Re: DeLay to give up majority leader post

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
      It's been quite a delay, LOL!

      A bit lame, but still funny to say.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
        He's been running in the mid 30s in his district
        approval ratings BEFORE the Abramhoff revelations. Any
        politician who takes a corporate jet to his own
        ethnics arraignment just doesn't get it.
        OK, historians.. Is Nancy Pelosi right when she labels
        this Congress the most corrupt in our nation's
        history?

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
          I thought it was Harry Reid that said, not Pelosi? Or
          maybe they both said it. As to whether it's true, I
          really don't know. Congress right now certainly seems
          very corrupt, but there may have been times when it
          was even more. There's undoubtedly been plenty of
          Congressional corruption throughout history that never
          saw the light of day, and the public never realized
          how things really were in Washington. For other very
          corrupt times I'd suspect that the decades between the
          Civil War and the Progressive Era may have equalled or
          surpassed our time. I don't know enough about the
          Credit Mobilier scandal, but I think it may somewhat
          parallel the Abramoff scandal.

          --- THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...> wrote:

          > He's been running in the mid 30s in his district
          > approval ratings BEFORE the Abramhoff revelations.
          > Any
          > politician who takes a corporate jet to his own
          > ethnics arraignment just doesn't get it.
          > OK, historians.. Is Nancy Pelosi right when she
          > labels
          > this Congress the most corrupt in our nation's
          > history?
          > Tom
          >

          > --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:
          >
          > > It's been quite a delay, LOL!
          > >
          > > A bit lame, but still funny to say.
          > >
          > > Ram
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gregory
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
            I think one should look at the era of westward growth and the days of
            the railroads expanding across America for a time when Congress had
            some problems. Was it worse? I guess that all is a judgement call
            and how one evaluates it. But I can tell you this from just being
            old enough to know, but in the last 25 years nothing has topped this
            last week for pure scandal and nervous folks all over D.C.

            Gregory

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
              Tom,

              I have to agree with the other two distinguish historian members and
              conclude that the Gilded Age was a very corrupt era. But after the
              corruption came the better days of the Progressive era.

              Let's hope that history repeats itself very soon!

              Ram

              --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <greggolopry@c...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
                Greg,
                I heard or read the quote attributed to Pelosi,but
                hopefully she and Reid are presenting a united front
                and delivering the same message, so they probably both
                said it.
                The Harding administration was was incredibly
                corrupt, but lasted only 4 years until Harding got a
                clue... I think it may have killed him.
                I actually saw testimony before a congressional
                sub-committee in 2004 that the Bush administration was
                took Iraqi forklifts found during the occupation,
                painted them and charged the US govt for new
                forklifts and funnelled the money back to the
                re-election fund. Don't know if it's true but somebody
                testified under oath that it was.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
                  > The Harding administration was was incredibly
                  > corrupt, but lasted only 4 years until Harding got a
                  > clue... I think it may have killed him.

                  A quick correction here. :-)

                  Technically the Harding administration lasted only about 2 years
                  between his inauguration and his death in 1922. But Coolidge kept most
                  of his cabinet members until the end the remaining term.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
                    > Technically the Harding administration lasted only about 2 years
                    > between his inauguration and his death in 1922. But Coolidge kept most
                    > of his cabinet members until the end the remaining term.

                    And, of course, I actually meant 1923 not 1922.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
                      Good point, Ram.. I had it in my head that he died in
                      early 1924, but it was actually Aug. 2, 1923. Does
                      anyone have an opinion on whether the discovery of the
                      scandal hastened his demise?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                        http://www.fvza.org/harding.html
                        Famous Cases: Who Killed Warren Harding?

                        Report Number: 2381*

                        *As the actual file is missing, this case has been pieced together
                        from interviews, memoirs and assorted public records.

                        Date: August 2, 1923
                        Location: San Francisco, California

                        Of all the American presidents who died in office, none had more
                        questions surrounding his demise than the 29th President, Warren
                        Harding. After Harding expired in San Francisco on August 2, 1923, the
                        cause of death was ascribed to food poisoning, a determination later
                        changed to stroke. However, many people suspected murder, as Harding
                        had his share of enemies. But the true story behind Harding's death
                        may have gone to the grave with one dogged FVZA Agent.

                        Background: Warren Harding came out of nowhere to seize the 1920
                        Republican Presidential nomination and go on to win the election.
                        Almost from the outset, his administration was plagued with scandal.
                        Harding installed several of his old Ohio friends in important
                        positions within his Cabinet, and his White House was known more for
                        its poker games and evening burlesques than for any actual
                        legislation. The mid-term congressional elections of 1922, in which
                        Republican candidates got hammered, were a wake-up call for Harding,
                        who said of his friends, "they're the ones that keep me walking the
                        floors at night." In a June 1923 speech, Harding vowed to rid his
                        administration of corruption. But before doing so, the President had
                        to make a long-promised trip west with his wife Florence and his good
                        friend Jess Smith, assistant to the U.S. Attorney General.

                        Shortly before he left, the President received information that
                        someone in the Justice Department was receiving kickbacks from Chicago
                        gangster Al Capone's organization in order to protect Capone's
                        monopoly on bootlegging (the United States had been "dry" since
                        Prohibition began in 1919). Harding discussed the matter with Jess
                        Smith, and both men endeavored to launch a full investigation when
                        they returned to Washington.

                        Harding's historic trip west was beset with problems. A ship taking
                        the President up the Alaska coast ran aground, then the President
                        became sick with food poisoning after dining on some local crabs. On
                        July 30, 1923, as the ship set sail from Alaska to San Francisco for
                        the last leg of the trip, President Harding was eager to get back to
                        Washington and commence a new, corruption-free chapter in his presidency.

                        Incident: On the night of August 1, Franklin Prevost, Director of the
                        FVZA office in San Francisco, received an urgent call from Jess Smith
                        asking him to meet the Presidential boat as it steamed into the
                        harbor. Prevost, an ambitious, idealistic young man who had risen to
                        become the youngest regional director in the Agency's history, boarded
                        the boat on a typically foggy San Francisco evening and was informed
                        by Smith that President Harding had been bitten by a vampire some time
                        the previous evening. Smith told Prevost that one of the ship's hands,
                        a Norwegian named Olaf Johans, had done it, and that he had leaped
                        overboard after the attack. Prevost entered the Presidential Suite and
                        found Harding in a vampiric coma, the telltale puncture wounds on his
                        neck, his wife Florence at his bedside. A brief discussion arrived at
                        the only reasonable course of action, and the President was put out of
                        his misery with a dose of cyanide.

                        Both Smith and Florence Harding wanted to keep the true means of the
                        President's demise a secret. Prevost was hesitant, but eventually
                        agreed to keep quiet and so, on August 2, 1923, it was announced that
                        President Harding had died of food poisoning while on his way to San
                        Francisco. No further investigation was ever conducted, as Florence
                        Harding would not allow an autopsy on her husband. The body was
                        returned to Washington for burial, and for the first and only time in
                        American history, an FVZA report was suppressed.

                        The official version of death by poisoning did little to quell rumors
                        flying around Washington and the rest of the country. Why hadn't Mrs.
                        Harding permitted an autopsy, and why was there such a hasty burial?
                        If Warren Harding had been murdered, then there were no shortage of
                        suspects. Harding's promise to wipe out corruption would likely mean
                        jail time for some of his pals. Even Harding's wife, Florence, came
                        under suspicion, as the President's many affairs had caused her great
                        personal anguish and embarrassment.

                        Investigation: The rumors and suspicions eventually died down as
                        Vermonter Calvin Coolidge assumed the reins of government. But across
                        the country in San Francisco, several unanswered questions continued
                        to nag at FVZA Director Prevost. How had a man bitten by a vampire
                        been able to board a ship carrying the President? And how had that
                        vampire gotten to Harding, who was under full Secret Service protection?

                        Prevost quietly began his own investigation, interviewing everyone who
                        had been on or around the ship in the days leading up to Harding's
                        death. He learned that the Norwegian shiphand had disappeared two days
                        before the ship's departure from Alaska. A big break came when a
                        witness identified John Scalise and Albert Anselmi, two thugs from the
                        Al Capone crime organization, as leaving the ship the night before
                        Harding was bitten. Prevost began to consider the possibility that
                        Capone had put a hit on the President to preserve his bootlegging
                        operation. But the means of the hit-murder by vampire-didn't match
                        gangster modus operandi. And it still didn't explain how the vampire
                        had gotten to the President.

                        Then came a stunning announcement from Washington: former Assistant
                        Attorney General Jess Smith had been indicted for accepting bribes
                        from Al Capone. For Prevost, Smith's link to Capone seemed to solve
                        the puzzle of Harding's death. During the trip west, Smith had enjoyed
                        unfettered access to the President, and stood to lose much in
                        Harding's promised purge of corruption. In addition, as assistant head
                        of the Justice Department, Smith had access to the FVZA lab, from
                        which several vials of vampire blood had gone missing shortly before
                        President Harding's trip west. Prevost told FVZA Director Hilton
                        Dickerson of his findings; Dickerson summoned him to Washington, and
                        told to bring along his report.

