Re: Former Sen. Eugene McCarthy, 89, Dies

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2005
      Gene was the A-students' candidate in 1968. He has lived a great life,
      and even figured to find the easy way out during his sleep. (I hope I
      will be able to do the same when my time comes.)

      I've always thought of him as the Howard Dean of his era. This is from
      PBS's website:

      Kennedy tried to make light of his struggles. "Gene gets all the A
      students and I get all the C students," he joked to an aide. But as
      someone who had always banked on his youthfulness and intelligence,
      Kennedy bristled at losing the some of the support of the
      intelligentsia and college campuses. Still, Kennedy drew huge crowds,
      and an unprecedented turnout of African American and Latino
      supporters. He said of himself, "Let's face it, I appeal best to
      people who have problems." Jack Newfield says "it was the most
      emotional adulation, I've ever seen in politics." McCarthy, on the
      other hand, had won very little support among African Americans and
      Latinos.

      No matter how people will judge him and his legacy, he will forever be
      one of the favorite sons of the liberal state of Minnesota.