Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: DeLay to give up majority leader post

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
      Greg,
      I heard or read the quote attributed to Pelosi,but
      hopefully she and Reid are presenting a united front
      and delivering the same message, so they probably both
      said it.
      The Harding administration was was incredibly
      corrupt, but lasted only 4 years until Harding got a
      clue... I think it may have killed him.
      I actually saw testimony before a congressional
      sub-committee in 2004 that the Bush administration was
      took Iraqi forklifts found during the occupation,
      painted them and charged the US govt for new
      forklifts and funnelled the money back to the
      re-election fund. Don't know if it's true but somebody
      testified under oath that it was.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
        > The Harding administration was was incredibly
        > corrupt, but lasted only 4 years until Harding got a
        > clue... I think it may have killed him.

        A quick correction here. :-)

        Technically the Harding administration lasted only about 2 years
        between his inauguration and his death in 1922. But Coolidge kept most
        of his cabinet members until the end the remaining term.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
          > Technically the Harding administration lasted only about 2 years
          > between his inauguration and his death in 1922. But Coolidge kept most
          > of his cabinet members until the end the remaining term.

          And, of course, I actually meant 1923 not 1922.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
            Good point, Ram.. I had it in my head that he died in
            early 1924, but it was actually Aug. 2, 1923. Does
            anyone have an opinion on whether the discovery of the
            scandal hastened his demise?

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
              http://www.fvza.org/harding.html
              Famous Cases: Who Killed Warren Harding?

              Report Number: 2381*

              *As the actual file is missing, this case has been pieced together
              from interviews, memoirs and assorted public records.

              Date: August 2, 1923
              Location: San Francisco, California

              Of all the American presidents who died in office, none had more
              questions surrounding his demise than the 29th President, Warren
              Harding. After Harding expired in San Francisco on August 2, 1923, the
              cause of death was ascribed to food poisoning, a determination later
              changed to stroke. However, many people suspected murder, as Harding
              had his share of enemies. But the true story behind Harding's death
              may have gone to the grave with one dogged FVZA Agent.

              Background: Warren Harding came out of nowhere to seize the 1920
              Republican Presidential nomination and go on to win the election.
              Almost from the outset, his administration was plagued with scandal.
              Harding installed several of his old Ohio friends in important
              positions within his Cabinet, and his White House was known more for
              its poker games and evening burlesques than for any actual
              legislation. The mid-term congressional elections of 1922, in which
              Republican candidates got hammered, were a wake-up call for Harding,
              who said of his friends, "they're the ones that keep me walking the
              floors at night." In a June 1923 speech, Harding vowed to rid his
              administration of corruption. But before doing so, the President had
              to make a long-promised trip west with his wife Florence and his good
              friend Jess Smith, assistant to the U.S. Attorney General.

              Shortly before he left, the President received information that
              someone in the Justice Department was receiving kickbacks from Chicago
              gangster Al Capone's organization in order to protect Capone's
              monopoly on bootlegging (the United States had been "dry" since
              Prohibition began in 1919). Harding discussed the matter with Jess
              Smith, and both men endeavored to launch a full investigation when
              they returned to Washington.

              Harding's historic trip west was beset with problems. A ship taking
              the President up the Alaska coast ran aground, then the President
              became sick with food poisoning after dining on some local crabs. On
              July 30, 1923, as the ship set sail from Alaska to San Francisco for
              the last leg of the trip, President Harding was eager to get back to
              Washington and commence a new, corruption-free chapter in his presidency.

              Incident: On the night of August 1, Franklin Prevost, Director of the
              FVZA office in San Francisco, received an urgent call from Jess Smith
              asking him to meet the Presidential boat as it steamed into the
              harbor. Prevost, an ambitious, idealistic young man who had risen to
              become the youngest regional director in the Agency's history, boarded
              the boat on a typically foggy San Francisco evening and was informed
              by Smith that President Harding had been bitten by a vampire some time
              the previous evening. Smith told Prevost that one of the ship's hands,
              a Norwegian named Olaf Johans, had done it, and that he had leaped
              overboard after the attack. Prevost entered the Presidential Suite and
              found Harding in a vampiric coma, the telltale puncture wounds on his
              neck, his wife Florence at his bedside. A brief discussion arrived at
              the only reasonable course of action, and the President was put out of
              his misery with a dose of cyanide.

              Both Smith and Florence Harding wanted to keep the true means of the
              President's demise a secret. Prevost was hesitant, but eventually
              agreed to keep quiet and so, on August 2, 1923, it was announced that
              President Harding had died of food poisoning while on his way to San
              Francisco. No further investigation was ever conducted, as Florence
              Harding would not allow an autopsy on her husband. The body was
              returned to Washington for burial, and for the first and only time in
              American history, an FVZA report was suppressed.

              The official version of death by poisoning did little to quell rumors
              flying around Washington and the rest of the country. Why hadn't Mrs.
              Harding permitted an autopsy, and why was there such a hasty burial?
              If Warren Harding had been murdered, then there were no shortage of
              suspects. Harding's promise to wipe out corruption would likely mean
              jail time for some of his pals. Even Harding's wife, Florence, came
              under suspicion, as the President's many affairs had caused her great
              personal anguish and embarrassment.

              Investigation: The rumors and suspicions eventually died down as
              Vermonter Calvin Coolidge assumed the reins of government. But across
              the country in San Francisco, several unanswered questions continued
              to nag at FVZA Director Prevost. How had a man bitten by a vampire
              been able to board a ship carrying the President? And how had that
              vampire gotten to Harding, who was under full Secret Service protection?

              Prevost quietly began his own investigation, interviewing everyone who
              had been on or around the ship in the days leading up to Harding's
              death. He learned that the Norwegian shiphand had disappeared two days
              before the ship's departure from Alaska. A big break came when a
              witness identified John Scalise and Albert Anselmi, two thugs from the
              Al Capone crime organization, as leaving the ship the night before
              Harding was bitten. Prevost began to consider the possibility that
              Capone had put a hit on the President to preserve his bootlegging
              operation. But the means of the hit-murder by vampire-didn't match
              gangster modus operandi. And it still didn't explain how the vampire
              had gotten to the President.

              Then came a stunning announcement from Washington: former Assistant
              Attorney General Jess Smith had been indicted for accepting bribes
              from Al Capone. For Prevost, Smith's link to Capone seemed to solve
              the puzzle of Harding's death. During the trip west, Smith had enjoyed
              unfettered access to the President, and stood to lose much in
              Harding's promised purge of corruption. In addition, as assistant head
              of the Justice Department, Smith had access to the FVZA lab, from
              which several vials of vampire blood had gone missing shortly before
              President Harding's trip west. Prevost told FVZA Director Hilton
              Dickerson of his findings; Dickerson summoned him to Washington, and
              told to bring along his report.

              Prevost left San Francisco for Washington on September 12, 1924, but
              he never reached his destination. As he stepped off the train in St.
              Louis, two men with tommy guns burst into the station and opened fire.
              Prevost was shot 12 times, and died a short time later at a nearby
              hospital. His report was never recovered.

              Eyewitness accounts of Prevost's murderers matched descriptions of
              Capone hit men Scalise and Anselmi. But before police could question
              the two men, they turned up dead, riddled with shotgun blasts in a
              Chicago barbershop.

              Post-Mortems: Although Prevost's file was gone, he left behind enough
              information in his San Francisco office to build a case against Jess
              Smith in the death of Harding. FVZA Director Hilton Dickerson had
              every intention of pursuing the case, until Smith himself wound up
              dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound (the gun was
              found in his right hand, but the bullet wound was in his left temple).
              Smith's death meant that, only two years after Harding's death,
              virtually everyone involved in the event was gone (Florence Harding
              died November 21, 1924). Only Al Capone remained, and he wasn't
              talking. The Harding assassination case was dropped, and Capone
              continued to prosper until he was jailed for tax evasion in 1931.
              Afflicted with syphilis, he died in Florida in 1947.

              Comments from Dr. Pecos: Is it possible that Warren Harding's close
              friend and Assistant Attorney General Jess Smith arranged and helped
              carry out the murder of the President? The evidence is certainly
              compelling. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth, and Harding's
              cause of death is still officially listed as a stroke. For Franklin
              Prevost, a man accustomed to battling the undead, the fight against
              organized crime was played out under a different set of rules. Though
              he paid for it with his life, Franklin Prevost's courage stands as a
              proud chapter in FVZA history.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
                accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
                Frank Prevost on Google. But I did find some on Jess Smith. He was
                Assistant Attorney General and he apparently was tied to Capone. He
                committed suicide in 1923, probably with help from Capone.

                http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0500831h.html
                http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:HnO7jUcRQNkJ:www.georgetown.txed.net/faculty/ghs/FisherJ/AP%2520US/The%25201920.doc+%22Jess+Smith%22+Capone&hl=en
                http://www.referatele.com/referate/engleza/online7/Prohibition-referatele-com.php

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                  > I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
                  > accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
                  > Frank Prevost on Google.