                        Prevost left San Francisco for Washington on September 12, 1924, but
                        he never reached his destination. As he stepped off the train in St.
                        Louis, two men with tommy guns burst into the station and opened fire.
                        Prevost was shot 12 times, and died a short time later at a nearby
                        hospital. His report was never recovered.

                        Eyewitness accounts of Prevost's murderers matched descriptions of
                        Capone hit men Scalise and Anselmi. But before police could question
                        the two men, they turned up dead, riddled with shotgun blasts in a
                        Chicago barbershop.

                        Post-Mortems: Although Prevost's file was gone, he left behind enough
                        information in his San Francisco office to build a case against Jess
                        Smith in the death of Harding. FVZA Director Hilton Dickerson had
                        every intention of pursuing the case, until Smith himself wound up
                        dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound (the gun was
                        found in his right hand, but the bullet wound was in his left temple).
                        Smith's death meant that, only two years after Harding's death,
                        virtually everyone involved in the event was gone (Florence Harding
                        died November 21, 1924). Only Al Capone remained, and he wasn't
                        talking. The Harding assassination case was dropped, and Capone
                        continued to prosper until he was jailed for tax evasion in 1931.
                        Afflicted with syphilis, he died in Florida in 1947.

                        Comments from Dr. Pecos: Is it possible that Warren Harding's close
                        friend and Assistant Attorney General Jess Smith arranged and helped
                        carry out the murder of the President? The evidence is certainly
                        compelling. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth, and Harding's
                        cause of death is still officially listed as a stroke. For Franklin
                        Prevost, a man accustomed to battling the undead, the fight against
                        organized crime was played out under a different set of rules. Though
                        he paid for it with his life, Franklin Prevost's courage stands as a
                        proud chapter in FVZA history.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                          I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
                          accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
                          Frank Prevost on Google. But I did find some on Jess Smith. He was
                          Assistant Attorney General and he apparently was tied to Capone. He
                          committed suicide in 1923, probably with help from Capone.

                          http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0500831h.html
                          http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:HnO7jUcRQNkJ:www.georgetown.txed.net/faculty/ghs/FisherJ/AP%2520US/The%25201920.doc+%22Jess+Smith%22+Capone&hl=en
                          http://www.referatele.com/referate/engleza/online7/Prohibition-referatele-com.php

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                            > I am somehow doubtful of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency's
                            > accuracy, and I unfortunately couldn't find any other mentions of
                            > Frank Prevost on Google.

                            I thought they were just a conspiracy group who write parodies about
                            the vampires and zombies. I should have mentioned that in the first
                            place. Here is a more serious and scholarly account from the book
                            written by Frederick Lewis Allen published in 1931:

                            http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/ALLEN/ch6.html
                            HARDING AND THE SCANDALS

                            Having been personal attorney for Warren G. Harding before he was
                            Senator from Ohio and while he was Senator, and thereafter until his
                            death.
                            --And for Mrs. Harding for a period of several years, and before her
                            husband was elected President and after his death,
                            --And having been attorney for the Midland National Bank of Washington
                            Court House, O., and for my brother, M. S. Daugherty,
                            --And having been Attorney-General of the United States during the
                            time that President Harding served as President,
                            --And also for a time after President Harding's death under President
                            Coolidge,
                            --And with all of those named, as attorney, personal friend, and
                            Attorney-General, my relations were of the most confidential character
                            as well as professional,
                            --I refuse to testify and answer questions put to me, because:
                            The answer I might give or make and the testimony I might give might
                            tend to incriminate me.

                            --Harry M. Daugherty's written reply when called upon by Judge
                            Thacher for information for the Federal Grand Jury in New York, March
                            31, 1926. (Punctuation revised.)

                            ON THE morning of March 4, 1921,—a brilliant morning with a frosty air
                            and a wind which whipped the flags of Washington—Woodrow Wilson,
                            broken and bent and ill, limped from the White House door to a waiting
                            automobile, rode down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol with the
                            stalwart President-elect at his side, and returned to the bitter
                            seclusion of his private house in S Street. Warren Gamaliel Harding
                            was sworn in as President of the United States. The reign of normalcy
                            had begun.

                            March 4, 1921: what do those cold figures mean to you? Let us for turn
                            back for a moment to that day and look about us.

                            The war had been over for more than two years, although, as the Treaty
                            of Versailles had been thrown out by the Senate and Woodrow Wilson had
                            refused to compromise with the gentlemen at the other end of the
                            Avenue, a technical state of war still existed between Germany and the
                            United States. Business, having boomed until the middle of 1920, was
                            collapsing into the depths of depression and dragging down with it the
                            price-level which had caused so much uproar about the High Cost of
                            Living. The Big Red Scare was gradually ebbing, although the
                            super-patriots still raged and Sacco and Vanzetti had not yet come to
                            trial before Judge Thayer. The Ku-Klux Klan was acquiring its first
                            few hundred thousand members. The Eighteenth Amendment was entering
                            upon its second year, and rum-runners and bootleggers were beginning
                            to acquire confidence. The sins of the flappers were disturbing the
                            nation; it was at about this time that Philadelphia produced the
                            "moral gown" and the Literary Digest featured a symposium entitled,
                            "Is the Younger Generation in Peril?" The first radio broadcasting
                            station in the country was hardly four months old and the radio craze
                            was not yet. Skirts had climbed halfway to the knee and seemed likely
                            to go down again, a crime commission had just been investigating
                            Chicago's crime wave, Judge Landis had become the czar of baseball,
                            Dempsey and Carpentier had signed to meet the following summer at
                            Boyle's Thirty Acres, and Main Street and The Outline of History were
                            becoming best sellers.

                            The nation was spiritually tired. Wearied by the excitements of the
                            war and the nervous tension of the Big Red Scare, they hoped for quiet
                            and healing. Sick of Wilson and his talk of America's duty to
                            humanity, callous to political idealism, they hoped for a chance to
                            pursue their private affairs without governmental interference and to
                            forget about public affairs. There might be no such word in the
                            dictionary as normalcy, but normalcy was what they wanted.

                            Every new administration at Washington begins in a atmosphere of
                            expectant good will, but in this case the airs which lapped the
                            capital were particularly bland. The smile of the new President was as
                            warming as a spring thaw after a winter of discontent. For four long
                            years the gates of the White House had been locked and guarded with
                            sentries. Harding's first official act was to throw them open, to
                            permit a horde of sight-seers to roam the grounds and flatten their
                            noses against the executive window-panes and photograph one another
                            under the great north portico; to permit flivvers and trucks to detour
                            from Pennsylvania Avenue up the driveway and chortle right past the
                            presidential front door. The act seemed to symbolize the return of the
                            government to the people. Wilson had been denounced as an autocrat,
                            had proudly kept his own counsel; Harding modestly said he would rely
                            on the "best minds" to advise him, and took his oath of office upon
                            the verse from Micah which asks, "What doth the Lord require of thee
                            but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"
                            Wilson had seemed to be everlastingly prying into the affairs of
                            business and had distrusted most business men; Harding meant to give
                            them as free a hand as possible "to resume their normal onward way."
                            And finally, whereas Wilson had been an austere academic theorist,
                            Harding was "just folks": he radiated an unaffected good nature, met
                            reporters and White House visitors with a warm handclasp and a genial
                            word, and touched the sentimental heart of America by establishing in
                            the White House a dog named Laddie Boy. "The Washington atmosphere of
                            today is like that of Old Home Week or a college class reunion," wrote
                            Edward G. Lowry shortly after Harding took office. "The change is
                            amazing. The populace is on a broad grin." An era of good will seemed
                            to be beginning.

                            Warren Harding had two great assets, and these were already apparent.
                            First, he looked as a President of the United States should. He was
                            superbly handsome. His face and carriage had a Washingtonian nobility
                            and dignity, his eyes were benign; he photographed well and the
                            pictures of him in the rotogravure sections won him affection and
                            respect. And he was the friendliest man who ever had entered the White
                            House. He seemed to like everybody, he wanted to do favors for
                            everybody, he wanted to make everybody happy. His affability was not
                            merely the forced affability of the cold-blooded politician; it was
                            transparently and touchingly genuine. "Neighbor," he had said to
                            Herbert Hoover at their first meeting, during the war, "I want to be
                            helpful." He meant it; and now that he was President, he wanted to be
                            helpful to neighbors from Marion and neighbors from campaign
                            headquarters and to the whole neighborly American public.

