed, but had done so
              very quietly, without letting his name appear on the passenger list.
              The committee called Wahlberg. This gentleman was even more uneasy at
              the committee table than he had been in talking to Archie Roosevelt,
              but he had a charming explanation for what he was said to have said.
              Roosevelt must have misunderstood him. He had said nothing about
              $68,000. What he must have said was that Sinclair had sent "six or
              eight cows" to Fall's ranch. (Which was true, after a manner of
              speaking: Sinclair had indeed made a present of live stock to Fall;
              not precisely "six or eight cows," but a horse, six hogs, a bull, and
              six heifers.) You see how the misunderstanding arose? You see how much
              "sixty-eight thous" sounds like "six or eight cows"?

              The Committee on Public Lands did not seem to see. They lifted a
              collective eyebrow. So a little later Wahlberg tried again. This time
              his explanation was even more delightful. He had been consulting his
              memory, and had decided that what he must actually have said when he
              sounded as if he were talking about $68,000 going to the manager of
              the Fall ranch, or the Fall farm, was that $68,000 was going to the
              manager of the "horse farm"—by which he had meant the trainer at
              Sinclair's celebrated Rancocas Stables. This $68,000 represented the
              salary of Hildreth, the trainer, together with his share of the
              winnings of Zev and other Sinclair horses.

              "Horse farm"—there seemed to be something less than idiomatic about
              the phrase. The collective eyebrow was not lowered.

              Item Three. The Silences of Colonel Stewart—and Others

              The Senate committee was hot on the trail—or rather on two trails. But
              then and thereafter the various gentlemen who could give it the
              greatest assistance in following these trails to the end revealed a
              strange reluctance to talk and a strange condition of memory when they
              did talk. Secretary Fall was declared by his physicians to be a "very
              sick man" who ought not to be pressed to testify. When he finally did
              testify, he refused to answer questions which might "tend to
              incriminate" him. Sinclair, as Archie Roosevelt had told the
              committee, had gone to Europe; after he returned, he too refused to
              answer questions; it was this refusal which led to his conviction for
              contempt. After his acquittal on the graver charge of conspiracy to
              defraud the government he at last spoke out; he admitted that he had
              turned over the bonds to Fall, but insisted that they were given in
              payment for a one-third interest in Fall's ranching and cattle business.

              Blackmer had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. O'Neil
              had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. Osler of the
              Continental Trading Company was somewhere at the ends of the earth.
              And as for Colonel Stewart, only the insistence of John D.
              Rockefeller, Jr., induced him to come from Cuba to face the committee.
              When he did face it, early in 1928, he testified as follows: "I did
              not personally receive any of these bonds. I did not make one dollar
              out of the transaction." Less than two months later, after Sinclair's
              acquittal had somewhat reduced the tension, he admitted that over
              three-quarters of a million dollars' worth of these bonds had been
              delivered to him, and that he had not told the directors of his
              company about them for several years.

              Item Four. The Testimony of Mr. Hays

              In 1924 Will H. Hays, preceptor of motion-picture morality, was called
              before the Senate committee. He was asked how much money Sinclair had
              contributed to the Republican Party. Seventy-five thousand dollars, he
              said.

              In 1928, after the history of the Continental bonds had become
              somewhat clearer, Mr. Hays was asked to face the committee again. He
              told them the full story of Sinclair's "loan" of $185,000 in addition
              to his gift. Why had he not told this before? He had not been "asked
              about any bonds."

              Item Five. The Reticence of Mr. Mellon

              A few days after Mr. Hays gave his second and improved version of the
              Sinclair contributions, the cashier of Charles Pratt & Company was
              called before the committee to testify about $50,000 worth of
              Sinclair-Continental Liberty bonds which had been left by Hays with
              the late John T. Pratt, to be held agains a contribution of the same
              amount—after the ingenious Hays plan—by Mr. Pratt to the Republican
              Committee. The cashier produced a card on which Mr. Pratt had noted
              the disposal of the bonds and the payment of his contribution. And in
              the corner of this card was a minute notation in pencil, as follows:
              $50,000
              Andy Weeks
              DuPont
              Butler

              Senator Walsh examined the card.

