Old news, old jokes, old gripe.

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2004
      Yeah, I know it's old, but the cracks go on and on and I'm afraid
      that if I'm 100 years old on my deathbed and a doctor cracks a joke
      about George W. Bush never really being elected, I may say "Hey I've
      nothing to lose" and kick the good doctor in the nutsack. And that
      wouldn't be right.

      So, here it is. George W. Bush won the popular vote in the state of
      Florida. They tried to recount, but the Florida system is so screwed
      up that they didn't complete the recount by the deadline. Add to
      that political activists filing all kinds of lawsuits, to re-define
      the angle at which a chad hangs that determines a vote, or to bring
      in psychics to tell us what the voter was thinking at the time, and
      all the poor cross-eyed ballot counters... bottom line is that they
      ran out of time.

      The Florida Supreme Court tried to change the rules of the election
      after it was played out. The U.S. Supreme Court overruled them,
      because you can't change the rules of an election after the election
      takes place. There is a reason for rules.

      What if the Democrats had been allowed to recount the ballots in
      their own special way, causing Gore to win? How legitimate would
      Gore be, since the REAL count of ballots showed that Bush was the
      winner?

      I'm not a Bush fan right now. I intend to never vote for him again.
      But that is the way I remember it going down.

      I'm afraid I'm still gonna kick that doctor. But thanks for caring.

      Now, to the bar!
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
        Gore actually won the state-wide recounts, according to Krugman.
        Secondary sources are supposed to be not reliable though. :-)

        The electoral system sucks and should be replaced by a more direct
        process anyway.