                            His liabilities were not at first so apparent, yet they were
                            disastrously real. Beyond the limited scope of his political
                            experience he was "almost unbelievably ill-informed," as William Allen
                            White put it. His mind was vague and fuzzy. Its quality was revealed
                            in the clogged style of his public addresses, in his choice of turgid
                            and maladroit language ("non-involvement" in European affairs,
                            "adhesion" to a treaty), and in his frequent attacks of suffix trouble
                            ("normalcy" for normality, "betrothment" for betrothal). It was
                            revealed even more clearly in his helplessness when confronted by
                            questions of policy to which mere good nature could not find the
                            answer. White tells of Harding's coming into the office of one of his
                            secretaries after a day of listening to his advisers wrangling over a
                            tax problem, and crying out: "John, I can't make a damn thing out of
                            this tax problem. I listen to one side and they seem right, and
                            then—God!—I talk to the other side and they seem just as right, and
                            here I am where I started. I know somewhere there is a book that will
                            give me the truth, but, hell, I couldn't read the book. I know
                            somewhere there is an economist who knows the truth, but I don't know
                            where to find him and haven't the sense to know him and trust him when
                            I find him. God! what a job!" His inability to discover for himself
                            the essential facts of a problem and to think it through made him
                            utterly dependent upon subordinates and friends whose mental processes
                            were sharper than his own.

                            If he had been discriminating in the choice of his friends and
                            advisers, all might have been well. But discrimination had been left
                            out of his equipment. He appointed Charles Evans Hughes and Herbert
                            Hoover and Andrew Mellon to Cabinet positions out of a vague sense
                            that they would provide his administration with the necessary amount
                            of statesmanship, but he was as ready to follow the lead of Daugherty
                            or Fall or Forbes. He had little notion of technical fitness for
                            technical jobs. Offices were plums to him, and he handed them out like
                            a benevolent Santa Claus—beginning with the boys from Marion. He made
                            his brother-in-law Superintendent of Prisons; he not only kept the
                            insignificant Doctor Sawyer, of Sawyer's Sanitarium at Marion, as his
                            personal physician, but bestowed upon him what a White House
                            announcement called a "brigadier-generalcy" (suffix trouble again) and
                            deputed him to study the possible coordination of the health agencies
                            of the government; and for Comptroller of the Currency he selected D.
                            R. Crissinger, a Marion lawyer whose executive banking experience was
                            limited to a few months as president of the National City Bank and
                            Trust Company—of Marion.

                            Nor did Harding appear to be able to distinguish between honesty and
                            rascality. He had been trained in the sordid school of practical Ohio
                            politics. He had served for years as the majestic Doric false front
                            behind which Ohio lobbyists and fixers and purchasers of privilege had
                            discussed their "business propositions" and put over their "little
                            deals"—and they, too, followed him to Washington, along with the boys
                            from Marion. Some of them he put into positions of power, others he
                            saw assuming positions of power; knowing them intimately, he must have
                            known—if he was capable of a minute's clear and unprejudiced
                            thought—how they would inevitably use those positions; but he was too
                            fond of his old cronies, too anxious to have them share his good
                            fortune, and too muddle-minded to face the issue until it was too
                            late. He liked to slip away from the White House to the house in H
                            Street where the Ohio gang and their intimates reveled and liquor
                            flowed freely without undue regard for prohibition, and a man could
                            take his pleasure at the poker table and forget the cares of state;
                            and the easiest course to take was not to inquire too closely into
                            what the boys were doing, to hope that if they were grafting a little
                            on the side they'd be reasonable about it and not do anything to let
                            old Warren down.

                            And why did he choose such company? The truth was that under his
                            imposing exterior he was just a common small-town man, an "average
                            sensual man," the sort of man who likes nothing better in the world
                            than to be with the old bunch when they gather at Joe's place for an
                            all-Saturday-night session, with waistcoats unbuttoned and cigars
                            between their teeth and an ample supply of bottles and cracked ice at
                            hand. His private life was one of cheap sex episodes; as one reads the
                            confessions of his mistress, who claims that as President he was
                            supporting an illegitimate baby born hardly a year before his
                            election, one is struck by the shabbiness of the whole affair: the
                            clandestine meetings in disreputable hotels, in the Senate Office
                            Building (where Nan Britton believed their child to have been
                            conceived), and even in a coat-closet in the executive offices of the
                            White House itself. (Doubts have been cast upon the truth of the story
                            told in The President's Daughter, but is it easy to imagine any one
                            making up out of whole cloth a supposedly autobiographical story
                            compounded of such ignoble adventures?) Even making due allowance for
                            the refraction of Harding's personality through that of Nan Britton,
                            one sees with deadly clarity the essential ordinariness of the man,
                            the commonness of his "Gee, dearie" and "Say, you darling," his being
                            swindled out of a hundred dollars by card sharpers on a train ride,
                            his naive assurance to Nan, when detectives broke in upon them in a
                            Broadway hotel, that they could not be arrested because it was illegal
                            to detain a Senator while "en route to Washington to serve the
                            people." Warren Harding's ambitious wife had tailored and groomed him
                            into outward respectability and made a man of substance of him; yet
                            even now, after he had reached the White House, the rowdies of the
                            Ohio gang were fundamentally his sort. He had risen above them, he
                            could mingle urbanely with their superiors, but it was in the smoke
                            filled rooms of the house in H Street that he was really most at home.

                            Harding had no sooner arrived at the White House than a swarm of
                            practical politicians of the McKinley-Foraker vintage reappeared in
                            Washington. Blowsy gentlemen with cigars stuck in their cheeks and
                            rolls of very useful hundred-dollar bills in their pockets began to
                            infest the Washington hotels. The word ran about that you could do
                            business with the government now——if you only fixed things up with the
                            right man. The oil men licked their chops; had they not lobbied
                            powerfully at the Chicago convention for the nomination of just such a
                            man as Harding, who did not take this conservation nonsense too
                            seriously, and would not Harding's Secretary of the Interior, Albert
                            B. Fall, let them develop the national resources on friendly and not
                            too stringent terms? The Ohio gang chuckled over the feast awaiting
                            them: the chances for graft at Columbus had been a piker's chance
                            compared with those which the mastery of the federal government would
                            offer him. Warren Harding wanted to be helpful. Well, he would have a
                            chance to be.
                            [2]

                            The public at large, however, knew little and cared less about what
                            was happening behind the scenes. Their eyes—when they bothered to look
                            at all—were upon the well lighted stage where the Harding
                            Administration was playing a drama of discreet and seemly statesmanship.

                            Peace with Germany, so long deferred was made by a resolution signed
                            by the President on July 2, 1921. The Government of the United States
                            was put upon a unified budget basis for the first time in history by
                            the passage of the Budget Act of 1921, and Charles G. Dawes, becoming
                            Director of the Budget, entranced the newspaper-reading public with
                            his picturesque language, his underslung pipe, and his broom-waving
                            histrionics when he harangued the bureau chiefs on behalf of business
                            efficiency. Immigration was restricted, being put upon a quota basis,
                            to the satisfaction of labor and the relief of those who felt that the
                            amount of melting being done in the melting-pot was disappointingly
                            small. Congress raised the tariff, as all good Republican Congresses
                            should. Secretary Mellon pleased the financial powers of the country
                            by arguing for the lowering of the high surtaxes upon large incomes;
                            and although an obstreperous Farm Bloc joined with the Democrats to
                            keep the maximum surtax at 50 per cent, Wall Street at least felt that
                            the Administration's heart was in the right place. Every foe of union
                            labor was sure of this when Attorney-General Daugherty confronted the
                            striking railway shopmen with an injunction worthy of Mitchell Palmer
                            himself. In January, 1923, an agreement for the funding of the British
                            war debt to the United States was made in Washington; it was shortly
                            ratified by the Senate. The outstanding achievement of the Harding
                            Administration, however, was undoubtedly the Washington Conference for
                            the Limitation of Armaments--or, as the newspapers insisted upon
                            calling it, the "Arms Parley."

                            Since the war the major powers of the world had begun once more their
                            race for supremacy in armament. England, the United States, and Japan
                            were all building ships for dear life. The rivalry between them was
                            rendered acute by the growing tension in the Pacific. During the war
                            Japan had seized her golden opportunity for the expansion of her
                            commercial empire: her rivals being very much occupied elsewhere, she
                            had begun to regard China as her special sphere of interest and to
                            treat it as a sort of protectorate where her commerce would have prior
                            rights to that of other nations. Her hand was strengthened by an
                            alliance with England. When Charles Evans Hughes became Secretary of
                            State and began to stand up for American rights in the Orient,
                            applying once more the traditional American policy of the Open Door,
                            it was soon apparent that the situation was ticklish. Japan wanted her
                            own way; the Americans opposed it; and there lay the Philippines,
                            apparently right under Japan's thumb if trouble should break out! All
                            three powers, Britain, Japan, and the United States, would be the
                            gainers by an amicable agreement about the points under dispute in the
                            Pacific, by the substitution of a three-cornered agreement for the
                            Japanese-British alliance, and by an arrangement for the limitation of
                            fleets. Senator Borah proposed an international conference. Harding
                            and Hughes took up his suggestion, the conference was called, and on
                            November 12, 1921—the day following the solemn burial of America's
                            Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery-the delegates assembled in
                            Washington.