                  I thought they were just a conspiracy group who write parodies about
                  the vampires and zombies. I should have mentioned that in the first
                  place. Here is a more serious and scholarly account from the book
                  written by Frederick Lewis Allen published in 1931:

                  http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/ALLEN/ch6.html
                  HARDING AND THE SCANDALS

                  Having been personal attorney for Warren G. Harding before he was
                  Senator from Ohio and while he was Senator, and thereafter until his
                  death.
                  --And for Mrs. Harding for a period of several years, and before her
                  husband was elected President and after his death,
                  --And having been attorney for the Midland National Bank of Washington
                  Court House, O., and for my brother, M. S. Daugherty,
                  --And having been Attorney-General of the United States during the
                  time that President Harding served as President,
                  --And also for a time after President Harding's death under President
                  Coolidge,
                  --And with all of those named, as attorney, personal friend, and
                  Attorney-General, my relations were of the most confidential character
                  as well as professional,
                  --I refuse to testify and answer questions put to me, because:
                  The answer I might give or make and the testimony I might give might
                  tend to incriminate me.

                  --Harry M. Daugherty's written reply when called upon by Judge
                  Thacher for information for the Federal Grand Jury in New York, March
                  31, 1926. (Punctuation revised.)

                  ON THE morning of March 4, 1921,—a brilliant morning with a frosty air
                  and a wind which whipped the flags of Washington—Woodrow Wilson,
                  broken and bent and ill, limped from the White House door to a waiting
                  automobile, rode down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol with the
                  stalwart President-elect at his side, and returned to the bitter
                  seclusion of his private house in S Street. Warren Gamaliel Harding
                  was sworn in as President of the United States. The reign of normalcy
                  had begun.

                  March 4, 1921: what do those cold figures mean to you? Let us for turn
                  back for a moment to that day and look about us.

                  The war had been over for more than two years, although, as the Treaty
                  of Versailles had been thrown out by the Senate and Woodrow Wilson had
                  refused to compromise with the gentlemen at the other end of the
                  Avenue, a technical state of war still existed between Germany and the
                  United States. Business, having boomed until the middle of 1920, was
                  collapsing into the depths of depression and dragging down with it the
                  price-level which had caused so much uproar about the High Cost of
                  Living. The Big Red Scare was gradually ebbing, although the
                  super-patriots still raged and Sacco and Vanzetti had not yet come to
                  trial before Judge Thayer. The Ku-Klux Klan was acquiring its first
                  few hundred thousand members. The Eighteenth Amendment was entering
                  upon its second year, and rum-runners and bootleggers were beginning
                  to acquire confidence. The sins of the flappers were disturbing the
                  nation; it was at about this time that Philadelphia produced the
                  "moral gown" and the Literary Digest featured a symposium entitled,
                  "Is the Younger Generation in Peril?" The first radio broadcasting
                  station in the country was hardly four months old and the radio craze
                  was not yet. Skirts had climbed halfway to the knee and seemed likely
                  to go down again, a crime commission had just been investigating
                  Chicago's crime wave, Judge Landis had become the czar of baseball,
                  Dempsey and Carpentier had signed to meet the following summer at
                  Boyle's Thirty Acres, and Main Street and The Outline of History were
                  becoming best sellers.

                  The nation was spiritually tired. Wearied by the excitements of the
                  war and the nervous tension of the Big Red Scare, they hoped for quiet
                  and healing. Sick of Wilson and his talk of America's duty to
                  humanity, callous to political idealism, they hoped for a chance to
                  pursue their private affairs without governmental interference and to
                  forget about public affairs. There might be no such word in the
                  dictionary as normalcy, but normalcy was what they wanted.

                  Every new administration at Washington begins in a atmosphere of
                  expectant good will, but in this case the airs which lapped the
                  capital were particularly bland. The smile of the new President was as
                  warming as a spring thaw after a winter of discontent. For four long
                  years the gates of the White House had been locked and guarded with
                  sentries. Harding's first official act was to throw them open, to
                  permit a horde of sight-seers to roam the grounds and flatten their
                  noses against the executive window-panes and photograph one another
                  under the great north portico; to permit flivvers and trucks to detour
                  from Pennsylvania Avenue up the driveway and chortle right past the
                  presidential front door. The act seemed to symbolize the return of the
                  government to the people. Wilson had been denounced as an autocrat,
                  had proudly kept his own counsel; Harding modestly said he would rely
                  on the "best minds" to advise him, and took his oath of office upon
                  the verse from Micah which asks, "What doth the Lord require of thee
                  but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"
                  Wilson had seemed to be everlastingly prying into the affairs of
                  business and had distrusted most business men; Harding meant to give
                  them as free a hand as possible "to resume their normal onward way."
                  And finally, whereas Wilson had been an austere academic theorist,
                  Harding was "just folks": he radiated an unaffected good nature, met
                  reporters and White House visitors with a warm handclasp and a genial
                  word, and touched the sentimental heart of America by establishing in
                  the White House a dog named Laddie Boy. "The Washington atmosphere of
                  today is like that of Old Home Week or a college class reunion," wrote
                  Edward G. Lowry shortly after Harding took office. "The change is
                  amazing. The populace is on a broad grin." An era of good will seemed
                  to be beginning.

                  Warren Harding had two great assets, and these were already apparent.
                  First, he looked as a President of the United States should. He was
                  superbly handsome. His face and carriage had a Washingtonian nobility
                  and dignity, his eyes were benign; he photographed well and the
                  pictures of him in the rotogravure sections won him affection and
                  respect. And he was the friendliest man who ever had entered the White
                  House. He seemed to like everybody, he wanted to do favors for
                  everybody, he wanted to make everybody happy. His affability was not
                  merely the forced affability of the cold-blooded politician; it was
                  transparently and touchingly genuine. "Neighbor," he had said to
                  Herbert Hoover at their first meeting, during the war, "I want to be
                  helpful." He meant it; and now that he was President, he wanted to be
                  helpful to neighbors from Marion and neighbors from campaign
                  headquarters and to the whole neighborly American public.

                  His liabilities were not at first so apparent, yet they were
                  disastrously real. Beyond the limited scope of his political
                  experience he was "almost unbelievably ill-informed," as William Allen
                  White put it. His mind was vague and fuzzy. Its quality was revealed
                  in the clogged style of his public addresses, in his choice of turgid
                  and maladroit language ("non-involvement" in European affairs,
                  "adhesion" to a treaty), and in his frequent attacks of suffix trouble
                  ("normalcy" for normality, "betrothment" for betrothal). It was
                  revealed even more clearly in his helplessness when confronted by
                  questions of policy to which mere good nature could not find the
                  answer. White tells of Harding's coming into the office of one of his
                  secretaries after a day of listening to his advisers wrangling over a
                  tax problem, and crying out: "John, I can't make a damn thing out of
                  this tax problem. I listen to one side and they seem right, and
                  then—God!—I talk to the other side and they seem just as right, and
                  here I am where I started. I know somewhere there is a book that will
                  give me the truth, but, hell, I couldn't read the book. I know
                  somewhere there is an economist who knows the truth, but I don't know
                  where to find him and haven't the sense to know him and trust him when
                  I find him. God! what a job!" His inability to discover for himself
                  the essential facts of a problem and to think it through made him
                  utterly dependent upon subordinates and friends whose mental processes
                  were sharper than his own.

                  If he had been discriminating in the choice of his friends and
                  advisers, all might have been well. But discrimination had been left
                  out of his equipment. He appointed Charles Evans Hughes and Herbert
                  Hoover and Andrew Mellon to Cabinet positions out of a vague sense
                  that they would provide his administration with the necessary amount
                  of statesmanship, but he was as ready to follow the lead of Daugherty
                  or Fall or Forbes. He had little notion of technical fitness for
                  technical jobs. Offices were plums to him, and he handed them out like
                  a benevolent Santa Claus—beginning with the boys from Marion. He made
                  his brother-in-law Superintendent of Prisons; he not only kept the
                  insignificant Doctor Sawyer, of Sawyer's Sanitarium at Marion, as his
                  personal physician, but bestowed upon him what a White House
                  announcement called a "brigadier-generalcy" (suffix trouble again) and
                  deputed him to study the possible coordination of the health agencies
                  of the government; and for Comptroller of the Currency he selected D.
                  R. Crissinger, a Marion lawyer whose executive banking experience was
                  limited to a few months as president of the National City Bank and
                  Trust Company—of Marion.

