president for a day

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
      this is from the History1Day yahoo group. i've heard
      conflicting opinions on whether atchison really was
      legally president, and also whether he regarded
      himself as president on that day. what do you all
      think?

      President For A Day Atchison
      1807 Birth: David Atchison, born in Frogtown, attended
      a University in Lexington and studied law. He was a
      Senator for Missouri; member of the state house of
      representatives in 1834 and in 1838; the judge of the
      Platte County circuit court in 1841, and chairman of
      the Committee on the Militia. He died at his home
      January 26, 1886 in Plattsburg, MO. Atchison served as
      unofficial President of the United States for a day on
      Sunday - March 4, 1849. Vice-President George Dallas
      had resigned, leaving Atchison (President of the
      Senate) next in line for the Presidency. James Polk
      resigned his office a day early to head home to
      Tennessee and Zachary Taylor refused to take the Oath
      of Office on a Sunday for religious reasons. Although
      Atchison never took the Oath of Office, his tombstone
      does list him as President for that day. What is more
      interesting is that history records that, because of
      fatigue from inaugural partying the night before,
      Atchison slept through the entire day of his Presidency.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
        When asked what he did on this day, he commented "I went to bed.
        There had been two or three busy nights finishing up the work of the
        Senate, and I slept most of that Sunday." He boasted that
        his "presidency" as "the honestest administration this country ever
        had."