                            President Harding opened the first session with a cordial if profuse
                            speech of welcome, and true to his policy of leaving difficult
                            problems to be solved by the "best minds," left Secretary Hughes and
                            his associates to do the actual negotiating. In this case his
                            hands-off policy worked well. Hughes not only had a brilliant mind, he
                            had a definite program and a masterly grasp of the complicated issues
                            at stake. President Harding had hardly walked out of Memorial
                            Continental Hall when the Secretary of State, installed as chairman of
                            the conference, began what seemed at first only the perfunctory
                            address of greeting—and then, to the amazement of the delegates
                            assembled about the long conference tables, came out with a definite
                            and detailed program: a ten-year naval holiday, during which no
                            capital ships should be built; the abandonment of all
                            capital-shipbuilding plans, either actual or projected; the scrapping,
                            by the three nations, of almost two million tons of ships built or
                            building; and the limitation of replacement according to a 5-5-3
                            ratio: the American and British navies to be kept at parity and the
                            Japanese at three-fifths of the size of each.

                            "With the acceptance of this plan," concluded Secretary Hughes amid a
                            breathless silence, "the burden of meeting the demands of competition
                            in naval armament will be lifted. Enormous sums will be released to
                            aid the progress of civilization. At the same time the proper demands
                            of national defense will be adequately met and the nations will have
                            ample opportunity during the naval holiday of ten years to consider
                            their future course. Preparation for offensive naval war will stop now."

                            The effect of this direct and specific proposal was prodigious. At the
                            proposal of a naval holiday William Jennings Bryan, sitting among the
                            newspaper men, expressed his enthusiasm with a yell of delight. At the
                            conclusion of Hughes's speech the delegates broke into prolonged
                            applause. It was echoed by the country and by the press of the world.
                            People's imaginations were so stirred by the boldness and
                            effectiveness of the Hughes plan that the success of the conference
                            became almost inevitable.

                            After three months of negotiation the delegates of Japan, Great
                            Britain, and the United States had agreed upon a treaty which followed
                            the general lines of the Hughes program; had joined with the French in
                            an agreement to respect one another's insular possessions in the
                            Pacific, and to settle all disagreements by conciliatory negotiations;
                            had prepared the way for the withdrawal of Japan from Shantung and
                            Siberia; and had agreed to respect the principle of the open door in
                            China. The treaties were duly ratified by the Senate. The immediate
                            causes of friction in the Pacific were removed; and although cynics
                            might point out that competition in cruisers and submarines was little
                            abated and that battleships were almost obsolete anyhow, the Naval
                            Treaty at least lessened the burden of competition, as Secretary
                            Hughes had predicted, and in addition set a precedent of profound
                            importance. The armaments which a nation built were now definitely
                            recognized as being a matter of international concern, subject to
                            international agreement.

                            Outwardly, then,things seemed to be going well for Warren Harding. He
                            was personally popular; his friendly attitude toward business
                            satisfied the conservative temper of the country; his Secretary of the
                            Treasury was being referred to, wherever two or three bankers or
                            industrialists gathered together, as the "greatest since Alexander
                            Hamilton"; his Secretary of Commerce, Herbert Hoover, was aiding trade
                            as efficiently as he had aided the Belgians; and even discouraged
                            idealists had to admit that the Washington Conference had been no mean
                            achievement. Though there were rumors of graft and waste and
                            mismanagement in some departments of the Government, and the director
                            of the Veterans' Bureau had had to leave his office in disgrace, and
                            there was noisy criticism in Congress of certain leases Of oil lands
                            to Messrs. Doheny and Sinclair, these things attracted only a mild
                            public interest. When Harding left in the early summer of 1923 for a
                            visit to Alaska, few people realized that anything was radically wrong
                            with his administration. When, on his way home, he fell ill with what
                            appeared to be ptomaine poisoning, and on his arrival at Sari
                            Francisco his illness went into pneumonia, the country watched the
                            daily headlines with affectionate concern. And when, just as the
                            danger appeared to have been averted, he died suddenly—on August 2,
                            1923——of what his physicians took to be a stroke of apoplexy, the
                            whole nation was plunged into deep—and genuine grief.

                            The President's body was placed upon a special train, which proceeded
                            across the country at the best possible speed to Washington. All along
                            the route, thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children were
                            gathered to see it slip by. Cowboys on the Western hills dismounted
                            and stood uncovered as the train passed. In the cities the throngs of
                            mourners were so dense that the engineer had to reduce his speed and
                            the train fell hours behind schedule. "It is believed," wrote a
                            reporter for the New York Times, "to be the most remarkable
                            demonstration in American history of affection, respect, and reverence
                            for the dead." When Warren Harding's body, after lying in state at
                            Washington, was taken to Marion for burial, his successor proclaimed a
                            day of public mourning, business houses were closed, memorial services
                            were held from one end of the country to the other, flags hung at half
                            mast, and buildings were draped in black.

                            The innumerable speeches made that day expressed no merely perfunctory
                            sentiments; everywhere people felt that a great-hearted man, bowed
                            down with his labors in their behalf, had died a martyr to the service
                            of his country. The dead President was called "a majestic figure who
                            stood out like a rock of consistency"; it was said that "his vision
                            was always on the spiritual"; and Bishop Manning of New York, speaking
                            at a memorial service in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, seemed
                            to be giving the fallen hero no more than his due when he cried, "If I
                            could write one sentence upon his monument it would be this, 'He
                            taught us the power of brotherliness.' It is the greatest lesson that
                            any man can teach us. It is the spirit of the Christian religion. In
                            the spirit of brotherliness and kindness we can solve all the problems
                            that confront us. . . . May God ever give to our country leaders as
                            faithful, as wise, as noble in spirit, as the one whom we now mourn."

                            But as it happens, there are some problems—at least for a President of
                            the United States—that the spirit of brotherliness and kindness will
                            not alone solve. The problem, for example, of what to do when those to
                            whom you have been all too brotherly have enmeshed your administration
                            in graft, and you know that the scandal cannot long be concealed, and
                            you feel your whole life-work toppling into disgrace. That was the
                            problem which had killed Warren Harding.

                            A rumor that the President committed suicide by taking poison later
                            gained wide currency through the publication of Samuel Hopkins Adams's
                            Revelry, a novel largely based on the facts of the Harding
                            Administration. Gaston B. Means, a Department of justice detective and
                            a member of the gang which revolved about Daugherty, implied only too
                            clearly in The Strange Death of President Harding that the President
                            was poisoned by his wife, with the connivance of Doctor Sawyer. The
                            motive, according to Means, was a double one: Mrs. Harding had found
                            out about Nan Britton and the illegitimate daughter and was consumed
                            with a bitter and almost insane jealousy; and she had learned enough
                            about the machinations of Harding's friends and the power that they
                            had over him to feel that only death could save him from obloquy. Both
                            the suicide theory and the Means story are very plausible. The
                            ptomaine poisoning came, it was said, from eating crab meat on the
                            presidential boat on the return from Alaska, but the list of supplies
                            in the steward's pantry contained no crab meat and no one else in the
                            presidential party was taken ill; furthermore, the fatal "stroke of
                            apoplexy" occurred when the President was recovering from pneumonia,
                            Mrs. Harding was apparently alone with him at the time, and the
                            verdict of the physicians, not being based upon an autopsy, was hardly
                            more than an expression of opinion. Yet it is not necessary to accept
                            any such melodramatic version of the tragedy to acknowledge that
                            Harding died a victim of the predicament in which he was caught. He
                            knew too much of what had been going on in his administration to be
                            able to face the future. On the Alaskan trip, he was clearly in a
                            state of tragic fear; according to William Allen White, "he kept
                            asking Secretary Hoover and the more trusted reporters who surrounded
                            him what a President should do whose friends had betrayed him."
                            Whatever killed him-poison or heart failure-did so the more easily
                            because he had lost the will to live.