                  Nor did Harding appear to be able to distinguish between honesty and
                  rascality. He had been trained in the sordid school of practical Ohio
                  politics. He had served for years as the majestic Doric false front
                  behind which Ohio lobbyists and fixers and purchasers of privilege had
                  discussed their "business propositions" and put over their "little
                  deals"—and they, too, followed him to Washington, along with the boys
                  from Marion. Some of them he put into positions of power, others he
                  saw assuming positions of power; knowing them intimately, he must have
                  known—if he was capable of a minute's clear and unprejudiced
                  thought—how they would inevitably use those positions; but he was too
                  fond of his old cronies, too anxious to have them share his good
                  fortune, and too muddle-minded to face the issue until it was too
                  late. He liked to slip away from the White House to the house in H
                  Street where the Ohio gang and their intimates reveled and liquor
                  flowed freely without undue regard for prohibition, and a man could
                  take his pleasure at the poker table and forget the cares of state;
                  and the easiest course to take was not to inquire too closely into
                  what the boys were doing, to hope that if they were grafting a little
                  on the side they'd be reasonable about it and not do anything to let
                  old Warren down.

                  And why did he choose such company? The truth was that under his
                  imposing exterior he was just a common small-town man, an "average
                  sensual man," the sort of man who likes nothing better in the world
                  than to be with the old bunch when they gather at Joe's place for an
                  all-Saturday-night session, with waistcoats unbuttoned and cigars
                  between their teeth and an ample supply of bottles and cracked ice at
                  hand. His private life was one of cheap sex episodes; as one reads the
                  confessions of his mistress, who claims that as President he was
                  supporting an illegitimate baby born hardly a year before his
                  election, one is struck by the shabbiness of the whole affair: the
                  clandestine meetings in disreputable hotels, in the Senate Office
                  Building (where Nan Britton believed their child to have been
                  conceived), and even in a coat-closet in the executive offices of the
                  White House itself. (Doubts have been cast upon the truth of the story
                  told in The President's Daughter, but is it easy to imagine any one
                  making up out of whole cloth a supposedly autobiographical story
                  compounded of such ignoble adventures?) Even making due allowance for
                  the refraction of Harding's personality through that of Nan Britton,
                  one sees with deadly clarity the essential ordinariness of the man,
                  the commonness of his "Gee, dearie" and "Say, you darling," his being
                  swindled out of a hundred dollars by card sharpers on a train ride,
                  his naive assurance to Nan, when detectives broke in upon them in a
                  Broadway hotel, that they could not be arrested because it was illegal
                  to detain a Senator while "en route to Washington to serve the
                  people." Warren Harding's ambitious wife had tailored and groomed him
                  into outward respectability and made a man of substance of him; yet
                  even now, after he had reached the White House, the rowdies of the
                  Ohio gang were fundamentally his sort. He had risen above them, he
                  could mingle urbanely with their superiors, but it was in the smoke
                  filled rooms of the house in H Street that he was really most at home.

                  Harding had no sooner arrived at the White House than a swarm of
                  practical politicians of the McKinley-Foraker vintage reappeared in
                  Washington. Blowsy gentlemen with cigars stuck in their cheeks and
                  rolls of very useful hundred-dollar bills in their pockets began to
                  infest the Washington hotels. The word ran about that you could do
                  business with the government now——if you only fixed things up with the
                  right man. The oil men licked their chops; had they not lobbied
                  powerfully at the Chicago convention for the nomination of just such a
                  man as Harding, who did not take this conservation nonsense too
                  seriously, and would not Harding's Secretary of the Interior, Albert
                  B. Fall, let them develop the national resources on friendly and not
                  too stringent terms? The Ohio gang chuckled over the feast awaiting
                  them: the chances for graft at Columbus had been a piker's chance
                  compared with those which the mastery of the federal government would
                  offer him. Warren Harding wanted to be helpful. Well, he would have a
                  chance to be.
                  [2]

                  The public at large, however, knew little and cared less about what
                  was happening behind the scenes. Their eyes—when they bothered to look
                  at all—were upon the well lighted stage where the Harding
                  Administration was playing a drama of discreet and seemly statesmanship.

                  Peace with Germany, so long deferred was made by a resolution signed
                  by the President on July 2, 1921. The Government of the United States
                  was put upon a unified budget basis for the first time in history by
                  the passage of the Budget Act of 1921, and Charles G. Dawes, becoming
                  Director of the Budget, entranced the newspaper-reading public with
                  his picturesque language, his underslung pipe, and his broom-waving
                  histrionics when he harangued the bureau chiefs on behalf of business
                  efficiency. Immigration was restricted, being put upon a quota basis,
                  to the satisfaction of labor and the relief of those who felt that the
                  amount of melting being done in the melting-pot was disappointingly
                  small. Congress raised the tariff, as all good Republican Congresses
                  should. Secretary Mellon pleased the financial powers of the country
                  by arguing for the lowering of the high surtaxes upon large incomes;
                  and although an obstreperous Farm Bloc joined with the Democrats to
                  keep the maximum surtax at 50 per cent, Wall Street at least felt that
                  the Administration's heart was in the right place. Every foe of union
                  labor was sure of this when Attorney-General Daugherty confronted the
                  striking railway shopmen with an injunction worthy of Mitchell Palmer
                  himself. In January, 1923, an agreement for the funding of the British
                  war debt to the United States was made in Washington; it was shortly
                  ratified by the Senate. The outstanding achievement of the Harding
                  Administration, however, was undoubtedly the Washington Conference for
                  the Limitation of Armaments--or, as the newspapers insisted upon
                  calling it, the "Arms Parley."

                  Since the war the major powers of the world had begun once more their
                  race for supremacy in armament. England, the United States, and Japan
                  were all building ships for dear life. The rivalry between them was
                  rendered acute by the growing tension in the Pacific. During the war
                  Japan had seized her golden opportunity for the expansion of her
                  commercial empire: her rivals being very much occupied elsewhere, she
                  had begun to regard China as her special sphere of interest and to
                  treat it as a sort of protectorate where her commerce would have prior
                  rights to that of other nations. Her hand was strengthened by an
                  alliance with England. When Charles Evans Hughes became Secretary of
                  State and began to stand up for American rights in the Orient,
                  applying once more the traditional American policy of the Open Door,
                  it was soon apparent that the situation was ticklish. Japan wanted her
                  own way; the Americans opposed it; and there lay the Philippines,
                  apparently right under Japan's thumb if trouble should break out! All
                  three powers, Britain, Japan, and the United States, would be the
                  gainers by an amicable agreement about the points under dispute in the
                  Pacific, by the substitution of a three-cornered agreement for the
                  Japanese-British alliance, and by an arrangement for the limitation of
                  fleets. Senator Borah proposed an international conference. Harding
                  and Hughes took up his suggestion, the conference was called, and on
                  November 12, 1921—the day following the solemn burial of America's
                  Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery-the delegates assembled in
                  Washington.

                  President Harding opened the first session with a cordial if profuse
                  speech of welcome, and true to his policy of leaving difficult
                  problems to be solved by the "best minds," left Secretary Hughes and
                  his associates to do the actual negotiating. In this case his
                  hands-off policy worked well. Hughes not only had a brilliant mind, he
                  had a definite program and a masterly grasp of the complicated issues
                  at stake. President Harding had hardly walked out of Memorial
                  Continental Hall when the Secretary of State, installed as chairman of
                  the conference, began what seemed at first only the perfunctory
                  address of greeting—and then, to the amazement of the delegates
                  assembled about the long conference tables, came out with a definite
                  and detailed program: a ten-year naval holiday, during which no
                  capital ships should be built; the abandonment of all
                  capital-shipbuilding plans, either actual or projected; the scrapping,
                  by the three nations, of almost two million tons of ships built or
                  building; and the limitation of replacement according to a 5-5-3
                  ratio: the American and British navies to be kept at parity and the
                  Japanese at three-fifths of the size of each.

                  "With the acceptance of this plan," concluded Secretary Hughes amid a
                  breathless silence, "the burden of meeting the demands of competition
                  in naval armament will be lifted. Enormous sums will be released to
                  aid the progress of civilization. At the same time the proper demands
                  of national defense will be adequately met and the nations will have
                  ample opportunity during the naval holiday of ten years to consider
                  their future course. Preparation for offensive naval war will stop now."