              Senator Walsh: I can make out "Weeks," and I can make out "DuPont,"
              and I can make out "Butler," but what is this other name? It looks
              like Andy.

              The Cashier (using a magnifying glass): It's Weeks, DuPont, Butler,
              and the other name must be Candy. . . . Yes, it might be Andy.

              Senator Nye: And who is Andy?

              The Cashier: I have no idea who Andy can be. I can think of no one
              known as Andy.

              There was a roar from the crowd in the room. Everybody knew who Andy
              must be. Senator WAlsh dispatched a note to Andrew W. Mellon,
              Secretary of the Treasury, to ask him if he could explain the
              notation. This Mr. Mellon obligingly did without delay.

              Late in 1923, Mr. Mellon explained—at just about the time when the
              Teapot Dome investigation was getting under way—Hays had sent him some
              bonds. "When Mr. Hays called shortly thereafter, he told me that he
              had received the bonds from Mr. Sinclair and suggested that I hold the
              bonds and contribute an equal amount to the fund. This I declined to do."

              The Secretary had acted with strict integrity. He had sent the bonds
              back, and instead of following Hays's suggestion he had made an
              outright contribution of $50,000. He added that he had "had no
              knowledge of what has developed since, that is, of the Teapot Dome
              lease matter."

              It is perhaps worth noting, however, that this testimony was given in
              1928. For more than three years not only the Senate committee, but
              Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene, the public attorneys appointed by
              President Coolidge to prosecute the government suits, had been trying
              to discover just what had become of the Continental bonds, and during
              all that time the Secretary of the Treasury was aware that in 1923 he
              had been offered Liberty bonds which came from Sinclair. He said
              nothing until that little card turned up with Andy (or possibly Candy)
              penciled on it. A small matter, perhaps; but surely it revealed the
              Secretary as a paragon of reticence when his testimony might cast
              discredit on the money-raising methods of his party.

              Thus comes to an end—as of this writing, at least—the remarkable story
              of Teapot Dome and Elk Hills and the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.
              The Executive Order transferring the leases, which may be said to have
              begun it all, was promulgated in June, 1921, when Harding was new in
              office, and the Stillman divorce trial was impending, and Dempsey was
              preparing to meet Carpentier, and young Charles Lindbergh had not yet
              taken his first ride in an airplane. By the time Sinclair and Stewart
              had told their stories and Hays had revised himself and Secretary
              Mellon had overcome his reticence, Lindbergh had flown to Europe and
              Herbert Hoover was corralling delegates for the Republican nomination;
              by the time Harry Sinclair emerged from his unwelcome term of service
              as apothecary in the Washington jail, the bull market had come down in
              ruin and the Post-war Decade was dying. Secretary Fall's term as
              guardian of the national resources for the Harding Administration had
              been brief, but the aftermath had been as long and harrowing as it was
              instructive.

              Oh yes—there is one more thing to add. The oil: what became of the oil
              that started it all, the oil that the patriots of the Navy Department
              had been so anxious to have immediately available in case of trouble
              in the Pacific? There had been a good deal of excitement about bonds
              and hundred-thousand-dollar loans, but everybody seemed to have
              forgotten about that oil. Production in the properties leased to
              Sinclair and Doheny was stopped; but you may recall that the danger of
              drainage into neighboring wells went right on producing, and it is
              said that part of the oil from them—including, in all probability,
              some drawn from within the Reserves—was sold to the Japanese Government!
              [5]

              The oil cases were the aristocrats among the scandals of the Harding
              Administration, but there were other scandals juicier and more
              reeking. Let us hold our noses for a moment and examine a few of them
              briefly.

