When Nixon defends you...look out!

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2005
      After years of researching Richard Nixon, which has often been met
      with amusement by friends, I exhume from my database the following
      nugget. David Frost interviewed Nixon in the late 1970's, and as a
      result there are many hours of tape providing much information.

      The following though, should make Bush nervous, as the White House
      meets the outrage from a troubled nation over illegal activities
      against Americans.

      FROST:
      So what in a sense, you're saying is that there are certain
      situations, and the Huston Plan or that part of it was one of them,
      where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the
      nation or something, and do something illegal.

      NIXON:
      Well, when the president does it that means that it is not illegal.

      FROST:
      By definition.

      NIXON:
      Exactly. Exactly. If the president, for example, approves something
      because of the national security, or in this case because of a threat
      to internal peace and order of significant magnitude, then the
      president's decision in that instance is one that enables those who
      carry it out, to carry it out without violating a law. Otherwise
      they're in an impossible position.

      And we all recall that Nixon fared so well with the American people
      too...