                  The effect of this direct and specific proposal was prodigious. At the
                  proposal of a naval holiday William Jennings Bryan, sitting among the
                  newspaper men, expressed his enthusiasm with a yell of delight. At the
                  conclusion of Hughes's speech the delegates broke into prolonged
                  applause. It was echoed by the country and by the press of the world.
                  People's imaginations were so stirred by the boldness and
                  effectiveness of the Hughes plan that the success of the conference
                  became almost inevitable.

                  After three months of negotiation the delegates of Japan, Great
                  Britain, and the United States had agreed upon a treaty which followed
                  the general lines of the Hughes program; had joined with the French in
                  an agreement to respect one another's insular possessions in the
                  Pacific, and to settle all disagreements by conciliatory negotiations;
                  had prepared the way for the withdrawal of Japan from Shantung and
                  Siberia; and had agreed to respect the principle of the open door in
                  China. The treaties were duly ratified by the Senate. The immediate
                  causes of friction in the Pacific were removed; and although cynics
                  might point out that competition in cruisers and submarines was little
                  abated and that battleships were almost obsolete anyhow, the Naval
                  Treaty at least lessened the burden of competition, as Secretary
                  Hughes had predicted, and in addition set a precedent of profound
                  importance. The armaments which a nation built were now definitely
                  recognized as being a matter of international concern, subject to
                  international agreement.

                  Outwardly, then,things seemed to be going well for Warren Harding. He
                  was personally popular; his friendly attitude toward business
                  satisfied the conservative temper of the country; his Secretary of the
                  Treasury was being referred to, wherever two or three bankers or
                  industrialists gathered together, as the "greatest since Alexander
                  Hamilton"; his Secretary of Commerce, Herbert Hoover, was aiding trade
                  as efficiently as he had aided the Belgians; and even discouraged
                  idealists had to admit that the Washington Conference had been no mean
                  achievement. Though there were rumors of graft and waste and
                  mismanagement in some departments of the Government, and the director
                  of the Veterans' Bureau had had to leave his office in disgrace, and
                  there was noisy criticism in Congress of certain leases Of oil lands
                  to Messrs. Doheny and Sinclair, these things attracted only a mild
                  public interest. When Harding left in the early summer of 1923 for a
                  visit to Alaska, few people realized that anything was radically wrong
                  with his administration. When, on his way home, he fell ill with what
                  appeared to be ptomaine poisoning, and on his arrival at Sari
                  Francisco his illness went into pneumonia, the country watched the
                  daily headlines with affectionate concern. And when, just as the
                  danger appeared to have been averted, he died suddenly—on August 2,
                  1923——of what his physicians took to be a stroke of apoplexy, the
                  whole nation was plunged into deep—and genuine grief.

                  The President's body was placed upon a special train, which proceeded
                  across the country at the best possible speed to Washington. All along
                  the route, thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children were
                  gathered to see it slip by. Cowboys on the Western hills dismounted
                  and stood uncovered as the train passed. In the cities the throngs of
                  mourners were so dense that the engineer had to reduce his speed and
                  the train fell hours behind schedule. "It is believed," wrote a
                  reporter for the New York Times, "to be the most remarkable
                  demonstration in American history of affection, respect, and reverence
                  for the dead." When Warren Harding's body, after lying in state at
                  Washington, was taken to Marion for burial, his successor proclaimed a
                  day of public mourning, business houses were closed, memorial services
                  were held from one end of the country to the other, flags hung at half
                  mast, and buildings were draped in black.

                  The innumerable speeches made that day expressed no merely perfunctory
                  sentiments; everywhere people felt that a great-hearted man, bowed
                  down with his labors in their behalf, had died a martyr to the service
                  of his country. The dead President was called "a majestic figure who
                  stood out like a rock of consistency"; it was said that "his vision
                  was always on the spiritual"; and Bishop Manning of New York, speaking
                  at a memorial service in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, seemed
                  to be giving the fallen hero no more than his due when he cried, "If I
                  could write one sentence upon his monument it would be this, 'He
                  taught us the power of brotherliness.' It is the greatest lesson that
                  any man can teach us. It is the spirit of the Christian religion. In
                  the spirit of brotherliness and kindness we can solve all the problems
                  that confront us. . . . May God ever give to our country leaders as
                  faithful, as wise, as noble in spirit, as the one whom we now mourn."

                  But as it happens, there are some problems—at least for a President of
                  the United States—that the spirit of brotherliness and kindness will
                  not alone solve. The problem, for example, of what to do when those to
                  whom you have been all too brotherly have enmeshed your administration
                  in graft, and you know that the scandal cannot long be concealed, and
                  you feel your whole life-work toppling into disgrace. That was the
                  problem which had killed Warren Harding.

                  A rumor that the President committed suicide by taking poison later
                  gained wide currency through the publication of Samuel Hopkins Adams's
                  Revelry, a novel largely based on the facts of the Harding
                  Administration. Gaston B. Means, a Department of justice detective and
                  a member of the gang which revolved about Daugherty, implied only too
                  clearly in The Strange Death of President Harding that the President
                  was poisoned by his wife, with the connivance of Doctor Sawyer. The
                  motive, according to Means, was a double one: Mrs. Harding had found
                  out about Nan Britton and the illegitimate daughter and was consumed
                  with a bitter and almost insane jealousy; and she had learned enough
                  about the machinations of Harding's friends and the power that they
                  had over him to feel that only death could save him from obloquy. Both
                  the suicide theory and the Means story are very plausible. The
                  ptomaine poisoning came, it was said, from eating crab meat on the
                  presidential boat on the return from Alaska, but the list of supplies
                  in the steward's pantry contained no crab meat and no one else in the
                  presidential party was taken ill; furthermore, the fatal "stroke of
                  apoplexy" occurred when the President was recovering from pneumonia,
                  Mrs. Harding was apparently alone with him at the time, and the
                  verdict of the physicians, not being based upon an autopsy, was hardly
                  more than an expression of opinion. Yet it is not necessary to accept
                  any such melodramatic version of the tragedy to acknowledge that
                  Harding died a victim of the predicament in which he was caught. He
                  knew too much of what had been going on in his administration to be
                  able to face the future. On the Alaskan trip, he was clearly in a
                  state of tragic fear; according to William Allen White, "he kept
                  asking Secretary Hoover and the more trusted reporters who surrounded
                  him what a President should do whose friends had betrayed him."
                  Whatever killed him-poison or heart failure-did so the more easily
                  because he had lost the will to live.

                  Of all this, of course, the country as a whole guessed nothing at the
                  time. Their friend and President was dead, they mourned his death, and
                  they applauded the plans of the Harding Memorial Association to raise
                  a great monument in his honor. It was only afterward that the truth
                  came out, piece by piece.
                  [3]

                  The martyred President had not been long in his grave when the
                  peculiar circumstances under which the Naval Oil Reserves at Teapot
                  Dome and Elk Hills had been leased began to be unearthed by the Senate
                  Committee on Public Lands, and there was little by little disclosed
                  what was perhaps the gravest and most far-reaching scandal of the
                  Harding Administration. The facts of the case, as they were ultimately
                  established, were, briefly, as follows:

                  Since 1909 three tracts of oil-bearing government land had been
                  legally set aside for the future hypothetical needs of the United
                  States navy—as a sort of insurance policy against a possible shortage
                  of oil in time of emergency. They were Naval Reserve No. 1 at Elk
                  Hills, California; No. 2, at Buena Vista, California; and No. 3, at
                  Teapot Dome, Wyoming. As time went on, it became apparent that the oil
                  under these lands might be in danger of being drawn off by neighboring
                  wells, the flow of oil under the earth being such that if you drill a
                  well you are likely to bring up not only the oil from under your own
                  land, but also that from under your neighbor's land. As to the extent
                  of this danger to these particular properties there was wide
                  disagreement; but when gushers were actually opened up right on the
                  threshold of the Elk Hills Reserve, Congress took action. In 1920 it
                  gave the Secretary of the Navy almost unlimited power to meet as he
                  saw fit the problem of conserving the Reserves. Clearly there were at
                  least two possible courses of action open to him. He might arrange to
                  have offset wells drilled along the edge of the Reserves to neutralize
                  the drainage, or he might lease the Reserves to private operators on
                  condition that they store an equitable amount of the oil—or of fuel
                  oil—for the future requirements of the national defense. Secretary
                  Daniels preferred to have offset wells drilled.