              There was, for example, the almost incredible extravagance and
              corruption of the Veterans' Bureau under Charles R. Forbes, a
              buccaneer of fortune (and one-time deserter from the army) whom
              Harding had fallen in with on a visit to Hawaii. Harding was so taken
              with Forbes that in 1921 he put him in charge of the Government's work
              for those disabled war heroes in whose behalf every public man
              considered it his duty to shed an appreciative tear. Forbes held
              office for less than two years, and during that time it was estimated
              that over two hundred million dollars went astray in graft and
              flagrant waste on the part of his Bureau. Forbes went on a notorious
              junket through the country, supposedly selecting hospital sites which
              in reality had already been chosen. His Bureau let contracts for
              veterans' hospitals almost without regard for price; for instance, a
              contract for a hospital at Northampton was let to a firm which asked
              some thirty thousand dollars more than the lowest bidder. It was
              charged that Forbes had an arrangement with the builders of some
              hospitals whereby he was to pocket a third of the profits.
              Preposterous purchases of hospital supplies were made: the Veterans'
              Bureau bought $70,000 worth of floor wax and floor cleaner, for
              instance—enough, it was said, to last a hundred years—and for the
              cleaner it paid 98 cents a gallon, although expert testimony later
              brought out the fact that it was worth less than 4 cents a gallon
              exclusive of the water which it contained. Quantities of surplus goods
              were sold with the same easy disregard for price: 84,000 brand-new
              sheets which had cost $1.37 each were sold at 26 or 27 cents apiece,
              although at that very moment the Bureau was purchasing 25,000 new ones
              at $1.03 apiece. "At one time," reported Bruce Bliven, "sheets just
              bought were actually going in at one end of the warehouse [at
              Perryville, Maryland] as the ones just sold were going out the other,
              and some of them by mistake went straight in and out again." More than
              75,000 towels which had cost 19 cents each were sold for 3 3/8 cents
              each. These few facts are enough to show with what generous abandon
              Forbes spent the money appropriated to care for the defenders of the
              Republic. Forbes went to Leavenworth in 1926 for fraud.

              There was rampant graft in the office of the Allen Property Custodian
              as well. Gaston B. Means has charged that attorneys who came to
              Washington to file claims for the return of properties taken over from
              Germans during the war were advised to consult a Boston lawyer named
              Thurston, that Thurston would charge them a big fee for his services,
              the claim would be allowed, and the fee would be split with those in
              authority. Be that as it may, the evidence brought out in the American
              Metal Company case was sufficient to indicate the sort of transaction
              which was permitted to take place.

              The American Metal Company was an internationally owned concern 49 per
              cent of whose stock had been taken over by the Allen Property
              Custodian during the war on the ground that it belonged to Germans.
              This stock had been sold for $6,000,000. In 1921 a certain Richard
              Merton appeared at the Custodian's office with the claim that this 49
              per cent had not been German, but Swiss, and that the Swiss owners,
              whom he represented, should be reimbursed. The claim was allowed after
              Merton had paid $441,000 in Liberty bonds to John T. King, Republican
              National Committeeman from Connecticut, for "services" which consisted
              of introducing him to Colonel T. W. Miller, the Custodian, and to Jess
              Smith, Attorney-General Daugherty's man Friday. It was brought out at
              Miller's trial that at least $200,000 of this $441,000 was paid over
              to Jess Smith "for expediting the claim through his acquaintance in
              Washington"; that Mal S. Daugherty, brother of the Attorney-General,
              sold at least $40,000 worth of Merton Liberty bonds and shortly
              thereafter deposited $49,165 to his brother's account; and that
              Colonel Miller also got a share of the money. Miller was convicted in
              1927 of conspiracy to defraud the Government of his unbiased services
              and was sentenced to eighteen Months in prison. Daugherty was also
              brought to trial, but got off. After two juries had been unable to
              agree as to his guilt or innocence, the indictment against him was
              dismissed-but not before it had been brought out that in 1925 this
              former chief legal officer of the Government had gone to his brother's
              bank at Washington Court House, Ohio, and had taken out and burned the
              ledger sheets covering his own account there, and his brother's
              account, and another account known as "Jesse Smith Extra."

              It was during the grand jury investigation which preceded the American
              Metal Company case that Harding's Attorney-General wrote the
              remarkable statement which appears at the head of this chapter. During
              his trial Daugherty failed to take the stand in his own defense, and
              his attorney, Max Steuer, later explained this failure in another
              equally remarkable statement:

              "It was not anything connected with this case which impelled him to
              refrain from so doing. . . . He feared . . . that Mr. Buckner would
              cross-examine him about matters political that would not involve Mr.
              Daugherty, concerning which he knew and as to which he would never
              make disclosure. . . . If the jury knew the real reason for destroying
              the ledger sheets they would commend rather than condemn Mr.
              Daugherty, but he insisted on silence."

