Tom Delay in trouble

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Tom Delay is in for the fight of his life getting
      re-elected. For those who may not know, Nick Lampson,
      one of the US congressmen that Delay gerrymandered
      out of his seat has moved to Delay's district to run
      against him.
      Poll numbers below:

      USA TODAY/CNN GALLUP POLL

      Tom DeLay poll

      Results are based on telephone interviews with 803
      adults in the 22nd Congressional district in Texas,
      aged 18+, conducted December 1-4, 2005.. For results
      based on the total sample of adults in the 22nd
      Congressional district in Texas, one can say with 95%
      confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±4
      percentage points.

      1. If Tom DeLay runs for re-election in 2006, in
      general, are you more likely to vote for the
      Republican candidate Tom DeLay or for the Democratic
      Party's candidate for Congress?

      DeLay Democratic candidate Other (vol.) No
      opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 36 49 3 12
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 34 47 4 15
      2. Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some
      people in the news. As I read each name, please say
      if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of
      these people -- or if you have never heard of them.

      A. Texas Congressman, Tom DeLay

      Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 37 52 1 10
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 35 50 3 12
      B. Travis County District Attorney, Ronnie Earle

      Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 21 22 40 17
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 19 19 44 18
      C. Former Texas Congressman, Nick Lampson

      Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 28 11 37 24
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 25 10 40 25
      3. As you may know, Tom DeLay has been indicted on
      charges that he broke campaign finance laws. Based on
      what you have heard or read, do you think the charges
      against DeLay are definitely true, probably true,
      probably not true, (or) definitely not true?

      Definitely true Probably true Probably not true
      Definitely not true No opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 15 40 26 8 11
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 15 40 24 7 14
      4. Which best describes your view about the actions
      taken by the District Attorney in this case?

      Fairly enforce the law Hurt DeLay politically No
      opinion
      Registered Voters
      2005 Dec 1-4 46 45 9
      All Residents
      2005 Dec 1-4 45 43 12
      Results are based on telephone interviews with 803
      adults in the 22nd Congressional district in Texas,
      aged 18+, conducted December 1-4, 2005. For results
      based on the total sample of adults in the 22nd
      Congressional district in Texas, one can say with 95%
      confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±4
      percentage points. .

      For results based on the sample of 713 registered
      voters, the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4
      percentage points.

      Interviews were conducted in both English and Spanish.
      (17 out of the 803 interviews with Hispanics were
      conducted in Spanish).

      In addition to sampling error, question wording and
      practical difficulties in conducting surveys can
      introduce error or bias into the findings of public
      opinion polls.

      http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-plame6dec06,0,4392410.story?coll=ny-leadnationalnews-headlines

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/CvmplB/TM