                  But when Albert B. Fall became Secretary of the Interior under
                  President Harding, he decided otherwise. During 1921—on the eve of the
                  Conference for the Limitation of Armaments—certain high officers in
                  the navy were sufficiently nervous about possible trouble with Japan
                  to declare that the navy must at once have fuel oil storage depots
                  built and filled and ready for use at Pearl Harbor and other strategic
                  points. This idea suited Mr. Fall perfectly. He had come into office
                  as the ally of certain big oil interests, and being a politician
                  without illusions, he saw a chance to do them a favor. He would lease
                  the reserves in their entirety to private operators, and meet the
                  needs of the navy by using the royalty oil which these operators paid
                  the Government for the purpose of buying fuel oil tanks and filling
                  them with fuel oil. To be sure, the Secretary of the Navy alone had
                  power to lease the Reserves, and Fall was not the Secretary of the
                  Navy; but that was not an insuperable difficulty.

                  Less than three months after President Harding took office, he signed
                  an Executive Order transferring the Reserves from the custody of the
                  Secretary of the Navy to that of the Secretary of the Interior. On
                  April 7, 1922, Fall secretly and without competitive bidding leased
                  Reserve No. 3, the Teapot Dome Reserve, to Harry F. Sinclair's Mammoth
                  Oil Company. On December 11, 1922, he secretly and without competitive
                  bidding leased Reserve No. 1, the Elk Hills Reserve, to Edward F.
                  Doherty's Pan-American Company. It has been argued that these leases
                  were fair to the Government and that no undue profits would have
                  accrued to the lessees if the contracts had been allowed to stand. It
                  has been argued that the necessity for keeping secret what were
                  thought of as military arrangements was sufficient excuse for the
                  absence of competitive bidding and the complete absence of publicity.
                  But it was later discovered that Fall had received from Sinclair some
                  $260,000 in Liberty bonds, and that Fall had been "lent" by
                  Doheny—without interest and without security—$100,000 in cash.

                  After a long series of Senate investigations, governmental lawsuits,
                  and criminal trials which dragged out through the rest of the decade,
                  the Doheny lease was voided by the Supreme Court as "Illegal and
                  fraudulent," the Sinclair lease was also voided, and Secretary Fall
                  was found guilty of accepting a bribe from Doheny and sentenced to a
                  year in prison. Secretary of the Navy Denby-who had amiably approved
                  the transfer of the Reserves from his charge to that of Fall—was
                  driven from office by public criticism. Paradoxically, both Doheny and
                  Sinclair were acquitted. But Sinclair had to serve a double term in
                  prison in 1929: first, for contempt of the Senate in refusing to
                  answer questions put to him by the Committee on Public Lands, and
                  second, for contempt of court in having the jury at his first trial
                  shadowed by Burns detectives. (One of the jurors declared that a man
                  had approached him with the suggestion that if he voted right he would
                  have an automobile "as long as this block.")

                  Such are the bare facts of the oil lease transactions. But they are
                  only a part of the story. For after the Senate Committee's first
                  important disclosures, early in 1924, and President Coolidge's
                  appointment of the useful Mr. Owen Roberts and the ornamental
                  Ex-Senator Atlee Pomerene as a bi-partisan team of Government
                  prosecutors to take whatever legal action might be called for on
                  behalf of the Government, Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene discovered that
                  certain bonds transferred by Sinclair to Fall had come from the
                  exchequer of a hitherto unheard-of concern called the Continental
                  Trading Company, Ltd., of Canada. And the history of the Continental
                  Trading Company, Ltd., as it was gradually dragged to light, was not
                  only highly sensational but highly illuminating as a case-study in
                  current American business ethics. This is what had happened:

                  On the 17th of November, 1921—a few months before the Fall-Sinclair
                  contract was made—a little group of men gathered in a room at the
                  Hotel Vanderbilt in New York for a business session. They included
                  Col. E. A. Humphreys, the owner of the rich Mexia oil field; Harry M.
                  Blackmer of the Midwest Oil Company; James E. O'Neil of the Prairie
                  Oil Company; Colonel Robert W. Stewart, chairman of the board of the
                  Standard Oil Company of Indiana; and Harry F. Sinclair, head of the
                  Sinclair Consolidated Oil Company. At that meeting Colonel Humphreys
                  agreed to sell 33,333,333 barrels of oil from his oil field at $1.50 a
                  barrel. But he discovered that he was not, as he had supposed, to sell
                  this oil directly to the companies represented by the other men
                  present. He was asked to sell it to a concern of which he had never
                  heard, a concern which had only just been incorporated—the Continental
                  Trading Company, Ltd. The contract of sale was guaranteed on behalf of
                  the mysterious Continental Company by Sinclair and O'Neil. And the
                  Continental straightway resold the oil to Sinclair's and O'Neil's
                  companies, not at $1.50 a barrel, but at $1.75 a barrel——thereby
                  diverting to the coffers of the Continental a nice profit of
                  twenty-five cents a barrel which might otherwise have gone to the
                  other companies whose executives were gathered together. A profit, it
                  might be added, which in the course of time should amount to over
                  eight million dollars.

                  As a matter of fact, it never amounted to as much as that. For after a
                  year or more the Senate became unduly inquisitive and it was thought
                  best to wind up the affairs of the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.,
                  and destroy its records. But before this was done, the profit of that
                  little deal pulled off at the Hotel Vanderbilt had piled up to more
                  than three millions.

                  With these millions, as they rolled in, President Osler, the
                  distinguished Canadian attorney who headed the Continental, purchased
                  Liberty bonds. And the bulk of these bonds (after taking out a
                  2-per-cent share for himself) he turned over, in packages, to four of
                  the gentlemen who had sat in on the conference at the Vanderbilt, as
                  follows:

                  To Harry M. Blackmer, approximately $763,000.
                  To James E. O'Neil, approximately $800,000.
                  To Colonel Robert W. Stewart, approximately $759,000.
                  Harry F. Sinclair, approximately $757,000.

                  And did these gentlemen at once report to their directors and
                  stockholders the receipt of the bonds and put them into the corporate
                  treasuries? They did not.

                  Blackmer, according to the subsequent (very subsequent) testimony of
                  his counsel, put his share in a safety deposit box at the Equitable
                  Trust Company in New York, where in 1928 it still remained.

                  O'Neil turned over his share to his company, but not until May, 1925.

                  Stewart handed his share to an employee of the Standard oil Company of
                  Indiana to be held in trust for the company in the vaults of the
                  company, but never told any other associates of this except one member
                  of the company's legal staff, and never disclosed to his directors
                  what he had done until 1928, when he finally turned over the bonds to
                  them. The trust agreement was written in pencil.

                  Sinclair, according to his own testimony, did not take the directors
                  or officers of his company into his confidence until 1928, and kept
                  his share of the bonds in a vault in his home. He did not keep all of
                  them there very long, however, or the brave history of the Continental
                  Trading Company, Ltd., might never have come to light. A goodly
                  portion of them (as we have already seen) he turned over to Fall.
                  Another goodly portion, amounting to $185,000, he "loaned" (in
                  addition to an outright gift Of $75,000), to the Republican National
                  Committee, later getting back $100,000 of it The "loan" was made to
                  Will H. Hays, who had been chairman of the Republican National
                  Committee during the Harding-Cox campaign of 1920, had later been
                  appointed Postmaster-General by President Harding, and had finally
                  resigned to become supervisor of morals for the motion-picture
                  industry. Mr. Hays was czar of the movies by the time Sinclair handed
                  him the bonds, but being a conscientious man, he was trying to get the
                  1920 Republican campaign debt paid off. To this end he attempted to
                  use the Sinclair "loan" in a very interesting way. He and his
                  lieutenants approached a number of wealthy men, potential donors to
                  the cause, and told them that if they would contribute to meet the
                  deficit they might have Sinclair bonds to the amount of their
                  contributions. How long they might keep the bonds was not made
                  clear--at least in Hays's testimony before the Senate Committee on
                  Public Lands. This method of concealing an enormous Sinclair
                  contribution was euphemistically called, by the moral supervisor of
                  the movies, "using the bonds in efforts to raise money for the deficit."
                  [4]

                  So much for our little lesson in governmental practice and in the
                  fiduciary duties of business executives in behalf of their
                  stockholders. Now let us turn to the lighter side of the oil scandals.
                  Lighter, that is, for those who were in no way implicated. There is a
                  certain grim humor in the twistings and turnings of unwilling
                  witnesses under the implacable cross-examination of Senator Walsh of
                  Montana, without whose resourceful work the truth might never have
                  been run to earth. Some of the scenes in the slowly-unfolding drama of
                  the investigations, some of the sojourns of interested parties on
                  foreign shores, some of the odd tricks of memory revealed, are not
                  without an element of entertainment. Let us go back over the record of
                  that long investigation and study a few of them, item by item.

