Plame Is Set to Leave the CIA

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-plame6dec06,0,4392410.story?coll=ny-leadnationalnews-headlines

      From the Los Angeles Times
      THE NATION

      Plame Is Set to Leave the CIA
      The operative whose covert identity was revealed in a
      2003 column wants to spend more time with her family,
      friends say.

      By Richard B. Schmitt
      Times Staff Writer

      December 6, 2005

      WASHINGTON — Valerie Plame, the diplomat's wife whose
      secret resume was exposed in a newspaper column that
      eventually led to the indictment of Vice President
      Dick Cheney's chief of staff, is leaving the CIA on
      Friday, people familiar with her plans said.

      Plame, 42, worked undercover for the CIA tracking
      weapons proliferation but saw her clandestine career
      imperiled after she was identified as an agency
      operative in the summer of 2003 in a syndicated column
      by Robert Novak.

      Friends said the mother of 5-year-old twins wanted to
      spend more time with her family, and that although she
      agreed to be photographed last year with her husband
      for an article about the case in Vanity Fair magazine,
      she had no plans to speak out.

      There has also been speculation that she would file a
      civil lawsuit against the Bush administration
      contending that it leaked her identity and damaged her
      career.

      "She did not have a career left," said Larry C.
      Johnson, a former CIA officer and a friend of Plame
      since the two were in the same agency training class
      in the 1980s. "She was no longer able to work as a
      clandestine officer, which was her reason for being."

      Johnson said that although Plame still had allies at
      the agency, her ability to function effectively was
      irreparably harmed after her status became publicly
      known.

      "She is either a non-entity or radioactive," Johnson
      said. "Getting connected with her is not something
      that is going to enhance your career. She has been
      something of a leper."

      Plame has been with the CIA for 20 years; the decision
      to leave makes her eligible to collect retirement
      benefits in the future, Johnson said. Her effective
      retirement date will be in January, but her last day
      at work will be Friday.

      Plame is married to Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former
      ambassador, who was sent by the CIA to Africa in
      February 2002 to evaluate claims that Saddam Hussein
      was trying to buy weapons-grade uranium in Niger.
      Wilson found the claims unverifiable and publicly
      criticized the intelligence used by the administration
      to justify the war against Iraq.

      Administration officials began a campaign to discredit
      Wilson and identified Plame in conversations with
      several journalists, potentially violating a law
      against unmasking undercover agents. A federal grand
      jury recently indicted former Cheney aide I. Lewis
      "Scooter" Libby on charges that he repeatedly lied to
      investigators.

      A Justice Department special prosecutor, Patrick J.
      Fitzgerald, is continuing to investigate, and among
      his potential targets are White House political
      advisor Karl Rove, who has acknowledged being a source
      for the July 14, 2003, Novak column that named Plame.

      Fitzgerald has indicated that he plans to present
      evidence to a new grand jury soon. He is to interview
      Time magazine correspondent Viveca Novak this week
      about a conversation she had last year with Robert D.
      Luskin, Rove's lawyer. Time's Novak is not related to
      the columnist.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
        Tom Delay is in for the fight of his life getting
        re-elected. For those who may not know, Nick Lampson,
        one of the US congressmen that Delay gerrymandered
        out of his seat has moved to Delay's district to run
        against him.
        Poll numbers below:

        USA TODAY/CNN GALLUP POLL

        Tom DeLay poll

        Results are based on telephone interviews with 803
        adults in the 22nd Congressional district in Texas,
        aged 18+, conducted December 1-4, 2005.. For results
        based on the total sample of adults in the 22nd
        Congressional district in Texas, one can say with 95%
        confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±4
        percentage points.

        1. If Tom DeLay runs for re-election in 2006, in
        general, are you more likely to vote for the
        Republican candidate Tom DeLay or for the Democratic
        Party's candidate for Congress?

        DeLay Democratic candidate Other (vol.) No
        opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 36 49 3 12
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 34 47 4 15
        2. Next, we'd like to get your overall opinion of some
        people in the news. As I read each name, please say
        if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of
        these people -- or if you have never heard of them.

        A. Texas Congressman, Tom DeLay

        Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 37 52 1 10
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 35 50 3 12
        B. Travis County District Attorney, Ronnie Earle

        Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 21 22 40 17
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 19 19 44 18
        C. Former Texas Congressman, Nick Lampson

        Favorable Unfavorable Never heard of No opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 28 11 37 24
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 25 10 40 25
        3. As you may know, Tom DeLay has been indicted on
        charges that he broke campaign finance laws. Based on
        what you have heard or read, do you think the charges
        against DeLay are definitely true, probably true,
        probably not true, (or) definitely not true?

        Definitely true Probably true Probably not true
        Definitely not true No opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 15 40 26 8 11
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 15 40 24 7 14
        4. Which best describes your view about the actions
        taken by the District Attorney in this case?

        Fairly enforce the law Hurt DeLay politically No
        opinion
        Registered Voters
        2005 Dec 1-4 46 45 9
        All Residents
        2005 Dec 1-4 45 43 12
        Results are based on telephone interviews with 803
        adults in the 22nd Congressional district in Texas,
        aged 18+, conducted December 1-4, 2005. For results
        based on the total sample of adults in the 22nd
        Congressional district in Texas, one can say with 95%
        confidence that the margin of sampling error is ±4
        percentage points. .

        For results based on the sample of 713 registered
        voters, the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4
        percentage points.

        Interviews were conducted in both English and Spanish.
        (17 out of the 803 interviews with Hispanics were
        conducted in Spanish).

        In addition to sampling error, question wording and
        practical difficulties in conducting surveys can
        introduce error or bias into the findings of public
        opinion polls.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/CvmplB/TM