                            Of all this, of course, the country as a whole guessed nothing at the
                            time. Their friend and President was dead, they mourned his death, and
                            they applauded the plans of the Harding Memorial Association to raise
                            a great monument in his honor. It was only afterward that the truth
                            came out, piece by piece.
                            [3]

                            The martyred President had not been long in his grave when the
                            peculiar circumstances under which the Naval Oil Reserves at Teapot
                            Dome and Elk Hills had been leased began to be unearthed by the Senate
                            Committee on Public Lands, and there was little by little disclosed
                            what was perhaps the gravest and most far-reaching scandal of the
                            Harding Administration. The facts of the case, as they were ultimately
                            established, were, briefly, as follows:

                            Since 1909 three tracts of oil-bearing government land had been
                            legally set aside for the future hypothetical needs of the United
                            States navy—as a sort of insurance policy against a possible shortage
                            of oil in time of emergency. They were Naval Reserve No. 1 at Elk
                            Hills, California; No. 2, at Buena Vista, California; and No. 3, at
                            Teapot Dome, Wyoming. As time went on, it became apparent that the oil
                            under these lands might be in danger of being drawn off by neighboring
                            wells, the flow of oil under the earth being such that if you drill a
                            well you are likely to bring up not only the oil from under your own
                            land, but also that from under your neighbor's land. As to the extent
                            of this danger to these particular properties there was wide
                            disagreement; but when gushers were actually opened up right on the
                            threshold of the Elk Hills Reserve, Congress took action. In 1920 it
                            gave the Secretary of the Navy almost unlimited power to meet as he
                            saw fit the problem of conserving the Reserves. Clearly there were at
                            least two possible courses of action open to him. He might arrange to
                            have offset wells drilled along the edge of the Reserves to neutralize
                            the drainage, or he might lease the Reserves to private operators on
                            condition that they store an equitable amount of the oil—or of fuel
                            oil—for the future requirements of the national defense. Secretary
                            Daniels preferred to have offset wells drilled.

                            But when Albert B. Fall became Secretary of the Interior under
                            President Harding, he decided otherwise. During 1921—on the eve of the
                            Conference for the Limitation of Armaments—certain high officers in
                            the navy were sufficiently nervous about possible trouble with Japan
                            to declare that the navy must at once have fuel oil storage depots
                            built and filled and ready for use at Pearl Harbor and other strategic
                            points. This idea suited Mr. Fall perfectly. He had come into office
                            as the ally of certain big oil interests, and being a politician
                            without illusions, he saw a chance to do them a favor. He would lease
                            the reserves in their entirety to private operators, and meet the
                            needs of the navy by using the royalty oil which these operators paid
                            the Government for the purpose of buying fuel oil tanks and filling
                            them with fuel oil. To be sure, the Secretary of the Navy alone had
                            power to lease the Reserves, and Fall was not the Secretary of the
                            Navy; but that was not an insuperable difficulty.

                            Less than three months after President Harding took office, he signed
                            an Executive Order transferring the Reserves from the custody of the
                            Secretary of the Navy to that of the Secretary of the Interior. On
                            April 7, 1922, Fall secretly and without competitive bidding leased
                            Reserve No. 3, the Teapot Dome Reserve, to Harry F. Sinclair's Mammoth
                            Oil Company. On December 11, 1922, he secretly and without competitive
                            bidding leased Reserve No. 1, the Elk Hills Reserve, to Edward F.
                            Doherty's Pan-American Company. It has been argued that these leases
                            were fair to the Government and that no undue profits would have
                            accrued to the lessees if the contracts had been allowed to stand. It
                            has been argued that the necessity for keeping secret what were
                            thought of as military arrangements was sufficient excuse for the
                            absence of competitive bidding and the complete absence of publicity.
                            But it was later discovered that Fall had received from Sinclair some
                            $260,000 in Liberty bonds, and that Fall had been "lent" by
                            Doheny—without interest and without security—$100,000 in cash.

                            After a long series of Senate investigations, governmental lawsuits,
                            and criminal trials which dragged out through the rest of the decade,
                            the Doheny lease was voided by the Supreme Court as "Illegal and
                            fraudulent," the Sinclair lease was also voided, and Secretary Fall
                            was found guilty of accepting a bribe from Doheny and sentenced to a
                            year in prison. Secretary of the Navy Denby-who had amiably approved
                            the transfer of the Reserves from his charge to that of Fall—was
                            driven from office by public criticism. Paradoxically, both Doheny and
                            Sinclair were acquitted. But Sinclair had to serve a double term in
                            prison in 1929: first, for contempt of the Senate in refusing to
                            answer questions put to him by the Committee on Public Lands, and
                            second, for contempt of court in having the jury at his first trial
                            shadowed by Burns detectives. (One of the jurors declared that a man
                            had approached him with the suggestion that if he voted right he would
                            have an automobile "as long as this block.")

                            Such are the bare facts of the oil lease transactions. But they are
                            only a part of the story. For after the Senate Committee's first
                            important disclosures, early in 1924, and President Coolidge's
                            appointment of the useful Mr. Owen Roberts and the ornamental
                            Ex-Senator Atlee Pomerene as a bi-partisan team of Government
                            prosecutors to take whatever legal action might be called for on
                            behalf of the Government, Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene discovered that
                            certain bonds transferred by Sinclair to Fall had come from the
                            exchequer of a hitherto unheard-of concern called the Continental
                            Trading Company, Ltd., of Canada. And the history of the Continental
                            Trading Company, Ltd., as it was gradually dragged to light, was not
                            only highly sensational but highly illuminating as a case-study in
                            current American business ethics. This is what had happened:

                            On the 17th of November, 1921—a few months before the Fall-Sinclair
                            contract was made—a little group of men gathered in a room at the
                            Hotel Vanderbilt in New York for a business session. They included
                            Col. E. A. Humphreys, the owner of the rich Mexia oil field; Harry M.
                            Blackmer of the Midwest Oil Company; James E. O'Neil of the Prairie
                            Oil Company; Colonel Robert W. Stewart, chairman of the board of the
                            Standard Oil Company of Indiana; and Harry F. Sinclair, head of the
                            Sinclair Consolidated Oil Company. At that meeting Colonel Humphreys
                            agreed to sell 33,333,333 barrels of oil from his oil field at $1.50 a
                            barrel. But he discovered that he was not, as he had supposed, to sell
                            this oil directly to the companies represented by the other men
                            present. He was asked to sell it to a concern of which he had never
                            heard, a concern which had only just been incorporated—the Continental
                            Trading Company, Ltd. The contract of sale was guaranteed on behalf of
                            the mysterious Continental Company by Sinclair and O'Neil. And the
                            Continental straightway resold the oil to Sinclair's and O'Neil's
                            companies, not at $1.50 a barrel, but at $1.75 a barrel——thereby
                            diverting to the coffers of the Continental a nice profit of
                            twenty-five cents a barrel which might otherwise have gone to the
                            other companies whose executives were gathered together. A profit, it
                            might be added, which in the course of time should amount to over
                            eight million dollars.

                            As a matter of fact, it never amounted to as much as that. For after a
                            year or more the Senate became unduly inquisitive and it was thought
                            best to wind up the affairs of the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.,
                            and destroy its records. But before this was done, the profit of that
                            little deal pulled off at the Hotel Vanderbilt had piled up to more
                            than three millions.

                            With these millions, as they rolled in, President Osler, the
                            distinguished Canadian attorney who headed the Continental, purchased
                            Liberty bonds. And the bulk of these bonds (after taking out a
                            2-per-cent share for himself) he turned over, in packages, to four of
                            the gentlemen who had sat in on the conference at the Vanderbilt, as
                            follows:

                            To Harry M. Blackmer, approximately $763,000.
                            To James E. O'Neil, approximately $800,000.
                            To Colonel Robert W. Stewart, approximately $759,000.
                            Harry F. Sinclair, approximately $757,000.

                            And did these gentlemen at once report to their directors and
                            stockholders the receipt of the bonds and put them into the corporate
                            treasuries? They did not.

                            Blackmer, according to the subsequent (very subsequent) testimony of
                            his counsel, put his share in a safety deposit box at the Equitable
                            Trust Company in New York, where in 1928 it still remained.

                            O'Neil turned over his share to his company, but not until May, 1925.

                            Stewart handed his share to an employee of the Standard oil Company of
                            Indiana to be held in trust for the company in the vaults of the
                            company, but never told any other associates of this except one member
                            of the company's legal staff, and never disclosed to his directors
                            what he had done until 1928, when he finally turned over the bonds to
                            them. The trust agreement was written in pencil.

                            Sinclair, according to his own testimony, did not take the directors
                            or officers of his company into his confidence until 1928, and kept
                            his share of the bonds in a vault in his home. He did not keep all of
                            them there very long, however, or the brave history of the Continental
                            Trading Company, Ltd., might never have come to light. A goodly
                            portion of them (as we have already seen) he turned over to Fall.
                            Another goodly portion, amounting to $185,000, he "loaned" (in
                            addition to an outright gift Of $75,000), to the Republican National
                            Committee, later getting back $100,000 of it The "loan" was made to
                            Will H. Hays, who had been chairman of the Republican National
                            Committee during the Harding-Cox campaign of 1920, had later been
                            appointed Postmaster-General by President Harding, and had finally
                            resigned to become supervisor of morals for the motion-picture
                            industry. Mr. Hays was czar of the movies by the time Sinclair handed
                            him the bonds, but being a conscientious man, he was trying to get the
                            1920 Republican campaign debt paid off. To this end he attempted to
                            use the Sinclair "loan" in a very interesting way. He and his
                            lieutenants approached a number of wealthy men, potential donors to
                            the cause, and told them that if they would contribute to meet the
                            deficit they might have Sinclair bonds to the amount of their
                            contributions. How long they might keep the bonds was not made
                            clear--at least in Hays's testimony before the Senate Committee on
                            Public Lands. This method of concealing an enormous Sinclair
                            contribution was euphemistically called, by the moral supervisor of
                            the movies, "using the bonds in efforts to raise money for the deficit."
                            [4]

                            So much for our little lesson in governmental practice and in the
                            fiduciary duties of business executives in behalf of their
                            stockholders. Now let us turn to the lighter side of the oil scandals.
                            Lighter, that is, for those who were in no way implicated. There is a
                            certain grim humor in the twistings and turnings of unwilling
                            witnesses under the implacable cross-examination of Senator Walsh of
                            Montana, without whose resourceful work the truth might never have
                            been run to earth. Some of the scenes in the slowly-unfolding drama of
                            the investigations, some of the sojourns of interested parties on
                            foreign shores, some of the odd tricks of memory revealed, are not
                            without an element of entertainment. Let us go back over the record of
                            that long investigation and study a few of them, item by item.