                  Item One. Who Loaned Fall the Money?

                  In the autumn of 1923—not long after Harding's lamented death—Senator
                  Walsh's committee learned of a recent sudden rise to affluence on the
                  part of Secretary Fall. For some time previously Fall had been in
                  financial straits; he had not even paid his local taxes for several
                  years. But now all was changed. Mr. Fall had even purchased additional
                  land near his New Mexican ranch, and in this purchase had used a
                  considerable number of hundred-dollar bills. The Walsh committee at
                  once became bloodhounds on the scent: hundred-dollar bills are as
                  exciting to investigators as refusals to testify or refusals to waive
                  immunity. From whom had Fall been receiving money? Fall wrote the
                  committee a long letter, denying absolutely that he had ever received
                  a dollar from Mr. Doheny or Mr. Sinclair, and in tones of outraged
                  innocence explained that he had received a loan of $100,000 from
                  Edward B. McLean of Washington, a millionaire newspaper-owner whose
                  ample hospitality Harding and his associates had often enjoyed.

                  Mr. McLean was in Palm Beach and unable to come to Washington to
                  testify about this loan. The committee might perhaps have been
                  expected to let the matter go at that. But they did not. Mr. McLean
                  was wanted—and it began to appear that he was extremely unwilling to
                  be examined. He and his friends engaged in a voluminous correspondence
                  by coded telegrams with his aides in Washington, discussing the
                  progress of affairs in messages such as

                  Haxpw sent over buy bonka and householder bonka sultry tkvouep
                  prozoics sepic bepelt goal hocusing this pouted proponent

                  Finally Senator Walsh all too obligingly journeyed to Palm Beach to
                  take McLean's testimony there. Yes, McLean had made a loan to Fall.
                  But he had made it in the form of three checks. Secretary Fall had
                  shortly returned the checks; they had not even passed through the
                  banks, and there was no record whatever of the transaction.

                  Clearly this brief and unusual financial transaction threw little
                  light on the prosperity of the Ex-Secretary of the Interior or his use
                  of cash in large denominations. Another explanation was necessary.
                  Whereupon—on January 24, 1924—the lessee of Naval Reserve No. 1,
                  Edward L. Doheny, took the stand. He, too, had loaned $100,000 to
                  Fall. The money had been carried from New York to Washington in a
                  satchel. But the loan had nothing to do with any lease of oil-bearing
                  land. It was a bona fide loan made to accommodate an old friend. The
                  elderly oil magnate drew a touching picture of his long years of
                  comradeship with Fall. Was $100,000 a rather large sum to be loaned
                  this way in cash? Why, no, it was "just a bagatelle" to him. It was
                  not at all unusual for him "to make a remittance that way." Was there
                  a note given for the loan? Yes; Doheny would search for it. Later he
                  produced it——or rather, a fragment of it. The signature was missing.
                  Fearing that he might die and that Fall might be unduly pressed for
                  payment by cold-blooded executors, Doheny had torn the note in half
                  and given the part with the signature of Mrs. Doheny—and she had
                  mislaid it. The explanation was perfect—though some years later the
                  Supreme Court seemed to regard it with skepticism.

                  Item Two. Six or Eight Cows

                  Just before the generous Doheny took the stand, the newspapers had
                  been treated to a first-class front-page story. Archie Roosevelt, so
                  of the great T.R. and brother of the lesser T.R. (who was Harding's
                  Assistant Secretary of Navy), had come before the Walsh Committee as a
                  volunteer witness. Archie Roosevelt was an officer in one of the
                  Sinclair companies, and he had something to get off his mind. His
                  brother had urged him to tell all. He (Archie) had been told by one
                  G.D. Walberg, confidential secretary to Sinclair, that Sinclair had
                  paid $68,000 to the manager of Fall's ranch, a circumstance which, in
                  view of the relentless way in which Senator Walsh was running down
                  evidence, apparently had caused Wahlberg some uneasiness. Furthermore,
                  Sinclair had sailed for Europe—not only had sailed, but had done so
                  very quietly, without letting his name appear on the passenger list.
                  The committee called Wahlberg. This gentleman was even more uneasy at
                  the committee table than he had been in talking to Archie Roosevelt,
                  but he had a charming explanation for what he was said to have said.
                  Roosevelt must have misunderstood him. He had said nothing about
                  $68,000. What he must have said was that Sinclair had sent "six or
                  eight cows" to Fall's ranch. (Which was true, after a manner of
                  speaking: Sinclair had indeed made a present of live stock to Fall;
                  not precisely "six or eight cows," but a horse, six hogs, a bull, and
                  six heifers.) You see how the misunderstanding arose? You see how much
                  "sixty-eight thous" sounds like "six or eight cows"?

                  The Committee on Public Lands did not seem to see. They lifted a
                  collective eyebrow. So a little later Wahlberg tried again. This time
                  his explanation was even more delightful. He had been consulting his
                  memory, and had decided that what he must actually have said when he
                  sounded as if he were talking about $68,000 going to the manager of
                  the Fall ranch, or the Fall farm, was that $68,000 was going to the
                  manager of the "horse farm"—by which he had meant the trainer at
                  Sinclair's celebrated Rancocas Stables. This $68,000 represented the
                  salary of Hildreth, the trainer, together with his share of the
                  winnings of Zev and other Sinclair horses.

                  "Horse farm"—there seemed to be something less than idiomatic about
                  the phrase. The collective eyebrow was not lowered.

                  Item Three. The Silences of Colonel Stewart—and Others

                  The Senate committee was hot on the trail—or rather on two trails. But
                  then and thereafter the various gentlemen who could give it the
                  greatest assistance in following these trails to the end revealed a
                  strange reluctance to talk and a strange condition of memory when they
                  did talk. Secretary Fall was declared by his physicians to be a "very
                  sick man" who ought not to be pressed to testify. When he finally did
                  testify, he refused to answer questions which might "tend to
                  incriminate" him. Sinclair, as Archie Roosevelt had told the
                  committee, had gone to Europe; after he returned, he too refused to
                  answer questions; it was this refusal which led to his conviction for
                  contempt. After his acquittal on the graver charge of conspiracy to
                  defraud the government he at last spoke out; he admitted that he had
                  turned over the bonds to Fall, but insisted that they were given in
                  payment for a one-third interest in Fall's ranching and cattle business.

                  Blackmer had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. O'Neil
                  had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. Osler of the
                  Continental Trading Company was somewhere at the ends of the earth.
                  And as for Colonel Stewart, only the insistence of John D.
                  Rockefeller, Jr., induced him to come from Cuba to face the committee.
                  When he did face it, early in 1928, he testified as follows: "I did
                  not personally receive any of these bonds. I did not make one dollar
                  out of the transaction." Less than two months later, after Sinclair's
                  acquittal had somewhat reduced the tension, he admitted that over
                  three-quarters of a million dollars' worth of these bonds had been
                  delivered to him, and that he had not told the directors of his
                  company about them for several years.

                  Item Four. The Testimony of Mr. Hays

                  In 1924 Will H. Hays, preceptor of motion-picture morality, was called
                  before the Senate committee. He was asked how much money Sinclair had
                  contributed to the Republican Party. Seventy-five thousand dollars, he
                  said.

                  In 1928, after the history of the Continental bonds had become
                  somewhat clearer, Mr. Hays was asked to face the committee again. He
                  told them the full story of Sinclair's "loan" of $185,000 in addition
                  to his gift. Why had he not told this before? He had not been "asked
                  about any bonds."

                  Item Five. The Reticence of Mr. Mellon

                  A few days after Mr. Hays gave his second and improved version of the
                  Sinclair contributions, the cashier of Charles Pratt & Company was
                  called before the committee to testify about $50,000 worth of
                  Sinclair-Continental Liberty bonds which had been left by Hays with
                  the late John T. Pratt, to be held agains a contribution of the same
                  amount—after the ingenious Hays plan—by Mr. Pratt to the Republican
                  Committee. The cashier produced a card on which Mr. Pratt had noted
                  the disposal of the bonds and the payment of his contribution. And in
                  the corner of this card was a minute notation in pencil, as follows:
                  $50,000
                  Andy Weeks
                  DuPont
                  Butler

                  Senator Walsh examined the card.

                  Senator Walsh: I can make out "Weeks," and I can make out "DuPont,"
                  and I can make out "Butler," but what is this other name? It looks
                  like Andy.

                  The Cashier (using a magnifying glass): It's Weeks, DuPont, Butler,
                  and the other name must be Candy. . . . Yes, it might be Andy.

