My Thoughts On Bush's Latest Actions

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
      It just keeps getting worse.

      I already thought I knew of the very worst decisions and polices from
      the Bush White House, and nothing could happen that would make me
      surprised anymore. I was wrong.

      I am shocked to learn that there is now an even more perplexing and
      blatantly unconstitutional attack on Americans being waged by this
      utterly corrupt Administration. By using the National Security
      Administration (NSA) to obtain information on citizens, without
      utilizing existing judicial procedures, should outrage all who still
      believe in a place called America.

      Bush has never had any use for constitutional law and clearly has
      only contempt for civil liberties. It is imperative that sober-minded
      citizens stand up and rebuke in the clearest words possible, so that
      even Bush can understand, that we will not condone this horrific
      action.

      No American needs to be told of the horrors of terrorism. We lived
      through the days of 9/11 and do not require the fear tactics from
      Karl Rove and company to explain their "rationale" for these
      unwarranted and illegal NSA activities. There is no explanation.
      There is no justification.

      A President does not destroy our constitutional safeguards and civil
      liberties in the guise of trying to "protect America". If our
      country's democratic foundations are good enough to export to Iraq
      with the aid of our blood-soaked soldiers, they are good enough for
      Americans who live here, pay their taxes, still believe in law and
      order, and due process.

      George Bush is doing more harm to our country, and all that it stands
      for, than any terrorist could ever achieve.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
        I agree with you completely, Gregory. There's one
        thing about this that's particularly confusing to me
        about all this: why didn't they seek warrants? Is it
        just laziness, or are they spying on someone other
        than terrorist suspects and don't want a court to know
        about it? The Defense Tech site puts it better than I
        can:

        Wiretaps' Fishy Rationale

        It's no surprise that the President defended the NSA's
        domestic eavesdropping this morning; the guy backs
        every decision he makes, to the death. And it's no
        surprise to learn that the President had "reauthorized
        the program more than 30 times since the terrorist
        attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and plans to continue doing
        so," according to the AP.

        But what's odd is why the Administration felt they
        needed to avoid geting warrants for the wiretaps, in
        the first place. As Josh notes:

        [T]he prime rationale for this program appears to
        have been to avoid the time and bureaucratic hurdles
        involved in getting warrants.

        In the abstract, there sounds like there might be
        some merit in that argument, especially considering
        the importance of speed in counter-terrorism work.

        The problem is that the FISA Court -- the secret
        court set up to handle just such warrant requests --
        is designed for speed. And it is known for being
        extremely indulgent of government applications for
        warrants...

        It turns out that FISA specifically empowers the
        Attorney General or his designee to start wiretapping
        on an emergency basis even without a warrant so long
        as a retroactive application is made for one "as soon
        as practicable, but not more than 72 hours after the
        Attorney General authorizes such surveillance." (see
        specific citation, here)...

        All of this, of course, is separate from the issue
        of the president overruling a federal statute by
        executive order -- something that by definition a
        president cannot do. But something seems fishy about
        the rationale itself.

        But that's not the only fishy thing here. In his radio
        address today, the President said:

        The existence of this secret program was revealed
        in media reports after being improperly provided to
        news organizations. As a result, our enemies have
        learned information they should not have, and the
        unauthorized disclosure of this effort damages our
        national security and puts our citizens at risk.

        Which implies that, somehow, suspected jihadists might
        not have known before that the government could be
        eavesdropping on them. Realistically, what are the
        chances of that?

        UPDATE 2:05 PM EST: Also, if the Administration thinks
        it basically has the power to do whatever it damn
        pleases -- detain Americans indefinitely, torture
        terror suspects, eavesdrop without a warrant -- then
        why bother pushing for the Patriot Act? What do you
        need new laws for, if you're already allowed to use
        every trick in the book?

        UPDATE 12/18/05: Ryan says the same thing, but better.
        And be sure to check out this WaPo page one analysis:

        In his four-year campaign against al Qaeda,
        President Bush has turned the U.S. national security
        apparatus inward to secretly collect information on
        American citizens on a scale unmatched since the
        intelligence reforms of the 1970s.

        December 17, 2005 12:33 PM

        http://www.defensetech.org/

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
          Your very question is the heart of the matter. There are existing
          measures in place for any President (even prior to 9/11) to seek out
          info on a person prior to getting a federal judge to OK a warrant.
          The government can use 72 hours to track and research a person. If a
          warrant is then given, fine. If not then the info must be destroyed
          and the wire-tapping etc. stopped.

          Since no warrants were given for perhaps thousands of
          Americans...well this is total BS!

          Gregory

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
            > Bush has never had any use for constitutional law and clearly has
            > only contempt for civil liberties. It is imperative that

            Bush is still the same fraternity President at Yale that he once was.
            He never grew up. To him, being the Commander in Chief is still a game
            of playing dress-up and acting cool.

            More than six thousand Katrina victim are still missing. But then, why
            would he give a damn.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2005
              After 5 years of one outrage after another, I'm too
              inured to feel any kind of special outrage other than
              the fact that the power structure, ie the
              Washington/New York press corps, Democrats, moderate
              Republicans. etc., was so afraid of this bunch that
              they would not criticize, much less debunk lies, or
              expose stolen elections, politically motivated
              war-mongering and the most corrupt climate since
              Harding.
              That's the real outrage.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/CvmplB/TM