                            Item One. Who Loaned Fall the Money?

                            In the autumn of 1923—not long after Harding's lamented death—Senator
                            Walsh's committee learned of a recent sudden rise to affluence on the
                            part of Secretary Fall. For some time previously Fall had been in
                            financial straits; he had not even paid his local taxes for several
                            years. But now all was changed. Mr. Fall had even purchased additional
                            land near his New Mexican ranch, and in this purchase had used a
                            considerable number of hundred-dollar bills. The Walsh committee at
                            once became bloodhounds on the scent: hundred-dollar bills are as
                            exciting to investigators as refusals to testify or refusals to waive
                            immunity. From whom had Fall been receiving money? Fall wrote the
                            committee a long letter, denying absolutely that he had ever received
                            a dollar from Mr. Doheny or Mr. Sinclair, and in tones of outraged
                            innocence explained that he had received a loan of $100,000 from
                            Edward B. McLean of Washington, a millionaire newspaper-owner whose
                            ample hospitality Harding and his associates had often enjoyed.

                            Mr. McLean was in Palm Beach and unable to come to Washington to
                            testify about this loan. The committee might perhaps have been
                            expected to let the matter go at that. But they did not. Mr. McLean
                            was wanted—and it began to appear that he was extremely unwilling to
                            be examined. He and his friends engaged in a voluminous correspondence
                            by coded telegrams with his aides in Washington, discussing the
                            progress of affairs in messages such as

                            Haxpw sent over buy bonka and householder bonka sultry tkvouep
                            prozoics sepic bepelt goal hocusing this pouted proponent

                            Finally Senator Walsh all too obligingly journeyed to Palm Beach to
                            take McLean's testimony there. Yes, McLean had made a loan to Fall.
                            But he had made it in the form of three checks. Secretary Fall had
                            shortly returned the checks; they had not even passed through the
                            banks, and there was no record whatever of the transaction.

                            Clearly this brief and unusual financial transaction threw little
                            light on the prosperity of the Ex-Secretary of the Interior or his use
                            of cash in large denominations. Another explanation was necessary.
                            Whereupon—on January 24, 1924—the lessee of Naval Reserve No. 1,
                            Edward L. Doheny, took the stand. He, too, had loaned $100,000 to
                            Fall. The money had been carried from New York to Washington in a
                            satchel. But the loan had nothing to do with any lease of oil-bearing
                            land. It was a bona fide loan made to accommodate an old friend. The
                            elderly oil magnate drew a touching picture of his long years of
                            comradeship with Fall. Was $100,000 a rather large sum to be loaned
                            this way in cash? Why, no, it was "just a bagatelle" to him. It was
                            not at all unusual for him "to make a remittance that way." Was there
                            a note given for the loan? Yes; Doheny would search for it. Later he
                            produced it——or rather, a fragment of it. The signature was missing.
                            Fearing that he might die and that Fall might be unduly pressed for
                            payment by cold-blooded executors, Doheny had torn the note in half
                            and given the part with the signature of Mrs. Doheny—and she had
                            mislaid it. The explanation was perfect—though some years later the
                            Supreme Court seemed to regard it with skepticism.

                            Item Two. Six or Eight Cows

                            Just before the generous Doheny took the stand, the newspapers had
                            been treated to a first-class front-page story. Archie Roosevelt, so
                            of the great T.R. and brother of the lesser T.R. (who was Harding's
                            Assistant Secretary of Navy), had come before the Walsh Committee as a
                            volunteer witness. Archie Roosevelt was an officer in one of the
                            Sinclair companies, and he had something to get off his mind. His
                            brother had urged him to tell all. He (Archie) had been told by one
                            G.D. Walberg, confidential secretary to Sinclair, that Sinclair had
                            paid $68,000 to the manager of Fall's ranch, a circumstance which, in
                            view of the relentless way in which Senator Walsh was running down
                            evidence, apparently had caused Wahlberg some uneasiness. Furthermore,
                            Sinclair had sailed for Europe—not only had sailed, but had done so
                            very quietly, without letting his name appear on the passenger list.
                            The committee called Wahlberg. This gentleman was even more uneasy at
                            the committee table than he had been in talking to Archie Roosevelt,
                            but he had a charming explanation for what he was said to have said.
                            Roosevelt must have misunderstood him. He had said nothing about
                            $68,000. What he must have said was that Sinclair had sent "six or
                            eight cows" to Fall's ranch. (Which was true, after a manner of
                            speaking: Sinclair had indeed made a present of live stock to Fall;
                            not precisely "six or eight cows," but a horse, six hogs, a bull, and
                            six heifers.) You see how the misunderstanding arose? You see how much
                            "sixty-eight thous" sounds like "six or eight cows"?

                            The Committee on Public Lands did not seem to see. They lifted a
                            collective eyebrow. So a little later Wahlberg tried again. This time
                            his explanation was even more delightful. He had been consulting his
                            memory, and had decided that what he must actually have said when he
                            sounded as if he were talking about $68,000 going to the manager of
                            the Fall ranch, or the Fall farm, was that $68,000 was going to the
                            manager of the "horse farm"—by which he had meant the trainer at
                            Sinclair's celebrated Rancocas Stables. This $68,000 represented the
                            salary of Hildreth, the trainer, together with his share of the
                            winnings of Zev and other Sinclair horses.

                            "Horse farm"—there seemed to be something less than idiomatic about
                            the phrase. The collective eyebrow was not lowered.

                            Item Three. The Silences of Colonel Stewart—and Others

                            The Senate committee was hot on the trail—or rather on two trails. But
                            then and thereafter the various gentlemen who could give it the
                            greatest assistance in following these trails to the end revealed a
                            strange reluctance to talk and a strange condition of memory when they
                            did talk. Secretary Fall was declared by his physicians to be a "very
                            sick man" who ought not to be pressed to testify. When he finally did
                            testify, he refused to answer questions which might "tend to
                            incriminate" him. Sinclair, as Archie Roosevelt had told the
                            committee, had gone to Europe; after he returned, he too refused to
                            answer questions; it was this refusal which led to his conviction for
                            contempt. After his acquittal on the graver charge of conspiracy to
                            defraud the government he at last spoke out; he admitted that he had
                            turned over the bonds to Fall, but insisted that they were given in
                            payment for a one-third interest in Fall's ranching and cattle business.

                            Blackmer had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. O'Neil
                            had gone to Europe and could not be induced to return. Osler of the
                            Continental Trading Company was somewhere at the ends of the earth.
                            And as for Colonel Stewart, only the insistence of John D.
                            Rockefeller, Jr., induced him to come from Cuba to face the committee.
                            When he did face it, early in 1928, he testified as follows: "I did
                            not personally receive any of these bonds. I did not make one dollar
                            out of the transaction." Less than two months later, after Sinclair's
                            acquittal had somewhat reduced the tension, he admitted that over
                            three-quarters of a million dollars' worth of these bonds had been
                            delivered to him, and that he had not told the directors of his
                            company about them for several years.

                            Item Four. The Testimony of Mr. Hays

                            In 1924 Will H. Hays, preceptor of motion-picture morality, was called
                            before the Senate committee. He was asked how much money Sinclair had
                            contributed to the Republican Party. Seventy-five thousand dollars, he
                            said.

                            In 1928, after the history of the Continental bonds had become
                            somewhat clearer, Mr. Hays was asked to face the committee again. He
                            told them the full story of Sinclair's "loan" of $185,000 in addition
                            to his gift. Why had he not told this before? He had not been "asked
                            about any bonds."

                            Item Five. The Reticence of Mr. Mellon

                            A few days after Mr. Hays gave his second and improved version of the
                            Sinclair contributions, the cashier of Charles Pratt & Company was
                            called before the committee to testify about $50,000 worth of
                            Sinclair-Continental Liberty bonds which had been left by Hays with
                            the late John T. Pratt, to be held agains a contribution of the same
                            amount—after the ingenious Hays plan—by Mr. Pratt to the Republican
                            Committee. The cashier produced a card on which Mr. Pratt had noted
                            the disposal of the bonds and the payment of his contribution. And in
                            the corner of this card was a minute notation in pencil, as follows:
                            $50,000
                            Andy Weeks
                            DuPont
                            Butler

                            Senator Walsh examined the card.