                  Senator Nye: And who is Andy?

                  The Cashier: I have no idea who Andy can be. I can think of no one
                  known as Andy.

                  There was a roar from the crowd in the room. Everybody knew who Andy
                  must be. Senator WAlsh dispatched a note to Andrew W. Mellon,
                  Secretary of the Treasury, to ask him if he could explain the
                  notation. This Mr. Mellon obligingly did without delay.

                  Late in 1923, Mr. Mellon explained—at just about the time when the
                  Teapot Dome investigation was getting under way—Hays had sent him some
                  bonds. "When Mr. Hays called shortly thereafter, he told me that he
                  had received the bonds from Mr. Sinclair and suggested that I hold the
                  bonds and contribute an equal amount to the fund. This I declined to do."

                  The Secretary had acted with strict integrity. He had sent the bonds
                  back, and instead of following Hays's suggestion he had made an
                  outright contribution of $50,000. He added that he had "had no
                  knowledge of what has developed since, that is, of the Teapot Dome
                  lease matter."

                  It is perhaps worth noting, however, that this testimony was given in
                  1928. For more than three years not only the Senate committee, but
                  Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene, the public attorneys appointed by
                  President Coolidge to prosecute the government suits, had been trying
                  to discover just what had become of the Continental bonds, and during
                  all that time the Secretary of the Treasury was aware that in 1923 he
                  had been offered Liberty bonds which came from Sinclair. He said
                  nothing until that little card turned up with Andy (or possibly Candy)
                  penciled on it. A small matter, perhaps; but surely it revealed the
                  Secretary as a paragon of reticence when his testimony might cast
                  discredit on the money-raising methods of his party.

                  Thus comes to an end—as of this writing, at least—the remarkable story
                  of Teapot Dome and Elk Hills and the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.
                  The Executive Order transferring the leases, which may be said to have
                  begun it all, was promulgated in June, 1921, when Harding was new in
                  office, and the Stillman divorce trial was impending, and Dempsey was
                  preparing to meet Carpentier, and young Charles Lindbergh had not yet
                  taken his first ride in an airplane. By the time Sinclair and Stewart
                  had told their stories and Hays had revised himself and Secretary
                  Mellon had overcome his reticence, Lindbergh had flown to Europe and
                  Herbert Hoover was corralling delegates for the Republican nomination;
                  by the time Harry Sinclair emerged from his unwelcome term of service
                  as apothecary in the Washington jail, the bull market had come down in
                  ruin and the Post-war Decade was dying. Secretary Fall's term as
                  guardian of the national resources for the Harding Administration had
                  been brief, but the aftermath had been as long and harrowing as it was
                  instructive.

                  Oh yes—there is one more thing to add. The oil: what became of the oil
                  that started it all, the oil that the patriots of the Navy Department
                  had been so anxious to have immediately available in case of trouble
                  in the Pacific? There had been a good deal of excitement about bonds
                  and hundred-thousand-dollar loans, but everybody seemed to have
                  forgotten about that oil. Production in the properties leased to
                  Sinclair and Doheny was stopped; but you may recall that the danger of
                  drainage into neighboring wells went right on producing, and it is
                  said that part of the oil from them—including, in all probability,
                  some drawn from within the Reserves—was sold to the Japanese Government!
                  [5]

                  The oil cases were the aristocrats among the scandals of the Harding
                  Administration, but there were other scandals juicier and more
                  reeking. Let us hold our noses for a moment and examine a few of them
                  briefly.

                  There was, for example, the almost incredible extravagance and
                  corruption of the Veterans' Bureau under Charles R. Forbes, a
                  buccaneer of fortune (and one-time deserter from the army) whom
                  Harding had fallen in with on a visit to Hawaii. Harding was so taken
                  with Forbes that in 1921 he put him in charge of the Government's work
                  for those disabled war heroes in whose behalf every public man
                  considered it his duty to shed an appreciative tear. Forbes held
                  office for less than two years, and during that time it was estimated
                  that over two hundred million dollars went astray in graft and
                  flagrant waste on the part of his Bureau. Forbes went on a notorious
                  junket through the country, supposedly selecting hospital sites which
                  in reality had already been chosen. His Bureau let contracts for
                  veterans' hospitals almost without regard for price; for instance, a
                  contract for a hospital at Northampton was let to a firm which asked
                  some thirty thousand dollars more than the lowest bidder. It was
                  charged that Forbes had an arrangement with the builders of some
                  hospitals whereby he was to pocket a third of the profits.
                  Preposterous purchases of hospital supplies were made: the Veterans'
                  Bureau bought $70,000 worth of floor wax and floor cleaner, for
                  instance—enough, it was said, to last a hundred years—and for the
                  cleaner it paid 98 cents a gallon, although expert testimony later
                  brought out the fact that it was worth less than 4 cents a gallon
                  exclusive of the water which it contained. Quantities of surplus goods
                  were sold with the same easy disregard for price: 84,000 brand-new
                  sheets which had cost $1.37 each were sold at 26 or 27 cents apiece,
                  although at that very moment the Bureau was purchasing 25,000 new ones
                  at $1.03 apiece. "At one time," reported Bruce Bliven, "sheets just
                  bought were actually going in at one end of the warehouse [at
                  Perryville, Maryland] as the ones just sold were going out the other,
                  and some of them by mistake went straight in and out again." More than
                  75,000 towels which had cost 19 cents each were sold for 3 3/8 cents
                  each. These few facts are enough to show with what generous abandon
                  Forbes spent the money appropriated to care for the defenders of the
                  Republic. Forbes went to Leavenworth in 1926 for fraud.

                  There was rampant graft in the office of the Allen Property Custodian
                  as well. Gaston B. Means has charged that attorneys who came to
                  Washington to file claims for the return of properties taken over from
                  Germans during the war were advised to consult a Boston lawyer named
                  Thurston, that Thurston would charge them a big fee for his services,
                  the claim would be allowed, and the fee would be split with those in
                  authority. Be that as it may, the evidence brought out in the American
                  Metal Company case was sufficient to indicate the sort of transaction
                  which was permitted to take place.

                  The American Metal Company was an internationally owned concern 49 per
                  cent of whose stock had been taken over by the Allen Property
                  Custodian during the war on the ground that it belonged to Germans.
                  This stock had been sold for $6,000,000. In 1921 a certain Richard
                  Merton appeared at the Custodian's office with the claim that this 49
                  per cent had not been German, but Swiss, and that the Swiss owners,
                  whom he represented, should be reimbursed. The claim was allowed after
                  Merton had paid $441,000 in Liberty bonds to John T. King, Republican
                  National Committeeman from Connecticut, for "services" which consisted
                  of introducing him to Colonel T. W. Miller, the Custodian, and to Jess
                  Smith, Attorney-General Daugherty's man Friday. It was brought out at
                  Miller's trial that at least $200,000 of this $441,000 was paid over
                  to Jess Smith "for expediting the claim through his acquaintance in
                  Washington"; that Mal S. Daugherty, brother of the Attorney-General,
                  sold at least $40,000 worth of Merton Liberty bonds and shortly
                  thereafter deposited $49,165 to his brother's account; and that
                  Colonel Miller also got a share of the money. Miller was convicted in
                  1927 of conspiracy to defraud the Government of his unbiased services
                  and was sentenced to eighteen Months in prison. Daugherty was also
                  brought to trial, but got off. After two juries had been unable to
                  agree as to his guilt or innocence, the indictment against him was
                  dismissed-but not before it had been brought out that in 1925 this
                  former chief legal officer of the Government had gone to his brother's
                  bank at Washington Court House, Ohio, and had taken out and burned the
                  ledger sheets covering his own account there, and his brother's
                  account, and another account known as "Jesse Smith Extra."

                  It was during the grand jury investigation which preceded the American
                  Metal Company case that Harding's Attorney-General wrote the
                  remarkable statement which appears at the head of this chapter. During
                  his trial Daugherty failed to take the stand in his own defense, and
                  his attorney, Max Steuer, later explained this failure in another
                  equally remarkable statement:

                  "It was not anything connected with this case which impelled him to
                  refrain from so doing. . . . He feared . . . that Mr. Buckner would
                  cross-examine him about matters political that would not involve Mr.
                  Daugherty, concerning which he knew and as to which he would never
                  make disclosure. . . . If the jury knew the real reason for destroying
                  the ledger sheets they would commend rather than condemn Mr.
                  Daugherty, but he insisted on silence."