              Could there be a more deliberate implication that Harding's
              Attorney-General could not tell the truth for fear of blackening the
              reputation of his dead chief? Call Daugherty's silence, if you wish,
              the silence of loyalty, or call those statements an effort to hide
              behind the dead President; in either case the Harding Administration
              appears in a strange light.

              Charges still more damaging were boldly made by Gaston B. Means in
              1930. He stated that as a henchman of the Ohio gang he used to engage
              two adjoining rooms at a New York hotel for the collection of
              prohibition graft from bootleggers who were willing to pay for federal
              protection; that he would place a big goldfish-bowl in one of the
              rooms, on a table which he could see by peeping through the door from
              the next room; that each bootlegger would come at his appointed hour
              and minute and leave in the bowl huge amounts of cash in
              thousand-dollar or five-hundred-dollar bills; that as soon as the
              bootlegger left, Means would enter, count the money, and check off the
              contribution; and that in this way be collected a total of fully seven
              million dollars which he turned over to Jess Smith, the
              collector-in-chief for the Ohio Gang, who shared an apartment in
              Washington with Attorney-General Daugherty.

              Means further asserted that the swag from this and other forms of
              graft was kept hidden—many thousand dollars at a time—in a metal box
              buried in the back yard of the house which he occupied at 903
              Sixteenth Street in Washington; he described this house and yard as
              being protected with a high wire fence and fitted out with a code
              signal system and other secret devices such as would delight a gang of
              small boys playing pirate.

              Jess Smith committed suicide—at least that was the official verdict—in
              1923 in the apartment which he shared with Harry Daugherty. Means
              claimed that just before this tragedy took place, the gang had
              discovered that Smith, like the careful shopkeeper he had been before
              he was brought to Washington by Daugherty to occupy a desk in the
              Department of justice—had kept a record of all the cash which had
              passed through his hands, and that Smith, terrified at the thought of
              his guilt and his secret knowledge, had been playing with the idea of
              turning state's witness against the gang. According to Means, the gang
              thereupon decided that Smith must be disposed of. Although Smith was
              afraid of firearms, he was persuaded to purchase a revolver on One of
              his trips to Ohio. And the "suicide" which followed—so Means plainly
              indicated, as many others had already suspected—was no suicide at all.

              Finally, Means drew attention to the astonishing mortality among those
              who had been in on the secrets of the gang. Not only had Smith dropped
              out of the picture, but also John T. King (who had received the Merton
              bonds), C. F. Hately (a Department of justice agent), C. F. Cramer
              (attorney for the Veterans' Bureau), Thurston (the Boston lawyer who
              represented many clients before the Alien Property Custodian), T. B.
              Felder (attorney for the Harding group), President Harding, Mrs.
              Harding, and General Sawyer. They had all died—most of them
              suddenly—within a few years of the end of the Harding Administration.

              No matter how much or how little credence one may give to these latter
              charges and their implications, the proved evidence is enough to
              warrant the statement that the Harding Administration was responsible
              in its short two years and five months for more concentrated robbery
              and rascality than any other in the whole history of the Federal
              Government.
              [6]

              And how did the American people take these disclosures? Did they rise
              in wrath to punish the offenders?

              When the oil scandals were first spread across the front pages of the
              newspapers, early in 1924, there was a wave of excitement sufficient
              to force the resignations of Denby and Daugherty and to bring about
              the appointment by the new President, Calvin Coolidge, of special
              Government counsel to deal with the oil cases. But the harshest
              condemnation on the part of the press and the public was reserved, not
              for those who had defrauded the government, but for those who insisted
              on bringing the facts to light. Senator Walsh, who led the
              investigation of the oil scandals, and Senator Wheeler, who
              investigated the Department of justice, were called by the New York
              Tribune "the Montana scandalmongers." The New York Evening Post called
              them mud-gunners." The New York Times, despite its Democratic
              leanings, called them "assassins of character." In these and other
              newspapers throughout the country one read of the "Democratic
              lynching-bee" and "poison-tongued partisanship, pure malice, and
              twittering hysteria," and the inquiries were called "in plain words,
              contemptible and disgusting."

