Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2005
      http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

      Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece
      of paper'
      By DOUG THOMPSON
      Dec 9, 2005, 07:53

      Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed
      into the Oval Office to meet with President George W.
      Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA
      Patriot Act.

      Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell
      shocked period immediately following the 9/11
      terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal
      groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had
      joined forces with prominent conservatives like
      Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.

      GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew
      the more onerous provisions of the act could further
      alienate conservatives still mad at the President from
      his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel
      Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

      “I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the
      President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

      “Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There
      is a valid case that the provisions in this law
      undermine the Constitution.”

      “Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush
      screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

      I’ve talked to three people present for the meeting
      that day and they all confirm that the President of
      the United States called the Constitution “a goddamned
      piece of paper.”

      And, to the Bush Administration, the Constitution of
      the United States is little more than toilet paper
      stained from all the shit that this group of power-mad
      despots have dumped on the freedoms that “goddamned
      piece of paper” used to guarantee.

      Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, while still White
      House counsel, wrote that the “Constitution is an
      outdated document.”

      Put aside, for a moment, political affiliation or
      personal beliefs. It doesn’t matter if you are a
      Democrat, Republican or Independent. It doesn’t matter
      if you support the invasion or Iraq or not. Despite
      our differences, the Constitution has stood for two
      centuries as the defining document of our government,
      the final source to determine – in the end – if
      something is legal or right.

      Every federal official – including the President – who
      takes an oath of office swears to “uphold and defend
      the Constitution of the United States."

      Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says he cringes
      when someone calls the Constitution a “living
      document.”

      “"Oh, how I hate the phrase we have—a 'living
      document,’” Scalia says. “We now have a Constitution
      that means whatever we want it to mean. The
      Constitution is not a living organism, for Pete's
      sake.”

      As a judge, Scalia says, “I don't have to prove that
      the Constitution is perfect; I just have to prove that
      it's better than anything else.”

      President Bush has proposed seven amendments to the
      Constitution over the last five years, including a
      controversial amendment to define marriage as a “union
      between a man and woman.” Members of Congress have
      proposed some 11,000 amendments over the last decade,
      ranging from repeal of the right to bear arms to a
      Constitutional ban on abortion.

      Scalia says the danger of tinkering with the
      Constitution comes from a loss of rights.

      “We can take away rights just as we can grant new
      ones,” Scalia warns. “Don't think that it's a one-way
      street.”

      And don’t buy the White House hype that the USA
      Patriot Act is a necessary tool to fight terrorism. It
      is a dangerous law that infringes on the rights of
      every American citizen and, as one brave aide told
      President Bush, something that undermines the
      Constitution of the United States.

      But why should Bush care? After all, the Constitution
      is just “a goddamned piece of paper.”