                  Could there be a more deliberate implication that Harding's
                  Attorney-General could not tell the truth for fear of blackening the
                  reputation of his dead chief? Call Daugherty's silence, if you wish,
                  the silence of loyalty, or call those statements an effort to hide
                  behind the dead President; in either case the Harding Administration
                  appears in a strange light.

                  Charges still more damaging were boldly made by Gaston B. Means in
                  1930. He stated that as a henchman of the Ohio gang he used to engage
                  two adjoining rooms at a New York hotel for the collection of
                  prohibition graft from bootleggers who were willing to pay for federal
                  protection; that he would place a big goldfish-bowl in one of the
                  rooms, on a table which he could see by peeping through the door from
                  the next room; that each bootlegger would come at his appointed hour
                  and minute and leave in the bowl huge amounts of cash in
                  thousand-dollar or five-hundred-dollar bills; that as soon as the
                  bootlegger left, Means would enter, count the money, and check off the
                  contribution; and that in this way be collected a total of fully seven
                  million dollars which he turned over to Jess Smith, the
                  collector-in-chief for the Ohio Gang, who shared an apartment in
                  Washington with Attorney-General Daugherty.

                  Means further asserted that the swag from this and other forms of
                  graft was kept hidden—many thousand dollars at a time—in a metal box
                  buried in the back yard of the house which he occupied at 903
                  Sixteenth Street in Washington; he described this house and yard as
                  being protected with a high wire fence and fitted out with a code
                  signal system and other secret devices such as would delight a gang of
                  small boys playing pirate.

                  Jess Smith committed suicide—at least that was the official verdict—in
                  1923 in the apartment which he shared with Harry Daugherty. Means
                  claimed that just before this tragedy took place, the gang had
                  discovered that Smith, like the careful shopkeeper he had been before
                  he was brought to Washington by Daugherty to occupy a desk in the
                  Department of justice—had kept a record of all the cash which had
                  passed through his hands, and that Smith, terrified at the thought of
                  his guilt and his secret knowledge, had been playing with the idea of
                  turning state's witness against the gang. According to Means, the gang
                  thereupon decided that Smith must be disposed of. Although Smith was
                  afraid of firearms, he was persuaded to purchase a revolver on One of
                  his trips to Ohio. And the "suicide" which followed—so Means plainly
                  indicated, as many others had already suspected—was no suicide at all.

                  Finally, Means drew attention to the astonishing mortality among those
                  who had been in on the secrets of the gang. Not only had Smith dropped
                  out of the picture, but also John T. King (who had received the Merton
                  bonds), C. F. Hately (a Department of justice agent), C. F. Cramer
                  (attorney for the Veterans' Bureau), Thurston (the Boston lawyer who
                  represented many clients before the Alien Property Custodian), T. B.
                  Felder (attorney for the Harding group), President Harding, Mrs.
                  Harding, and General Sawyer. They had all died—most of them
                  suddenly—within a few years of the end of the Harding Administration.

                  No matter how much or how little credence one may give to these latter
                  charges and their implications, the proved evidence is enough to
                  warrant the statement that the Harding Administration was responsible
                  in its short two years and five months for more concentrated robbery
                  and rascality than any other in the whole history of the Federal
                  Government.
                  [6]

                  And how did the American people take these disclosures? Did they rise
                  in wrath to punish the offenders?

                  When the oil scandals were first spread across the front pages of the
                  newspapers, early in 1924, there was a wave of excitement sufficient
                  to force the resignations of Denby and Daugherty and to bring about
                  the appointment by the new President, Calvin Coolidge, of special
                  Government counsel to deal with the oil cases. But the harshest
                  condemnation on the part of the press and the public was reserved, not
                  for those who had defrauded the government, but for those who insisted
                  on bringing the facts to light. Senator Walsh, who led the
                  investigation of the oil scandals, and Senator Wheeler, who
                  investigated the Department of justice, were called by the New York
                  Tribune "the Montana scandalmongers." The New York Evening Post called
                  them mud-gunners." The New York Times, despite its Democratic
                  leanings, called them "assassins of character." In these and other
                  newspapers throughout the country one read of the "Democratic
                  lynching-bee" and "poison-tongued partisanship, pure malice, and
                  twittering hysteria," and the inquiries were called "in plain words,
                  contemptible and disgusting."

                  Newspaper-readers echoed these amiable sentiments. Substantial
                  business men solemnly informed one another that mistakes might have
                  been made but that it was unpatriotic to condemn them and thus to
                  "cast discredit on the Government," and that those who insisted on
                  probing them to the bottom were "nothing better than Bolsheviki." One
                  of the leading super-patriots of the land, Fred R. Marvin of the Key
                  Men of America, said the whole oil scandal was the result of "a
                  gigantic international conspiracy . . . of the internationalists, or
                  shall we call them socialists and communists?" A commuter riding daily
                  to New York from his suburb at this period observed that on the
                  seven-o'clock train there was some indignation at the scandals, but
                  that on the eight-o'clock train there was only indignation at their
                  exposure and that on the nine-o'clock train they were not even
                  mentioned. When, a few months later, John W. Davis, campaigning for
                  the Presidency on the Democratic ticket, made political capital of the
                  Harding scandals, the opinion of the majority seemed to be that what
                  he said was in bad taste, and Davis was snowed under at the polls. The
                  fact was that any relentless investigation of the scandals threatened
                  to disturb, if only slightly, the status quo, and disturbance of the
                  status quo was the last thing that the dominant business class or the
                  country at large wanted.

                  They had voted for normalcy and they still believed in it. The most
                  that they required of the United States Government was that it should
                  keep its hands off business (except to give it a lift now and then
                  through the imposition of favorable tariffs and otherwise) and be
                  otherwise unobtrusive. They did not look for bold and far-seeing
                  statesman. ship at Washington; their idea of statesmanship on the part
                  of the President was that he should let things alone, give industry
                  and trade a chance to garner fat profits, and not "rock the boat."
                  They realized that their selection of Harding had been something of a
                  false start toward the realization of this modest ideal. Harding had
                  been a little too hail-fellow-well-met, and his amiability had led him
                  into associations which brought about unfortunate publicity, and
                  unfortunate publicity had a tendency to rock the boat. But the basic
                  principle remained sound: all the country needed now was a President
                  who combined with unobtrusiveness and friendliness toward business an
                  unimpeachable integrity and an indisposition to have his leg pulled;
                  and this sort of President they now had. The inscrutable workings of
                  Providence had placed in the office left vacant by Harding the precise
                  embodiment of this revised presidential ideal. Calvin Coolidge was
                  unobtrusive to the last degree; he would never try to steer the ship
                  of state into unknown waters; and at the same time he was sufficiently
                  honest and circumspect to prevent any unseemly revelry from taking
                  place on the decks. Everything was, therefore, as it should be. Why
                  weaken public confidence in Harding's party, and thus in Harding's
                  successor, by going into the unfortunate episodes of the past? The
                  best thing to do was to let bygones be bygones.

                  As the years went by and the scandals which came to light grew in
                  number and in scope, it began to appear that the "mistakes" of 1921-23
                  had been larger than the friends of normalcy had supposed when they
                  vented their spleen upon Senator Walsh. But the testimony, coming out
                  intermittently as it did, was confusing and hard to piece together;
                  plain citizens could not keep clear in their minds such complicated
                  facts as those relating to the Continental bonds or the Daugherty
                  bank-accounts; and the steady passage of time made the later
                  investigations seem like a washing of very ancient dirty linen.
                  Business was good, the Coolidge variety of normalcy was working to the
                  satisfaction of the country, Coolidge was honest; why dwell
                  unnecessarily on the past? Resentment at the scandals and resentment
                  at the scandalmongers both gave way to a profound and untroubled
                  apathy. When the full story of the Continental Trading Company deal
                  became known, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., as a large stockholder in the
                  Standard Oil of Indiana, waged war against Colonel Stewart and managed
                  to put him out of the chairmanship of the company; but the business
                  world as a whole seemed to find nothing wrong in Colonel Stewart's
                  performance. The voice of John the B<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                    My recollection of Jess Smith is that he was a crony,
                    who was a frequent companion of Florence Harding, who
                    he and Warren called 'Duchess' due to her overblown
                    aristocratic airs. He also acted as a liaison for
                    Warren's affairs, including sneaking women into the
                    White House. I seem to remember that he was found dead
                    in an apparent suicide, a bullet to his right temple
                    and though he was left-handed, the AG refused to
                    investigate, the insinuation being that he was killed
                    by someone inside the administration. He had been
                    selling off massive amounts of federal liquor to cover
                    his debts from playing the market very badly.
                    Thanks for sending the info, Ram.

                    === message truncated ===