Re: New book says Aaron Burr was a British spy

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2005
      Whoa, more bad news about Vice-President Burr! (All of a sudden Agnew
      and Cheney look like comparatively okay Veeps.) I thought this one was
      pretty bad:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047139209X
      Aaron Burr : Conspiracy to Treason (Hardcover)
      by Buckner F. Melton Jr.
      "Aaron Burr's contemporaries did not think very highly of him.
      Alexander Hamilton, who could not know how prescient he was, called
      the vice president "a dangerous man, and one not to be trusted with
      the reins of the government." John Adams exclaimed that Burr was an
      "encouragement to party intrigue, and corruption!" Others referred to
      him as a "modern Machiavelli." And Burr, as Melton shows, had little
      trouble living up to his reputation. Feeling spurned by his own
      partner in office, President Jefferson, who indeed had little
      affection for him, Burr set out to make his own fortune by conspiring
      to unite the territory west of the Mississippi and secede from the
      United States. Plotting elaborately, Burr tried to play the English
      government against the U.S. and manipulated the Spanish government in
      an attempt to gain access to its western territory. But Burr's
      reputation had long preceded him, and both the British and the
      Spanish, as well as numerous would-be supporters like Andrew Jackson,
      turned Burr in to Jefferson as a traitor. Although Burr was never
      convicted of treason, he left the U.S. soon after his highly
      publicized trial and died a broken and lonely man. Melton, a professor
      of law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, provides a
      scintillating blow-by-blow account of Burr's treason trial,
      introducing players like Judge John Marshall who were to become key
      figures in the history of U.S. jurisprudence. Drawing on the rich
      documentary history of the Burr conspiracy case, he weaves a
      spellbinding tale of betrayal and intrigue against the backdrop of a
      new nation struggling to define its laws and its geographical
      boundaries. Maps and illus."

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>