              Newspaper-readers echoed these amiable sentiments. Substantial
              business men solemnly informed one another that mistakes might have
              been made but that it was unpatriotic to condemn them and thus to
              "cast discredit on the Government," and that those who insisted on
              probing them to the bottom were "nothing better than Bolsheviki." One
              of the leading super-patriots of the land, Fred R. Marvin of the Key
              Men of America, said the whole oil scandal was the result of "a
              gigantic international conspiracy . . . of the internationalists, or
              shall we call them socialists and communists?" A commuter riding daily
              to New York from his suburb at this period observed that on the
              seven-o'clock train there was some indignation at the scandals, but
              that on the eight-o'clock train there was only indignation at their
              exposure and that on the nine-o'clock train they were not even
              mentioned. When, a few months later, John W. Davis, campaigning for
              the Presidency on the Democratic ticket, made political capital of the
              Harding scandals, the opinion of the majority seemed to be that what
              he said was in bad taste, and Davis was snowed under at the polls. The
              fact was that any relentless investigation of the scandals threatened
              to disturb, if only slightly, the status quo, and disturbance of the
              status quo was the last thing that the dominant business class or the
              country at large wanted.

              They had voted for normalcy and they still believed in it. The most
              that they required of the United States Government was that it should
              keep its hands off business (except to give it a lift now and then
              through the imposition of favorable tariffs and otherwise) and be
              otherwise unobtrusive. They did not look for bold and far-seeing
              statesman. ship at Washington; their idea of statesmanship on the part
              of the President was that he should let things alone, give industry
              and trade a chance to garner fat profits, and not "rock the boat."
              They realized that their selection of Harding had been something of a
              false start toward the realization of this modest ideal. Harding had
              been a little too hail-fellow-well-met, and his amiability had led him
              into associations which brought about unfortunate publicity, and
              unfortunate publicity had a tendency to rock the boat. But the basic
              principle remained sound: all the country needed now was a President
              who combined with unobtrusiveness and friendliness toward business an
              unimpeachable integrity and an indisposition to have his leg pulled;
              and this sort of President they now had. The inscrutable workings of
              Providence had placed in the office left vacant by Harding the precise
              embodiment of this revised presidential ideal. Calvin Coolidge was
              unobtrusive to the last degree; he would never try to steer the ship
              of state into unknown waters; and at the same time he was sufficiently
              honest and circumspect to prevent any unseemly revelry from taking
              place on the decks. Everything was, therefore, as it should be. Why
              weaken public confidence in Harding's party, and thus in Harding's
              successor, by going into the unfortunate episodes of the past? The
              best thing to do was to let bygones be bygones.

              As the years went by and the scandals which came to light grew in
              number and in scope, it began to appear that the "mistakes" of 1921-23
              had been larger than the friends of normalcy had supposed when they
              vented their spleen upon Senator Walsh. But the testimony, coming out
              intermittently as it did, was confusing and hard to piece together;
              plain citizens could not keep clear in their minds such complicated
              facts as those relating to the Continental bonds or the Daugherty
              bank-accounts; and the steady passage of time made the later
              investigations seem like a washing of very ancient dirty linen.
              Business was good, the Coolidge variety of normalcy was working to the
              satisfaction of the country, Coolidge was honest; why dwell
              unnecessarily on the past? Resentment at the scandals and resentment
              at the scandalmongers both gave way to a profound and untroubled
              apathy. When the full story of the Continental Trading Company deal
              became known, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., as a large stockholder in the
              Standard Oil of Indiana, waged war against Colonel Stewart and managed
              to put him out of the chairmanship of the company; but the business
              world as a whole seemed to find nothing wrong in Colonel Stewart's
              performance. The voice of John the B<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                My recollection of Jess Smith is that he was a crony,
                who was a frequent companion of Florence Harding, who
                he and Warren called 'Duchess' due to her overblown
                aristocratic airs. He also acted as a liaison for
                Warren's affairs, including sneaking women into the
                White House. I seem to remember that he was found dead
                in an apparent suicide, a bullet to his right temple
                and though he was left-handed, the AG refused to
                investigate, the insinuation being that he was killed
                by someone inside the administration. He had been
                selling off massive amounts of federal liquor to cover
                his debts from playing the market very badly.
                Thanks for sending the info, Ram.

                === message truncated ===