                            Senator Walsh: I can make out "Weeks," and I can make out "DuPont,"
                            and I can make out "Butler," but what is this other name? It looks
                            like Andy.

                            The Cashier (using a magnifying glass): It's Weeks, DuPont, Butler,
                            and the other name must be Candy. . . . Yes, it might be Andy.

                            Senator Nye: And who is Andy?

                            The Cashier: I have no idea who Andy can be. I can think of no one
                            known as Andy.

                            There was a roar from the crowd in the room. Everybody knew who Andy
                            must be. Senator WAlsh dispatched a note to Andrew W. Mellon,
                            Secretary of the Treasury, to ask him if he could explain the
                            notation. This Mr. Mellon obligingly did without delay.

                            Late in 1923, Mr. Mellon explained—at just about the time when the
                            Teapot Dome investigation was getting under way—Hays had sent him some
                            bonds. "When Mr. Hays called shortly thereafter, he told me that he
                            had received the bonds from Mr. Sinclair and suggested that I hold the
                            bonds and contribute an equal amount to the fund. This I declined to do."

                            The Secretary had acted with strict integrity. He had sent the bonds
                            back, and instead of following Hays's suggestion he had made an
                            outright contribution of $50,000. He added that he had "had no
                            knowledge of what has developed since, that is, of the Teapot Dome
                            lease matter."

                            It is perhaps worth noting, however, that this testimony was given in
                            1928. For more than three years not only the Senate committee, but
                            Messrs. Roberts and Pomerene, the public attorneys appointed by
                            President Coolidge to prosecute the government suits, had been trying
                            to discover just what had become of the Continental bonds, and during
                            all that time the Secretary of the Treasury was aware that in 1923 he
                            had been offered Liberty bonds which came from Sinclair. He said
                            nothing until that little card turned up with Andy (or possibly Candy)
                            penciled on it. A small matter, perhaps; but surely it revealed the
                            Secretary as a paragon of reticence when his testimony might cast
                            discredit on the money-raising methods of his party.

                            Thus comes to an end—as of this writing, at least—the remarkable story
                            of Teapot Dome and Elk Hills and the Continental Trading Company, Ltd.
                            The Executive Order transferring the leases, which may be said to have
                            begun it all, was promulgated in June, 1921, when Harding was new in
                            office, and the Stillman divorce trial was impending, and Dempsey was
                            preparing to meet Carpentier, and young Charles Lindbergh had not yet
                            taken his first ride in an airplane. By the time Sinclair and Stewart
                            had told their stories and Hays had revised himself and Secretary
                            Mellon had overcome his reticence, Lindbergh had flown to Europe and
                            Herbert Hoover was corralling delegates for the Republican nomination;
                            by the time Harry Sinclair emerged from his unwelcome term of service
                            as apothecary in the Washington jail, the bull market had come down in
                            ruin and the Post-war Decade was dying. Secretary Fall's term as
                            guardian of the national resources for the Harding Administration had
                            been brief, but the aftermath had been as long and harrowing as it was
                            instructive.

                            Oh yes—there is one more thing to add. The oil: what became of the oil
                            that started it all, the oil that the patriots of the Navy Department
                            had been so anxious to have immediately available in case of trouble
                            in the Pacific? There had been a good deal of excitement about bonds
                            and hundred-thousand-dollar loans, but everybody seemed to have
                            forgotten about that oil. Production in the properties leased to
                            Sinclair and Doheny was stopped; but you may recall that the danger of
                            drainage into neighboring wells went right on producing, and it is
                            said that part of the oil from them—including, in all probability,
                            some drawn from within the Reserves—was sold to the Japanese Government!
                            [5]

                            The oil cases were the aristocrats among the scandals of the Harding
                            Administration, but there were other scandals juicier and more
                            reeking. Let us hold our noses for a moment and examine a few of them
                            briefly.

                            There was, for example, the almost incredible extravagance and
                            corruption of the Veterans' Bureau under Charles R. Forbes, a
                            buccaneer of fortune (and one-time deserter from the army) whom
                            Harding had fallen in with on a visit to Hawaii. Harding was so taken
                            with Forbes that in 1921 he put him in charge of the Government's work
                            for those disabled war heroes in whose behalf every public man
                            considered it his duty to shed an appreciative tear. Forbes held
                            office for less than two years, and during that time it was estimated
                            that over two hundred million dollars went astray in graft and
                            flagrant waste on the part of his Bureau. Forbes went on a notorious
                            junket through the country, supposedly selecting hospital sites which
                            in reality had already been chosen. His Bureau let contracts for
                            veterans' hospitals almost without regard for price; for instance, a
                            contract for a hospital at Northampton was let to a firm which asked
                            some thirty thousand dollars more than the lowest bidder. It was
                            charged that Forbes had an arrangement with the builders of some
                            hospitals whereby he was to pocket a third of the profits.
                            Preposterous purchases of hospital supplies were made: the Veterans'
                            Bureau bought $70,000 worth of floor wax and floor cleaner, for
                            instance—enough, it was said, to last a hundred years—and for the
                            cleaner it paid 98 cents a gallon, although expert testimony later
                            brought out the fact that it was worth less than 4 cents a gallon
                            exclusive of the water which it contained. Quantities of surplus goods
                            were sold with the same easy disregard for price: 84,000 brand-new
                            sheets which had cost $1.37 each were sold at 26 or 27 cents apiece,
                            although at that very moment the Bureau was purchasing 25,000 new ones
                            at $1.03 apiece. "At one time," reported Bruce Bliven, "sheets just
                            bought were actually going in at one end of the warehouse [at
                            Perryville, Maryland] as the ones just sold were going out the other,
                            and some of them by mistake went straight in and out again." More than
                            75,000 towels which had cost 19 cents each were sold for 3 3/8 cents
                            each. These few facts are enough to show with what generous abandon
                            Forbes spent the money appropriated to care for the defenders of the
                            Republic. Forbes went to Leavenworth in 1926 for fraud.

                            There was rampant graft in the office of the Allen Property Custodian
                            as well. Gaston B. Means has charged that attorneys who came to
                            Washington to file claims for the return of properties taken over from
                            Germans during the war were advised to consult a Boston lawyer named
                            Thurston, that Thurston would charge them a big fee for his services,
                            the claim would be allowed, and the fee would be split with those in
                            authority. Be that as it may, the evidence brought out in the American
                            Metal Company case was sufficient to indicate the sort of transaction
                            which was permitted to take place.

                            The American Metal Company was an internationally owned concern 49 per
                            cent of whose stock had been taken over by the Allen Property
                            Custodian during the war on the ground that it belonged to Germans.
                            This stock had been sold for $6,000,000. In 1921 a certain Richard
                            Merton appeared at the Custodian's office with the claim that this 49
                            per cent had not been German, but Swiss, and that the Swiss owners,
                            whom he represented, should be reimbursed. The claim was allowed after
                            Merton had paid $441,000 in Liberty bonds to John T. King, Republican
                            National Committeeman from Connecticut, for "services" which consisted
                            of introducing him to Colonel T. W. Miller, the Custodian, and to Jess
                            Smith, Attorney-General Daugherty's man Friday. It was brought out at
                            Miller's trial that at least $200,000 of this $441,000 was paid over
                            to Jess Smith "for expediting the claim through his acquaintance in
                            Washington"; that Mal S. Daugherty, brother of the Attorney-General,
                            sold at least $40,000 worth of Merton Liberty bonds and shortly
                            thereafter deposited $49,165 to his brother's account; and that
                            Colonel Miller also got a share of the money. Miller was convicted in
                            1927 of conspiracy to defraud the Government of his unbiased services
                            and was sentenced to eighteen Months in prison. Daugherty was also
                            brought to trial, but got off. After two juries had been unable to
                            agree as to his guilt or innocence, the indictment against him was
                            dismissed-but not before it had been brought out that in 1925 this
                            former chief legal officer of the Government had gone to his brother's
                            bank at Washington Court House, Ohio, and had taken out and burned the
                            ledger sheets covering his own account there, and his brother's
                            account, and another account known as "Jesse Smith Extra."

                            It was during the grand jury investigation which preceded the American
                            Metal Company case that Harding's Attorney-General wrote the
                            remarkable statement which appears at the head of this chapter. During
                            his trial Daugherty failed to take the stand in his own defense, and
                            his attorney, Max Steuer, later explained this failure in another
                            equally remarkable statement:

                            "It was not anything connected with this case which impelled him to
                            refrain from so doing. . . . He feared . . . that Mr. Buckner would
                            cross-examine him about matters political that would not involve Mr.
                            Daugherty, concerning which he knew and as to which he would never
                            make disclosure. . . . If the jury knew the real reason for destroying
                            the ledger sheets they would commend rather than condemn Mr.
                            Daugherty, but he insisted on silence."

                            Could there be a more deliberate implication that Harding's
                            Attorney-General could not tell the truth for fear of blackening the
                            reputation of his dead chief? Call Daugherty's silence, if you wish,
                            the silence of loyalty, or call those statements an effort to hide
                            behind the dead President; in either case the Harding Administration
                            appears in a strange light.

                            Charges still more damaging were boldly made by Gaston B. Means in
                            1930. He stated that as a henchman of the Ohio gang he used to engage
                            two adjoining rooms at a New York hotel for the collection of
                            prohibition graft from bootleggers who were willing to pay for federal
                            protection; that he would place a big goldfish-bowl in one of the
                            rooms, on a table which he could see by peeping through the door from
                            the next room; that each bootlegger would come at his appointed hour
                            and minute and leave in the bowl huge amounts of cash in
                            thousand-dollar or five-hundred-dollar bills; that as soon as the
                            bootlegger left, Means would enter, count the money, and check off the
                            contribution; and that in this way be collected a total of fully seven
                            million dollars which he turned over to Jess Smith, the
                            collector-in-chief for the Ohio Gang, who shared an apartment in
                            Washington with Attorney-General Daugherty.

                            Means further asserted that the swag from this and other forms of
                            graft was kept hidden—many thousand dollars at a time—in a metal box
                            buried in the back yard of the house which he occupied at 903
                            Sixteenth Street in Washington; he described this house and yard as
                            being protected with a high wire fence and fitted out with a code
                            signal system and other secret devices such as would delight a gang of
                            small boys playing pirate.

                            Jess Smith committed suicide—at least that was the official verdict—in
                            1923 in the apartment which he shared with Harry Daugherty. Means
                            claimed that just before this tragedy took place, the gang had
                            discovered that Smith, like the careful shopkeeper he had been before
                            he was brought to Washington by Daugherty to occupy a desk in the
                            Department of justice—had kept a record of all the cash which had
                            passed through his hands, and that Smith, terrified at the thought of
                            his guilt and his secret knowledge, had been playing with the idea of
                            turning state's witness against the gang. According to Means, the gang
                            thereupon decided that Smith must be disposed of. Although Smith was
                            afraid of firearms, he was persuaded to purchase a revolver on One of
                            his trips to Ohio. And the "suicide" which followed—so Means plainly
                            indicated, as many others had already suspected—was no suicide at all.

                            Finally, Means drew attention to the astonishing mortality among those
                            who had been in on the secrets of the gang. Not only had Smith dropped
                            out of the picture, but also John T. King (who had received the Merton
                            bonds), C. F. Hately (a Department of justice agent), C. F. Cramer
                            (attorney for the Veterans' Bureau), Thurston (the Boston lawyer who
                            represented many clients before the Alien Property Custodian), T. B.
                            Felder (attorney for the Harding group), President Harding, Mrs.
                            Harding, and General Sawyer. They had all died—most of them
                            suddenly—within a few years of the end of the Harding Administration.

                            No matter how much or how little credence one may give to these latter
                            charges and their implications, the proved evidence is enough to
                            warrant the statement that the Harding Administration was responsible
                            in its short two years and five months for more concentrated robbery
                            and rascality than any other in the whole history of the Federal
                            Government.
                            [6]

                            And how did the American people take these disclosures? Did they rise
                            in wrath to punish the offenders?

                            When the oil scandals were first spread across the front pages of the
                            newspapers, early in 1924, there was a wave of excitement sufficient
                            to force the resignations of Denby and Daugherty and to bring about
                            the appointment by the new President, Calvin Coolidge, of special
                            Government counsel to deal with the oil cases. But the harshest
                            condemnation on the part of the press and the public was reserved, not
                            for those who had defrauded the government, but for those who insisted
                            on bringing the facts to light. Senator Walsh, who led the
                            investigation of the oil scandals, and Senator Wheeler, who
                            investigated the Department of justice, were called by the New York
                            Tribune "the Montana scandalmongers." The New York Evening Post called
                            them mud-gunners." The New York Times, despite its Democratic
                            leanings, called them "assassins of character." In these and other
                            newspapers throughout the country one read of the "Democratic
                            lynching-bee" and "poison-tongued partisanship, pure malice, and
                            twittering hysteria," and the inquiries were called "in plain words,
                            contemptible and disgusting."

                            Newspaper-readers echoed these amiable sentiments. Substantial
                            business men solemnly informed one another that mistakes might have
                            been made but that it was unpatriotic to condemn them and thus to
                            "cast discredit on the Government," and that those who insisted on
                            probing them to the bottom were "nothing better than Bolsheviki." One
                            of the leading super-patriots of the land, Fred R. Marvin of the Key
                            Men of America, said the whole oil scandal was the result of "a
                            gigantic international conspiracy . . . of the internationalists, or
                            shall we call them socialists and communists?" A commuter riding daily
                            to New York from his suburb at this period observed that on the
                            seven-o'clock train there was some indignation at the scandals, but
                            that on the eight-o'clock train there was only indignation at their
                            exposure and that on the nine-o'clock train they were not even
                            mentioned. When, a few months later, John W. Davis, campaigning for
                            the Presidency on the Democratic ticket, made political capital of the
                            Harding scandals, the opinion of the majority seemed to be that what
                            he said was in bad taste, and Davis was snowed under at the polls. The
                            fact was that any relentless investigation of the scandals threatened
                            to disturb, if only slightly, the status quo, and disturbance of the
                            status quo was the last thing that the dominant business class or the
                            country at large wanted.

                            They had voted for normalcy and they still believed in it. The most
                            that they required of the United States Government was that it should
                            keep its hands off business (except to give it a lift now and then
                            through the imposition of favorable tariffs and otherwise) and be
                            otherwise unobtrusive. They did not look for bold and far-seeing
                            statesman. ship at Washington; their idea of statesmanship on the part
                            of the President was that he should let things alone, give industry
                            and trade a chance to garner fat profits, and not "rock the boat."
                            They realized that their selection of Harding had been something of a
                            false start toward the realization of this modest ideal. Harding had
                            been a little too hail-fellow-well-met, and his amiability had led him
                            into associations which brought about unfortunate publicity, and
                            unfortunate publicity had a tendency to rock the boat. But the basic
                            principle remained sound: all the country needed now was a President
                            who combined with unobtrusiveness and friendliness toward business an
                            unimpeachable integrity and an indisposition to have his leg pulled;
                            and this sort of President they now had. The inscrutable workings of
                            Providence had placed in the office left vacant by Harding the precise
                            embodiment of this revised presidential ideal. Calvin Coolidge was
                            unobtrusive to the last degree; he would never try to steer the ship
                            of state into unknown waters; and at the same time he was sufficiently
                            honest and circumspect to prevent any unseemly revelry from taking
                            place on the decks. Everything was, therefore, as it should be. Why
                            weaken public confidence in Harding's party, and thus in Harding's
                            successor, by going into the unfortunate episodes of the past? The
                            best thing to do was to let bygones be bygones.

                            As the years went by and the scandals which came to light grew in
                            number and in scope, it began to appear that the "mistakes" of 1921-23
                            had been larger than the friends of normalcy had supposed when they
                            vented their spleen upon Senator Walsh. But the testimony, coming out
                            intermittently as it did, was confusing and hard to piece together;
                            plain citizens could not keep clear in their minds such complicated
                            facts as those relating to the Continental bonds or the Daugherty
                            bank-accounts; and the steady passage of time made the later
                            investigations seem like a washing of very ancient dirty linen.
                            Business was good, the Coolidge variety of normalcy was working to the
                            satisfaction of the country, Coolidge was honest; why dwell
                            unnecessarily on the past? Resentment at the scandals and resentment
                            at the scandalmongers both gave way to a profound and untroubled
                            apathy. When the full story of the Continental Trading Company deal
                            became known, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., as a large stockholder in the
                            Standard Oil of Indiana, waged war against Colonel Stewart and managed
                            to put him out of the chairmanship of the company; but the business
                            world as a whole seemed to find nothing wrong in Colonel Stewart's
                            performance. The voice of John the B<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                              My recollection of Jess Smith is that he was a crony,
                              who was a frequent companion of Florence Harding, who
                              he and Warren called 'Duchess' due to her overblown
                              aristocratic airs. He also acted as a liaison for
                              Warren's affairs, including sneaking women into the
                              White House. I seem to remember that he was found dead
                              in an apparent suicide, a bullet to his right temple
                              and though he was left-handed, the AG refused to
                              investigate, the insinuation being that he was killed
                              by someone inside the administration. He had been
                              selling off massive amounts of federal liquor to cover
                              his debts from playing the market very badly.
                              Thanks for sending the info, Ram.

                              === message truncated ===